Plan Built Sports Models

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/03/2021 at 14:01, Delks said:

first Rival was powered by an OS FP.40 and wing span was 48" - the same as the Quick Flash 20.

My error - the Quick Flash 20 was in fact 44" span but the first Rival was 48"span. 

4 Quick Flash.jpg

Edited by Delks

I can endorse a Wayfarer (https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5908

and had I known about this its younger sibling Acrostar (https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6256) being almost identical...

both on outer zone.

There is a slightly modified suppliment to the Acrostar called AcroFury (https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6242).

All are standard balsa / spruce /ply straightforward construction. Ply Cabane struts and Rubber bands for Wayfarer and Bentwire plus nylon bolts for Acrostar/AcroFury.

This was built last year on returning to aeromodelling due to pandemic furlough free time ?

Mine is a very nice flyer on 4S and 650-700 watts - 8 mins of conmfortable clubman aerobatics. Knife edge, Loops, Bunt's, Vertical Eight's indefinate inverted flight etc...

Walking pace landings what's not to like.

Just make sure you use sufficent "Rubber bands" to hold the top wing! My first few flights were interesting until the penny dropped... became a very very nice predicable machine exactly as described in the RCM article (plus make sure you build with 1/4 medium solid sheet tail as recommended by the original designer as a revision in a Svenson kit review also available on outer zone). 

Balsa/Ply, wheels, Wire etc cost me about £120 from Balsa cabin.

126_finished_17_Aug_2020.thumb.jpg.a589dcbe4a53c5586c92a593f2bed8b3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

I built an "Amelia" by Derek Woodward over lockdown. Plan is on OZ.

Some people had noted a weak wing joint but mine has been absolutely fine. 320W on 3S 2200 and an 11.5 x 5 prop, AUW about 2.75lb.

Flies beautifully. Slow and steady if you want, but nicely aerobatic if the mood takes you. One of the nicest flying models I have owned.

11884.jpg.740fb3d62132f54513b49271dcb585b3.jpg

IMG_20210417_091538_415.jpg

Edited by Matt Carlton
  • Like 4

On 12/03/2021 at 11:54, kc said:

Another lesser known model that deserves a mention is the Basic 3D by Mike Keay.   The version a clubmate built looked like an equal to a Wot4 - very few models are, but this one was! - so worth considering.  Its 58 inch span or the version without wingtips 52 inch span.   The magazine article is here.

Agree with KC, superb model. I built mine very light and it flew amazingly well.

• 4 months later...

I have just come across the  FUGLY STICK plan on Outerzone which is by Warren Brown of Melbourne Australia.  Seems a practical design that is well worth a look for a quick build funfly design.    Based on the the traditional Ugly Stik but with a thicker wing and smaller 52 inch span with just a .36 glow.   Seems to be a recent design but not published in any magazine and possibly just one built..

Personally I would prefer a different fin and rudder shape to the round shape from the Ugly Stik and I would say the normal torque rod u/c ( as Peter Miller and Boddington's designs ) would be better.   The other constructional details are worth a glance - such as dental floss ( ? ?) to sew the piano wire to the ply former and the ailerons built from flat strip and planed to a tapered section.   But I do like the formers built up from strip instead of big chunks of balsa and the use of square balsa reinforcement instead of expensive triangle balsa.   

Shouldn't confuse this design with the British kit  Fugly  which is different and maybe even uglier.

Edited by kc
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

After deciding that my previous effort at "Amelia" didn't really pass muster, I've decided to build another. A few lessons from the first time round, a few inconsistencies and draughting errors on the plan (possibly age related distortion?) and a couple of weeks got me to this point. 

Lots of fiddling, sanding, fiddling, sanding etc to go, but looking ok I think. 

IMG_20220722_122555.jpg

IMG_20220722_122759.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

The original had dowels to take rubber bands i think.  Later version may have had wing bolts with removeable canopy hiding them or bolts from underside instead.   Look for the latest plan which was a free plan with RCME years ago which had various modernisations.

The Maricardo Revisited article and revised plan by Paul Strawson was in RCME April 2004.   Many improvements including wing bolts from underneath and a hatch on fuselage underside for access to wing bolts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Advice on a low wing model

Now in my seventies I was brought up with David Boddington in the 1960's Single channel kit build macgregor transistor receiver and kit built rcm&e galloping ghost transmitter. Started building again two years ago and decided to go electric using DB's RM Trainer.( I hadn't seen Nigel r conversion) I now want to move on to a electric low winger and would like any help I can get. I don't need a great aerobatic model as I will be pleased to achieve  a simple level circuit! Do I build DB's aerobat, DB's Excellence or could I get away with Peter Miller's Ballerina. Any thoughts would be a great help.  Thank you.

Hound Dog, is a good subject. Not at all wild but does nice slow docile aerobatics when you want to.

You can still buy the latest issue with the plans in the Newsagents which will save a lot of money.

A friend who doesn't do wild aerobatics flew mine ad loved it and is going to build one himself

The Hound Dog build is here on the forum, and it's in the current issue of RCME.    Seems a suitable model for 'Failed Flyer'  although a larger model might be better as one gets older if eyesight is any problem  - Balllerina is a little larger.  

Otherwise consider the Rival or something with a big fat wing section.