Laminating film - buying it and using it.

Hi Ron,

I'm very interested in this product. I have a couple of questions for you,

1. In your opening post you said that you painted after lightly sanding (as it was a gloss finish) what paint did you use, I use a lot of spectrum type paint or car paints are these compatible to the film?

2. How easy does the film take to curves such as wing tips and nose cones.

3. It may be a simple question but how does the weight (38 microns) compare to other iron-on films g/m2.  

Regards

Robert

@Robert ParkerIn answer to your questions (good ones too!)

1. I've used acrylic paints (both water and solvent based) and Clearcoat only so cannot vouch for others. I think I've got some other cans laying around so may experiment with those and let all know.

2. Can be applied to both concave and convex surfaces, arguably not as easy as traditional covering film as the 'give' is not quite as much and you need higher temps to get there (150 degrees) and you do need to stretch it. But it does work!

3. According to Solarfilm theirs is 50 - 60 gsm, I've just weighed a 150m roll of lam film and that comes in at 46 GSM, so in the same ball park, but no colour.

17 minutes ago, McG 6969 said:

... I could guess you're on your way to become a sole UK distributor for the 'New Stuff', Ron...

A third order must be on your way by now, I guess?

Any chance to get some of the stuff shipped to EU/Belgium???

Cheers

Chris

I’m just a facilitator!

I don’t know what the cost would be Chris but happy to post. I’ll have a look to see.

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Just lately, I have seen a few ebay rc outlets selling it in small amounts. Hugely more expensive than buying a roll..

GG

Yes, I've seen those too, very expensive, but only when you know the true cost!

I tried the laminating film -42um matt - today for the first time, just on a scrap piece of sheet balsa and it went on very nicely. However, looking at the balsa I think that the laminating film has warped it somewhat, I guess with the shrinkage - though I wrapped the film round and fixed it to both surfaces.

Edited by leccyflyer

I have just covered this Steve Webb Avro 504 (20" span) with matt 32micron laminating film. I have also covered a Pug DLG and a Junior 60 with tissue over, with the same film. It goes on easily and does not warp the structure so much as tissue and dope. Tissue and dope over the film stiffens it up, be careful with undercambered wings, use non-shrinking dope or the tissue will pull away from the film when it shrinks. The film goes on well and overlaps are pretty much invisible. Few things to note. Make sure you have air holes between the ribs and to the outside or, like other films, it will 'balloon'. It does need a hot covering iron, I use a prolux digital version at 220degrees. This will attach and shrink the film, if there are still wrinkles I hit it with a hot air gun. Heat it until the wrinkles 'pop' out then get the heat off quickly or you will blow a hole in the film. I use and old B&D paint stripping gun which is probably too hot but it does the job if you are very careful. If you make a mistake the film can easily be removed with the heat gun.

I will say this is the only film I have used, my last attempt was with Solarfilm fifty years ago.

30.jpg

• Like 5