Best way to lose height?

Tim Crow

These last few days have been surprisingly lifty mid-afternoon despite the blue high pressure. I'm lucky to live on a small estate built on a nice round hill the top of which is a large grass field so 5mins and I'm in a good place for any wind direction. My Easyglider4 was just a speck on a couple of occasions this afternoon in blue thermal, to the point where I needed to loose height to be comfortable - the tx bleeped a couple of times to indicate low/loss of signal! Crow-braking would be lovely in that situation but lack of flaps means I usually do a few mild aeros. However when it's just a speck I feel that is risky, having ripped the wings off another glider in the same situation. So how do you all lose height with a glider lacking flaps/brakes? I have the ailerons switchable to go up together but lack the mix to dial in down trim to keep it stable so it means a bit of hit and miss leaning on the stick as well. How about a flat spin, is that stable with full rudder and elevator? 

If you can get a true spin (not a spiral dive) then there is very little strain on the model.

Failing that I've found flying inverted works well. Try it lower down to start with to get an idea of how much 'down' elevator is needed to keep the speed sensible.

Yep, inverted or a flat spin are the two tried and trusted methods for an escaping lightweight without flaps or brakes. If it will do a flat spin I prefer that as there is no chance of over straining the wings, but not every model will.

With ailerons still full back, stick full to the side. If the plane has sufficient elevator power it will just spiral down pretty quick. Pull out gently.

You may find it spirals flatter one way then the other so it is a manoeuvre that is worth exploring in controlled conditions, you never know when it might be required in earnest.

Works for me even with my super light weights.