Seagull Boomerang Trainer Experiences.

David Davis

I am a four-stroke man myself, infact the only model I have which is powered by a two-stroke is the Boomerang and the reason I have fitted a two stroke to the model is that it will be flown by beginners and I don't want to risk one of my beloved fourstokes in the clumsy paws of novices. I don't even fly the Boomerang with my Enya 50 two-stroke any more for the same reason though what I am going to use that engine for I've no idea! At some stage in the instructing process you have to allow beginners to recover from their mistakes and if you're too slow to regain control this is what happens!

As for the long take off run, perhaps I do not have the engine peaked out or perhaps the stance on the tricycle undercarriage is too nose down.

Enya 50 and Boomerang.JPG

3 hours ago, David Davis said:

As for the long take off run, perhaps I do not have the engine peaked out or perhaps the stance on the tricycle undercarriage is too nose down.

The single leg undercarriage provided are not great at remaining stiff, and can go back as the take off run is made, and just adds resistance to the run.

A triangle main u/C is easily added to the model.

Overpropping the motor may quieten the motor for the field, but can hold it back from full power.

You can lift the nose wheel distance to the ground by adding a couple of wheel collets above and below the steering bearing, and giving a level of slight nose up to the ground run.

Great model.

Edited by Denis Watkins

7 minutes ago, Denis Watkins said:

The single leg undercarriage provided are not great at remaining stiff, and can go back as the take off run is made, and just adds resistance to the run.

A triangle main u/C is easily added to the model.

Overpropping the motor may quieten the motor for the field, but can hold it back from full power.

You can lift the nose wheel distance to the ground by adding a couple of wheel collets above and below the steering bearing, and giving a level of slight nose up to the ground run.

Great model.

Denis, we're you able to buy the triangle wire undercarriage and if so where can it be got?  Or did you modify it yourself?  Also with the new dubro low bounce wheels I have bought they won't fit onto the stock wire axle.   Did you have to use a small drill bit to enlarge the holes?   Thanks. 

I've just googled there Denis, where JP does a 40 size triangle wire unccarriage and Radio Active also makes one though there's is billed as large.  Is yours the JP one?   Did you have to drill out the dubro wheels?  Also did you have to add wooden plywood blocks on the floor of the fuselage to be able to install the wire undercarriage?  

Edited by aidan mcatamney

10 hours ago, aidan mcatamney said:

Martin thanks for the photos.   We do have one thing in common,  I'm a Saito fanatic also.  I love the sound and the reliability of them.  I always tell people the only time a Saito engine quits is when it's out of fuel.  

Did you just use the stock landing gear wire for the Boomerang?  Is it strong enough?

Do avoid drilling out Dubro wheels Aidan, as the plastic is already incredibly smooth inside the axle hole.

Add on wire u/C often come as large and small and no other details.

Large is what you want for a Boomerang. Some fit the Dubro wheel, and some dont.

If they dont, get your fine file out, and some wet and dry for polishing.

In the vice, wipe evenly around the axle with the file to take down the axle a smidgen.

Smooth these out and polish to fit the Dubro wheels to spin freely.

This is so worth it, as you will fit and forget the u/C for sometime.

2 minutes ago, Denis Watkins said:

Do avoid drilling out Dubro wheels Aidan, as the plastic is already incredibly smooth inside the axle hole.

Add on wire u/C often come as large and small and no other details.

Large is what you want for a Boomerang. Some fit the Dubro wheel, and some dont.

If they dont, get your fine file out, and some wet and dry for polishing.

In the vice, wipe evenly around the axle with the file to take down the axle a smidgen.

Smooth these out and polish to fit the Dubro wheels to spin freely.

This is so worth it, as you will fit and forget the u/C for sometime.

Thats great advice Denis, many thanks.  I never thought about filing  down the axle slightly.  That's what I will do.  Should I go for the Radio Active wire undercarriage, its large?   The JP undercarriage is advertised as 40 size.  Not sure which of the two to buy.  

5 minutes ago, Denis Watkins said:

The wide track of the Radio Active Large is ideal

MAIN UNDERCARRIAGES - (ZINC PLATED)
AA1093 small l0 SWG. approx.
dimensions 15"  wide x 3" high (375mm. x 75 mm).
AA1094 large 8 SWG. approx.
dimensions 18" wide x 3 1/2" high (450mm. x 87mm).

Are they just bolted onto the bottom of the fuse Dennis using straps?  Or will I have to cut a groove out?  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I've the Boomerang almost completed, but have stumbled upon a problem.   Referring to the mounting of the wing, I thought they would have included in the kit a small piece of plywood to support the two wing bolts that hold the wing down.  I found these two small black things in the bag, am I right in saying that they are used for threading the wing bolts through as in this photo, or am I wrong?   

20220113_103923.jpg