Bates 1/5.5 Sea Fury Build

Nick Somerville

• 1 month later...

Just a brief update on the Fury as spring has sprung and our patch is drying out nicely after the wet weeks we have had.  Having made a start on my next build I needed to clear the longest of my two benches. This was the push I needed to bolt the cowl fully in place for the first time and run up the engine to see how the baffle and heat dispersal works. Also I have been bothered by the tailwheel steering and retraction as the pesky doors keep snagging. Last thing I want is to fly around with a stalled servo.

My earlier dual remote glow issues are clearly over as the 360v sprung into life after only a few turns of the prop. I am still in awe of how smoothly the 360v runs. It has such a responsive pick up and sounds incredible. Our garden lawn isn’t that big but I was able to taxi around negotiating its curves, so super happy with the steering now.  No tendency for nosing over, as per my P47,  so another big tick.  

I shall set the travel for the tail retract to zero, so it stays locked down until I work out a fix for the snagging on its gear doors, so nothing left to do but go fly. I shall reacquaint myself with flying my P47 this week as have only flown my easy Wot4xl over the winter and then a maiden should be around the corner.

• Like 2

image.thumb.jpeg.15db51e2e3fd70d71101087aa17b0dcf.jpegThursday last week was a superb day here but absolutely zero wind. My Fury on its first outing was leaking air from the filler valve, so I wasn’t disappointed taking it home unflown. A little tinkering with the valve sorted the problem and so back to the patch today with a smooth 8-10mph breeze making conditions ideal.  I had a few flights with the P47 to build some confidence and then the Fury’s Laser 360 was swiftly fired up and was raring to go.

The take off run was straight and in the air I needed just three clicks of down and three of left aileron and there she was flying true. At around 35% power she was cruising in level flight and winding her up didn’t appear to change the pitch. On full chat the sound of the twin engine is just superb. Loud enough to feel authentic but not at all annoying. The second loop I executed was enormous and I have no doubt that the engine will pull her vertically out of sight. Application of flap is on two settings. Half flap after deploying the gear and then full flap on finals which really slowed her up. I just used the throttle to control the decent and she came in beautifully.  On the second flight my landing wasn’t perfect but the undercarriage took it fine.  Happy days.

The following photo’s are courtesy of our esteemed chairman Chris. 

image.jpeg.fe0502c3c8af5f21f70717825ac95c09.jpeg

image.jpeg.64aa4bb4f987e2470f56fc7f74c37e1f.jpeg

image.jpeg.83938aa9e56ee495bf9cebdd9196d523.jpeg

image.jpeg.49442be614d3d960a4346b9ac98716a4.jpeg

image.jpeg.787e54ca32024f0d84aa0fd1596ffbaf.jpeg

• Like 11

29 minutes ago, Nick Somerville said:

21/8 as you suggested and yes it’s a Falcon. Superbly finished prop, would definitely buy Falcon again. 

Nice, i might get one and give it a try. I am always hunting for new props to test ? 

I used 21x8 menz on my Fury and i am currently running 21x10 hiprop which also seems to work well.