Magnus 60" Span Moulded Soarer by TJIRC

I made the plasticine plug, wrapped it in foil and followed the instructions on this video I found on You Tube

I made the plug but had to trim it. The problem was that I had to squeeze the mould past the edges of my servo tray which fouled it. Anyway I have rebalanced and added a bit more lead to take me up to 80 grams. I also had to move the battery back a few milimetres and cut away some of the servo tray with the Dremmel.

Statistics for the model now are:-

Weight: 945 grams/33.2 oz/ 2lbs 1.2oz

Wing Area: 330 sq in./2.2916 sq ft

Wing Loading: 14.49 oz per sq ft.

C of G 76 to 84 mm from Leading Edge - I set it at 79.5mm.

Ballast - I have made up some lead sheets which will fit into slots in the wing - 3 per wing total 225grams or 8oz - 36grams or 1.3oz each.

It required 81grams of nose weight to balance at the spot chosen. This will take the weight up to 41.02 oz or 17.89 oz per sq foot - should make it cope with stronger winds

Now all we need is some wind so I can maiden it. At the moment we are in a High Pressure windless phase - typical when you want to maiden anything.

Edited by Peter Garsden
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter,

Great build thread, I hope you don't mind me chipping in!

I had the same concerns as you about the tiny tailplane screws. I like all my models to ‘flat pack’ for transport & a removable tail is a ‘must’ for me.

I came up with the idea of drilling the stabiliser & rudder cavity to accept a 30mm long screw. It’s an easy mod but I had to be very careful when drilling through the stab not to damage the threaded inserts. I started with a 1mm drill bit to break through & then carefully used increasingly larger drill bits from the other side to enlarge the hole.

Assembly on the slope will be much easier now & I always take spare screws. The elevator control rod will, of course, have to be removed to get the screws in. 

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Julian

IMG_6764.jpeg

IMG_6768.jpeg

IMG_6763.jpeg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Peter thanks for this build thread that you did a while ago - I have been following it. 

I have a question about these low cost aileron servos from 4-Max that you are using - do they center well and do they have any slop in the output?

I have some old KST X08s, but they seem to have quite a bit of play on them now.

Justin

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/02/2023 at 10:55, Justin Mellor said:

Hi Peter thanks for this build thread that you did a while ago - I have been following it. 

I have a question about these low cost aileron servos from 4-Max that you are using - do they center well and do they have any slop in the output?

I have some old KST X08s, but they seem to have quite a bit of play on them now.

Justin

Thanks Justin. Only just seen this. In answer to your question, I have had a few KST X08's break their teeth on heavy impact also. So far my 4 Max have performed well, but they are much cheaper than KST's so I wouldn't expect them to be as good. They seem slop free to me. I have used them on a Jart which is a pretty fast aeroplane without issue, but I have not had any heavy landings with it so far. Haven't noticed any 4 Max slop and they are a lot cheaper so give them a go. Since I bought mine I think they now do some stronger versions with more torque which I would definitely go for. More torque the better IMHO.