In April edition for next month's next Issue

Keith Simmons

I am excited to be seeing a free pro-plan of the TSR2,  however I think the write up of the full sized TSR2 having flown once is not true,

I have a book on this and also on the website, The full size, XR219 was the only one that has flown, having done 24 test flights over 6 months.

The next one, XR220 was to be flown in the afternoon on the day when the whole project was cancelled.

Can you please review and correct this before the next issue hits the press. 

19 hours ago, Keith Simmons said:

I am excited to be seeing a free pro-plan of the TSR2,  however I think the write up of the full sized TSR2 having flown once is not true,

I have a book on this and also on the website, The full size, XR219 was the only one that has flown, having done 24 test flights over 6 months.

The next one, XR220 was to be flown in the afternoon on the day when the whole project was cancelled.

Can you please review and correct this before the next issue hits the press. 

Agreed. 'Don't let a good story get in the way of the facts' seems to be the mantra of the mainstream media most of the time. I am sure RCM&E as a 'proper' aviation  magazine will tell it how it woz! Incidentally the second prototype TSR2 would have flown before the project's cancellation except for the fact that it fell off it's trailer and was damaged, between the factory and Boscombe Down! Denis Healey as defence secretary famously said that he could buy five Blackburn Buccaneers for the price of one TSR2. Politicians - they just don't get it, do they? ?

I think Tony has done wonders producing a flying model of the ill fated TSR2, which is no mean feat considering it's relatively tiny wing area. Looking forward to the plan (as ever). ?

Edited by Piers Bowlan