Twin YEP 60A Esc's

For my Curtiss Condor twin engine model I am using two YEP 60amp ESCs from one LiPo (7000mah 35C)

The max draw from each motor is only 32amps. When connecting 2 ESCs in a twin I have always disconnected the red wire on one of the unit's lead to the receiver because of the BEC issue.

However, reading the YEP manual it states that multiple ESCs can be connected to a single receiver without any modification and that this increases the max output of the BECs (parallel output)

GIven that I am only using a single LiPo to supply both ESC's, and that the voltage supplied to each unit is therfore identical, would leaving both +tve wires connected to the rx cause a problem? Is the YEP manual correct?

I see the advantage of having the BEC of both units operaational as being:

It wouldn't matter which ESC was connected  first and (if YEP manual is to be believed) it would increase the current available from the combined BECs.

Anyone got any experience of this?

Thanks

David

20210323_134408[1].jpg

Edited by David Ovenden
Add photo

I have not done it with two ESCs myself, but I have connected an ESC BEC in parallel with a 4.8v  nicad Rx battery (in accordance with the manufacturers manual) and that worked OK.

It all depends on the design of the ESC/BEC and I think we have to assume that YEP know how they made it.

Dick

Here is an extract from the YEP 60A Esc manual. Well one of 2 different ones on the HK website.

"BEC: Additionally to the use of the BEC a 4 cell NiCd/NiMH receiver buffer battery can be connected through a switch cable into a free plug of the receiver or a through Y-cable. The buffer battery avoids tension drops on hard servo maneuvers, protecting the receiver’s functionality. Make sure that no discharged receiver battery is used, because this would load the BEC additionally by charging the battery. A half or fully loaded Battery will not be charged and is only discharged in extreme conditions. The plus (red) wire of the receiver cable does not need to be disconnected. Several ESC’s can be connected to a single receiver without any special precautions (Parallel use of all the BECs). The total maximum available load is the sum of the individual BECs."

That seems pretty conclusive then, and makes sense.

Sounds as though those YEPs work the same as the Kontronik ESC + parallel battery option that I used successfully for many years.

It all comes down to the design of the ESC - some are OK with parallel ESC/ESC/battery operation and some are not, so we have to trust the manufacturers to know what they are doing.

A manufacturer may even have two different product lines that behave differently, so just because one model is OK, it doesn't mean all the others of the same make are also.

Dick

• Like 1

The YEP 60A Esc has a switch mode BEC. Parallel connection is not normally recommended but as HK specifically say it can be done it has to be assumed their BEC circuits are 'protected' in some way from the interference of another switch mode supply. Lets hope this is true and that other suppliers follow similarly so 'disconnecting red wires' becomes a thing of the past.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Simon Chaddock said:

The YEP 60A Esc has a switch mode BEC. Parallel connection is not normally recommended but as HK specifically say it can be done it has to be assumed their BEC circuits are 'protected' in some way from the interference of another switch mode supply. Lets hope this is true and that other suppliers follow similarly so 'disconnecting red wires' becomes a thing of the past.

Thanks to DickW and Simon for their replies. The hard thing to know is whether the manual on the HK site is latest up-to-date version. There are 2 manuals on the site. However, the one I quote from specifically says YEP 60A ESc. AS there is only one 60A YEP ESC on the HK site I assume it is correct. Ground testing  (with both red leads connected) has not revealed any problem. 

However, it would be reassuring to hear from someone who had successfully used two 60A YEP speed controllers in this format.