New Lidl Glider in the stores

Just bought a couple of the new Playtive Junior gliders from Lidl.  Smaller than the one we're all familiar with, weighing in at just 45g  Should be possible to electrify this one well under 250g AUW (I never managed to get under 250g with the larger one).   There's a 9g ball-bearing glued under the cockpit instead of the steel bolt in the earlier model.  It'll need a very small motor up front to balance this one.

Unlike the larger Lidl glider, this one has the aileron positions marked out with grooves.  I set up the larger one with just rudder/elevator on the big one, but for this baby one I plan to use just ailerons/elevator ("bank & yank").  

The cockpit cover was fairly lightly hot-glued on with a small blob front and back so it wasn't hard to remove cleanly with a long narrow blade.  In the middle is a moulded lug on the fuselage and matching indent under the cockpit cover.  Obviously it's necessary to scoop out the cockpit foam from both the cover and fuselage for the electrics.  It will need a very light RX and ESC as well as a tiny light motor.  For aileron control I plan to use a single centrally mounted micro servo just behind the cockpit, and then decide where to mount the elevator servo and pushrods to get the balance as good as possible without adding too much tail ballast.

• 3 weeks later...

Maidened the new baby Flidl this morning - flew a dream.  Over 4 minutes on 2S 180 battery, zipping around the sky on full throttle.  On the third flight the wind got a bit gusty but it even handled the wind well.  Loved it!  Just sorry there was no-one there with a camera to get flying shots.

£3.99 for the glider + 3 sub-micro 5g servos, 6A ESC, FlySky 4ch RX @ £6.50 - great flying on a shoestring, and even looks nice in the air.

Balanced out at 105g AUW with just a 5g weight under the rear fuselage.  A tight fit to get everything under the cockpit cover though.

967985144_BabyFlidlFinished01.thumb.jpg.3027b63c1c190f34bc0f78643cef7946.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Had fun today flying Lidl gliders as originally intended, just chuck and go with the grandsons.? When your young anything that stays in the air more than ten / twelve seconds is great I was reminded. One launch even caught a little thermal and stayed up for near a minute, lucky it fell off the thermal before going out of site and was recovered by little legs in hot pursuit.

SAM_1821.JPG

• 1 year later...

I've converted 3 into RC planes! A single, a twin and even 4 motors (from and old drone). They all fly really well.

Build blogs and maiden on my channel.

Here's the 4 motor version. 

and the latest, a twin with small brushed motors.  A very windy maiden this one!