A Autogyro made from a Lidl Glider Mk2

Stephen Jones

• 4 weeks later...

I went to a local field today to fly my Autogyros.

A bit disappointed as are club field is not useable at the moment as it is boggy and the landing strip has not been mowed.

A local field that i  would normally use is full of people walking their dogs or have set-up picnics. 

So tried another field that i have used in the past same there, it did eventually die down. 

But the wind was hit and miss as one minute it was blowing then nothing at all the grass here also not mowed so could not use it to gain speed and the wind direction kept switching position.

I did manage to fly my Mk1 Lidl autogyro as i can do vertical takeoffs once the blades are up to speed, but at times would struggle as when the wind did blow it was very strong and again it would switch direction.

Anyway two flights done then i tried with the Mk2 version it was so frustrating as i could not get the blades up to speed while holding the model aloft, i think in part due to the wind direction switching.

Eventually i sat it on the ground and waited for the blades to get up to speed then throttled up i did manage to get it airborne but then it rolled to the right and i had no time to correct it as a result i broke the propellor so no more testing and will have to order a load of propellers.

Steve. ?

Stephen, I feel where you're coming from.

I have similar frustrations with my Durafly Auto-G at the moment. A couple of good flights marred by  a simple blow over on landing leading to something needing repair, Auto rotater not working properly, there always seems to be something.

But, the worst part is the wind; mainly coming from the south recently, it blows directly over our club installation causing awful turbulence and at 90 degrees to the strip to boot. I'm now just patiently waiting for a gentle Westerly or Easterly before continuing my autogyro adventures.  

Edited by Steve Colman

Hi Steve,

I have repaired the boom and motor mount on a Auto-G i was given, do you know where it should balance and if there's any down thrust needed on the motor.

I have had to fit a plywood firewall to mount my motor on as i do no not have the original motor or motor mount.

As i would like to get this one working too.

And thanks for your comments.

Cheers Steve

Hi Stephen,

I balance the Auto-G using the hang method; holding by the top of the mast and assessing the tail boom angle which should be more or less 15 degrees (nose down of course). I simply tape a sheet of paper to the wall which I have drawn angles at 12, 15, and 18 degrees and aim for somewhere in the middle as a starting point and adjust at the field if necessary.

Yes, the stock motor does have downthrust of around 4 degrees, although that's a rough estimate on my part. However, If you're using a motor with an X mount you can change it easily to suit using washers for example.

All the best with yours and let me know how you get on.

Oh, I've subscribed to your YT channel too.

Mine is "Artesanair" if you feel like taking a peek.

Steve.

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info i have now added some down thrust to my motor mount which i was going to get around to but nice to have the info to hand by someone who already has a Auto-G hand flies it.

large.992145472_AutoGMount.jpg.9b864a23ceea76812e9bc40c58054433.jpg

I have downloaded the manual somewhere so should be able to set the required throws.

But as yet I have not put a receiver in it so hopefully by the time the weather has sorted itself out should be ready to.

Cheers Steve.

Hi Stephen,

Glad to be of help. The manual doesn't give any throws unfortunately.

I have the rudder set to the right so that the control horn just clears the fin at max throw and the same amount set for left rudder - clevis is in outer hole.

Elevator is a similar story, max up just clears the bottom of the rudder with the same throw again set for down.

Aileron. This is more trial and error but I did the following. Looking from the rear, I set max left aileron to just clear the top of the tower and then did the same for right aileron.

This was my max rates at 100% setting. I also have lower rates of around 80% and 60% and I actually prefer the 60% setting. Control rods in the outermost hole on the head and third from centre at servo. I will move the servo end in one hole in the future for max mechanical advantage and readjust the rates accordingly.

Expo set as personal preference on all control throws.

Hope this helps.

I'm also planning/hoping to build a hybrid Auto-G with a few improvements incorporating the change to the tower/servo position as shown in the photos.

First shows stock - note the angle between the control rod and the head. Second shows my proposed mod which provides better alignment and less stress for the servo .

Auto-G 96a Stock.jpg

Auto-G 96b Modified.jpg

21 hours ago, Steve Colman said:

They're both flying really nice Steve. Next up the Auto-G I hope.

I fitted a simple Tx controlled switch to mine today to replace the stock prerotater which was really unreliable. With luck,I might even manage a test flight tomorrow.

Thanks Steve,

My Auto G does not have a Prerotator. 

But i do hope to get it flight ready soon just need to find a receiver to go in it.

Steve.

• 3 months later...

So Today I was flying my Autogyro and due to the hot weather and the fact I did not glue my Tailplane on it came off on My landing approach.

I managed to land it ok, so decided to give it a try without the Tailplane on. What could possibly go wrong after all it bounce well.

Steve.

• Like 1

Well done Steve,

There have been a few models over the years without a horizontal tailplane, Mickey Nowell in the USA being the main person and his were designed with that in mind. From experience I know that for a tractor to fly well in this configuration thrustline and CG's have to be a little more inline. You must have yours set up really well, without the tail you will be able to take it out in far windier conditions with no pitch buffeting.

Two thumbs up from me ??

Rich

BEGI.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...