New Frsky X20 breaks cover

MattyB

The Ethos ports for the X10 (and the coming X12S port) are beta test at the moment so hopefully significant bugs won't appear in the final release.  So far there's no import/export utility for transferring models from either FrSky or OpenTX but that's not to say one won't appear in the near(ish) future.

One chappie on RCGroups has found that it's quite quick and easy to swap between OpenTX and Ethos on the X10 by keeping both installation files on the SD card and copying whichever you want to FIRMWARE.BIN.  I haven't tried it myself so don't know whether models are picked up correctly on reinstalling the alternate OS's.  Certainly sound and image folders use different names so should be able to co-exist on the SD card but I'm not sure about the Models folder.

9 minutes ago, Bob Cotsford said:

The Ethos ports for the X10 (and the coming X12S port) are beta test at the moment so hopefully significant bugs won't appear in the final release.  So far there's no import/export utility for transferring models from either FrSky or OpenTX but that's not to say one won't appear in the near(ish) future.

One chappie on RCGroups has found that it's quite quick and easy to swap between OpenTX and Ethos on the X10 by keeping both installation files on the SD card and copying whichever you want to FIRMWARE.BIN.  I haven't tried it myself so don't know whether models are picked up correctly on reinstalling the alternate OS's.  Certainly sound and image folders use different names so should be able to co-exist on the SD card but I'm not sure about the Models folder.

One of the big limitations in OpenTX seems to be the way model files are built up in OpenTX. The file structure doesn't seem to have a standard format with a header that allocates space but just stacks different aspects on top of one another. Have you noticed that nobody has been able to strip off the widget setting from a Horus model file to copy to another model? You have to set the widgets up on every model, very tedious especially if you like your own standard format. I wouldn't mind betting that this is something they have improved in Ethos, and thus I'm guessing it will have a quite different file format.

Presumably though Ethos should be possible to unpack each model info in much the same was as OpenTX already does, and then repack it in a new Ethos format.

Edited by Andy48

Yes, it's one of the annoying things in OTX, you can't even manipulate widgets in Companion as they are as good as invisible.  I'm moving towards using a complex template model which forms the basis of new models, but even that only works if everything has the same telemetry available.  I'm waiting on EthOS v17 before I try it on my X10S as there are bug fixes waiting to be applied to v16.  Something to do with reversed trims on certain TX models iirc.