This is becoming a complete farce

I know  all the reasons given , Chinese New Year, problems with Brexit , Shipping containers in the wrong place .Bla Bla Bla . I just think it a complete joke now . What I am talking about "Out Of Stock "  FMS Rafale due out in October ,(that is 6 months ago,) several release date later now no release date "TBA " after 6 months come on ,Dynams Hawker Hunter another no show , latest release date end on March .Motion RC Europe  21 models "Out Of Stock"  .Not likely to be restock for at least   10 weeks What is happening to the RC modelling world  It has come to a point I want to buy a new model but can not due to "Out Off Stock " Looks like I might have to go back to building again .If I here the retailers moaning about loss off profit and they are in danger of going out off business. I'll scream   

Edited by tigerman

I afraid I agree with you Simon. I just brought the Freewing Gripen From Motion RC .Advertised price £380 .I knew about the VAT thing but it ended up for whatever reason a lot more them £380 with the exchange rate ,handling charge etc .That is the last model I buy from Motion RC 

I agree with Graham, the retailers, stockists are probably bemoaning their lack of trade and profit because they don't have anything to sell.

Covid and lockdown are testing the patience of us all and some in the wider modelling world have probably lost their jobs and some small trader maybe gone out of business.

Not Preaching but we have endured so far, so a little longer on the sofa, trying to find something to watch on the telly or cursing the idiots on whinge radio or wearing out the flight sim may be the order of the day.

17 hours ago, tigerman said:

That is the last model I buy from Motion RC

I'm intrigued to see the breakdown of what you paid and how the exchange rate affected the advertised price of £380.

Advertised price right now (even though no stock) is £310 for the PNP version. Shipping is shown as free to UK. Plus collection tax from RM, around £10 - £15 depending on the time of day and phase of the moon. Plus VAT on declared value and collection fee, would make around £380.

I'm wondering what else you paid for - I can't see any other taxes to pay... There should be no customs/duty on our toys. Lots of our stuff is available from the US but shipping will be prohibitive, I'd guess around £40 - £50 on something like an airframe purely due to size. Then you pay VAT on the shipping...

Imagine a RC shop gets all the latest designs in and the prices have sky rocketed due to all the thing going on in the world . They have to pay up front for their stock and thats if the wholesalers have got the stock; then Flyers come in to buy  them and are shocked at the price increases , have a moan and walk out leaving the shop holding the baby (stock) . What happens then. 

So try looking at it from the shops point of view occasionally . I can fully understand why Wholesalers and shops wont get these new  "Must Have"highly priced items.

. So why not "Start building again" if you can find any decent balsa ? . Items from China will I feel never be as cheap again so get used to it .

KEEP CALM

AND

STOP WHINGEING ?

PS Our LMS owners should be classed as local heros  for trying to keep us old modelers sane throughout the lockdown .

Edited by Engine Doctor
  • Like 2

With you ED. There are bigger concerns than availability of our toys!

Let's focus on what we can do, not what we can't. I have never had such a huge opportunity to have time to do stuff as this last year. Time is our most precious resource, so use it wisely. So I can't fly? I can, and have done lots of jobs on the house that 'I don't have time for', read more books than I own including the ones I 'must read one day', and really sharpened my musical chops. More to the point, my family have our health and a roof over our heads...

• Like 2

Our prices have gone up as the cost of ali has risen sharply and that rather sucks. 

On the FMS thing, another thing to consider is that there is worldwide silicon shortage with all kinds of computer chips being almost completely unavailable. 

Computer gaming graphics cards are non existent and cpu's are not much better. Game consoles are the same. These shortages have also delayed/halted production for BMW, VW, Mercedes and half of detroit as they cant get chips for engine ecu's etc. 

I would also echo the comments made by Graham and ED. We are talking about toys. You cant buy a new toy, boo hoo. It might be annoying, but its probably far more annoying for anyone who makes a living selling said toys and has little or nothing to sell. 

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines
  • Like 2

It may be a bit worse at the moment but this isn't new... about 12 months ago I wanted a new plane for my 15cc petrol. Took me a long hard search to find anything available, suitable, desirable and reasonably priced (I seem to be harder to please now I am retired...).

That plane has since increased in price by 25% or so.

The silver lining is that I have taken all the older 'benched' planes from my loft and am gradually making them airworthy as instant replacements for any I break come March 29h.

GG  

@tigerman- like Nigel R I'd also be intrigued to hear about your cost breakdown experience for the Gripen from Motion RC.

My own recent experience from a Republic or Ireland (EU) purchase (over the ~£145 threshold) was remarkably good.  Prior to final delivery (with GLS, it's Parcelforce here) I only had to pay the 20% UK VAT and just one single "other" £2 fee.  The subtracted Irish VAT rate was 23%, so in total I might even have made an overall saving! That said, I suspect my seller used a method which pre-paid most of the various carriage expenses.    

On 05/03/2021 at 10:38, Engine Doctor said:

Imagine a RC shop gets all the latest designs in and the prices have sky rocketed due to all the thing going on in the world . They have to pay up front for their stock and thats if the wholesalers have got the stock; then Flyers come in to buy  them and are shocked at the price increases , have a moan and walk out leaving the shop holding the baby (stock) . What happens then. 

So try looking at it from the shops point of view occasionally . I can fully understand why Wholesalers and shops wont get these new  "Must Have"highly priced items.

. So why not "Start building again" if you can find any decent balsa ? . Items from China will I feel never be as cheap again so get used to it .

KEEP CALM

AND

STOP WHINGEING ?

PS Our LMS owners should be classed as local heros  for trying to keep us old modelers sane throughout the lockdown .

Yes, this, ALL of this!