Hi start system

Robert Edney

An interesting read! I haven't used my heavy duty hi-start for about 3 years now so I really need to check it over as I want to use it on a full size Bird of Time I acquired which has only been flown from the slope. On recollection I think the hi-start has 30m of tubing, (I can't remember the diameter) and about 90m of 80lb b/s mono-filament fishing line. It was used previously to launch a 2m mouldie and a large spiral dog stake to anchor it. I never experienced any issues with the stake as an anchor, but the ground has always been very firm. 

I've just made a hi-start for my micro Bird of Time (48") which consists of 5m 1/8" F.A.I. rubber, (for rubber powered models) & 30m of 15lb b/s braided fishing line. This set up works a treat and I use a large screwdriver to anchor that, but with such a light model, (118gm) there isn't a great deal of tension on the line. I will probably change the screwdriver for a heavy duty tent peg once I can get the camping gear out. 

Micro BoT.jpg

I think mine must have been what they call 'heavy duty' and maybe ott, but I was using it for an F3b model (a Valenta Dragon) and what used to be F3j, 3.5m RES woodie with aluminium spars no less. 

I did have a mini bungee of 1/8" square FAI rubber which I used to fling up a Talon. 

• Like 1