5 hours ago, ron evans said:

Kit prices do look good back then, but the flip side is radio. A servo for my Skyleader set was £20 in 1972, probably about £200 now.

We've never had it so good.

Ron

On the up side you didn't need to remember which model memory to use, what function on which switch ? Just hope the local CB club weren't in the area!

20210425_133545.jpg

• Like 1

Yes I remember well the CB interference days. Unfortunately they didn't need to be close to shot you down, sunspot activity meant that their signal could go a long way.

My clever Spektrum radio doesn't let you select the wrong model, though not clever enough to tell you a control surface is reversed. Yep done that recently ? Love the Fleet gear. I learned to fly on Fleet GG.

Ron

Edited by ron evans

I went for a nice drive this morning to pick up my latest eBay purchase! Another old Bowman model this one built pre 1982 buy the seller Jim, but not used for many years. Must be my best ebay purchase yet.

Jim could have not been more helpful, as we went through the model and motor.

Since getting it home I've started going through it checking everything after a long layup. The OS 70 four stroke looks in good order and only a little gummy. Considering it's age the build and finish is excellent, very pleased with It.

20210501_162054.jpg

Edited by Roy Thompson

• 2 months later...

I've failed Roy. Finally got the plan from the chap who promised it was the Super 100. Turned out to be the Super Simpleton 96". It seems pretty near identical as far as I can remember, apart from the slightly reduced span. The good news is that it has the instruction sheet. 

I'm going to get the plan copied, the instructions too, then I'll have pdf copies for anyone who wants one. 

• Like 1

That’s a shame, Dave, but possibly not the end of the road! I’ve had a couple of conversations with a chap who has purchased Bowman Kits & we may see the name again. I’ll try & ask about the Super 100” next time I talk to him. 

Looking forward to seeing next mouths Mag ?

20210723_100210.thumb.jpg.62efd516920bd33714d5aea4f4772227.jpg

Edited by Roy Thompson
  • Like 1

This is my dads Simple Stuntman powered by a Webra Speed 40, it was taken at Westonzoyland in 1978. I have been trying to get hold of one for him, without any luck, not even so much as a plan. Bowman produced some good models, built quite a few in later years such as the Spatman, the later Stuntman and the Skyraider.

129917293_10158239908751843_5986208770003076805_n.jpg

On 29/07/2021 at 18:54, David Ashby - Moderator said:

I've failed Roy. Finally got the plan from the chap who promised it was the Super 100. Turned out to be the Super Simpleton 96". It seems pretty near identical as far as I can remember, apart from the slightly reduced span. The good news is that it has the instruction sheet. 

I'm going to get the plan copied, the instructions too, then I'll have pdf copies for anyone who wants one. 

David/Roy my club is not far from Ipswich and we have a membership that stretches back over time. If you are eager for a plan I am pretty sure someone will have one. The other source you might find one is a shout for help from Hastings 1066 MFC who used to have a couple of members who were into Bowman's kits.

Such a shame Bowmans and Galaxy are no more. It might be worth asking Pegasus Models if they have any knowledge, I know they are producing some of the Galaxy models.

Regards

Paul 

• Like 1

On 08/08/2021 at 22:48, Nightflyer said:

David/Roy my club is not far from Ipswich and we have a membership that stretches back over time. If you are eager for a plan I am pretty sure someone will have one. The other source you might find one is a shout for help from Hastings 1066 MFC who used to have a couple of members who were into Bowman's kits.

Such a shame Bowmans and Galaxy are no more. It might be worth asking Pegasus Models if they have any knowledge, I know they are producing some of the Galaxy models.

Regards

Paul 

Thank you for the info Paul,

Hopefully in the near future we may have some positive news about some of Bowman’s kits, ??  See my item in Septembers RCM&E when its out!

Regards 

Roy

13 hours ago, Roy Thompson said:

Thank you for the info Paul,

Hopefully in the near future we may have some positive news about some of Bowman’s kits, ??  See my item in Septembers RCM&E when its out!

Regards 

Roy

Hi Roy, I shall await the article with interest. In the interim I shall ask around the club. Bowman's as was Galaxy were local. It is important to try to save or resurrect some of these designs where possible as they played an important part in this country's rc aeromodelling history and are fun.

Regards

Paul

• 10 months later...

F7719B6F-8395-4C97-A616-195DEAFC38B9.thumb.jpeg.f4cec18bf18236006bef89d902289d61.jpegBowman Model kits - Mini Skyman.

It’s been awhile since we had any new post here, so here goes. Having just finished building a small retro Chicken Hawk 1/2A model for a friend, I was looking for a quick build for myself. I’d downloaded the Mini Skyman plans some time back and been tempted to make a start on it ever since, I also had some low quality balsa sheets (from an online purchase possibly late at night!) in my scrap box I’d been wanting to use up. The small size of the Skyman parts meaning I could get most of them out of the usable wood. A couple of weeks back then I started putting together a kit of parts, and apart from the strip wood and some ply, I think all the wood came out of the scrap box.

I’ve made two major mod’s to it as you can see from the photos, first I’ve converted it to electric using a shocky motor I made from a kit years ago, and using a 2S LiPo & an 8x4 prop. Hopefully this will be an suitable replacement for a Cox 049. Next up after a lot of back and forth I’ve decided to add ailerons to the wings.

It’s coming nicely and I’m working on the covering, I did think about doing all in Tissue but I see the instruction say the prototype was covered in solafilm. As I’ve got plenty of tissue left over from the last project, I’m doing the fuselage in tissue and the wing in film . Next I wanted a retro looking scheme from the 80’s and its coming on well, it sort of reminds me of some old airline ?

33512B54-DAF4-48E4-ABEA-ADBF1148E8D7.jpeg

4B1BC677-164A-464F-942B-4B463374E8DA.jpeg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

It accrued to me that I never posted any pictures of the finished Mini Skyman, so better late than never, here is my rendition complete with electric conversion and aileron wing.

The good news is, it has flown several times this year, and will ROG. My little home-build kit motor has just enough power on days when there is no more than a light breeze, not that you would want to fly her on any other days. The amount of adverse yaw from the ailerons was not what I was expecting, but with a good helping of rudder, or just rudder, it turns.

I'm not entirely happy with the look of the wing and the mix of tissue & film covering, so may make a standard wing with tissue covering at some point.

IMG_7507.JPG

IMG_7512.JPG

IMG_7514.JPG

Edited by Roy Thompson
  • Like 1

Roy,

Your pictures bring back many memories for me.

I had one as a youngster running on a BabyBee motor and had to be hand launched over a very deep grassed field. Fitted an OS10 later on which made getting away much easier.

Regarding the adverse yaw, can I suggest you install some mechanical aileron differential?

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Bowman Sportsman, been lovingly restored right down to the fake aerial running over the back and with period SLEC fittings and 148 servos. Engine will be a TT54 Fourstroke once I get it running smoothly. Had a 48 Surpass but didn't have the power. I have the plan too, all be it faded somewhat. Cowl was smashed and its the last piece of the puzzle. The Sportsman was actually issued under a few brands from what I can see, Bowman Models, Olympic Models and Hegi. If anybody has a cowl I could borrow to make a mould.... 🙂

1815802294_BowmanAdvert.png.086393168f6622b5b255a41e1b0d673a.png   

HEGI Sportsman 01.png

Olympic Advert.jpg

OLYMPIC Sportsman.jpg

6 hours ago, BSR said:

I have the Bowman Sportsman, been lovingly restored right down to the fake aerial running over the back and with period SLEC fittings and 148 servos. Engine will be a TT54 Fourstroke once I get it running smoothly. Had a 48 Surpass but didn't have the power. I have the plan too, all be it faded somewhat. Cowl was smashed and its the last piece of the puzzle. The Sportsman was actually issued under a few brands from what I can see, Bowman Models, Olympic Models and Hegi. If anybody has a cowl I could borrow to make a mould.... 🙂

1815802294_BowmanAdvert.png.086393168f6622b5b255a41e1b0d673a.png   

HEGI Sportsman 01.png

Olympic Advert.jpg

OLYMPIC Sportsman.jpg

The Olympic Sportsman was one of my first RC models. I got very excited when I went into Anglia Models just after they moved. That model was on a list of sale models they had. Sadly it was gone

Hi, I have been given my laye step dad's bowman hurricane 50" wingspan model kit, unbuilt in its original box Is this something worth selling? I have kept all his corgi models but this is too big to store and would like it to go somewhere it would be built and flown 

Message me for more details  thanks Christina

Amazing that one model was sold under 3 different kit makers, even the same model being used for the box art. Not one I came across unfortunately but it looks like it was a tidy sports model. I hope you find a cowling BSR.

Christina, Hi welcome to the thread and sorry for your loss. The Hurricane kit is certainly is worth selling, especially if it’s untouched and in box. A very rare find, I’ll message you with some advice on some reliable ways to move it on, just be wary of anyone trying pull a fast one.

826834.jpg

• Like 1