Orange RX35 axis stabiliser

Basil

I acquired one of these recently as I am a learner pilot and thought it would help stabilise a particular model. Has any body had any experience with this model of stabiliser .

As a novice I notice that it's discribed as ' DSM2 compatable '.I am using Spektrum DSM2/X, assume it's OK.

I intent to use it in a large model.(82" Span)that I have so far spent a long time making.

I also have a seperate Hobby Eagle brand 'V3' , stabiliser( in line type, requires an RX).

I dont know what would be the best, if at all combination.

I would welcome any feedback at this stage.

Bas

The advantage of the Hobby Eagle is that you can fit this to your favourite combination

For example, for years, your Futaba Tx/Rx has been bulletproof, so the Hobby Eagle is linked between your favourite receiver and your servos.

People do swear by Orange, but I have one more able to fly further out than the other, both the same rx model ! !

That asside, do the normal 30 pace range check and use the best fully charged airborne power pack.

I say this because ALL stabilizers use your power all of the time correcting movement.

The Orange is one case

Have the aerials at 90°

Align the RX  aligned front to back, where Back is your socket inlet/outlet pins

Fix it down level and insulated by foam or rubber

Make sure that you can switch it off from the Tx

Set your gain for the time being half way, so turn end to end then stop in the middle.

Commonly after the 1st flight, people turn gain down even further.

Edited by Denis Watkins

31 minutes ago, Cassandra said:

If you value the model, buy a genuine Spektrum receiver for it.

I agree entirely with Cassandra. A new Spektrum six channel receiver is only £33.50 from Steve Webb Models. https://www.stevewebb.co.uk/index.php?pid=SPMAR620&area=RADIO The four channel version is even cheaper.  I fitted one of those to an eight-foot vintage model which took me fourteen months to build and it's been fine. It's not worth the risk of using anything else.

Maiden Flight.jpg

Basil

I still use an Orange RX35.

My only comment is to question whether a stabiliser is really necessary on a 82" span plane unless it is low wing and particularly heavy and fast. If it is then is your skill level ready for it?

If you were intending it for a light weight but powerful foamy then a stab rx can help a lot as it makes a 'twitchy' plane much more docile. I use it, and several similar Lemon versions, on unusual planes that I have designed where the flight characteristics are unknown.

Indeed my suggestion would be to use the Orange on a smaller foam type planes both to improve your confidence and to find out what the stab does (it is only 3 axis so it just dampens external influences rather than positively stabilise) and remember you can set it up so it can be switched off in flight from the Tx. 

In my opinion this is the great benefit of a stab rx. When you are practised & confident enough to fly and land a plane successfully with it switched off in normal sort of weather conditions then your 'pride and joy' will be at a much reduced risk.

Just make absolutely sure you have the gryo reactions working in the correct sense i.e. It moves the control surfaces to counter any sudden roll, pitch or yaw. Get it wrong and it amplifies the disturbance so you crash in double quick time!

On 29/03/2021 at 19:22, David Davis said:

I agree entirely with Cassandra. A new Spektrum six channel receiver is only £33.50 from Steve Webb Models. https://www.stevewebb.co.uk/index.php?pid=SPMAR620&area=RADIO The four channel version is even cheaper.  I fitted one of those to an eight-foot vintage model which took me fourteen months to build and it's been fine. It's not worth the risk of using anything else.

Maiden Flight.jpg

Hi, I read with interest about the avaiability of AR620. Forgive me as I am a nebie, but this is descibed as a Park flyer RX. Spektrum defines a park flyer as 'Small electric airplanes or mini and micro helis ' and go on to say 'Flying RX designed for park flyers in larger aircraft could cause loss of connection' I am therefore confused about what you are saying. It maybe the definition of what is a park flyer that is clouding the issue.

Bas

Bas, if you click on the Steve Webb link on my post of 29th March you'll read that the Spektrum AR620 Integrated Telemetry Sport Receiver, to give it its full title, is a full range receiver. Similarly the AR410 which is what I had in my Big Guff pictured above is also a full range receiver and costs even less at £24.75. https://www.stevewebb.co.uk/index.php?pid=SPMAR410&area=RADIO

These are the new range of Sport Receivers which have been out for about a year now. Perhaps there was an earlier version of the Spektrum AR620 which was designed for park fliers but the new Sport Receivers with no external aerials are fine.

I have admired the Big Guff since at least 1992 and having finally built one I would not have trusted it to a reciever in which I was not 100% confident. My experience with Orange receivers has been patchy though I'll concede that others have had no problems with them.  

Which model are you building Bas?

Hi David, what is meant by sports receivers? The info about the RX was gleand from my handbook for a DX7S ,  I'd always wondered what they meant by Park flyers, in fact I still do.!!!!. I had assumed it meant smaller craft.

I am putting together an Auster AOP9, got plenty of room for a AR620 and a gryo in if required. Thanks for the info on the AR620.

Thanks for your commrnts .

Bas

Spektrum Sports receivers are the new generation of Spektrum receivers which have no external antennae or aerials. I've used the four-channel version in the Big Guff and a six channel version is ear-marked for an Acrowot.

Park Flyers are small lightweight electric powered model aeroplanes with a wingspam of 1 metre or less which are flown close to the pilot in a park!

If the Auster is your first model, I'd advise something else. I'm in the process of finishing off a DB Sport & Scale Auster myself but life keeps geting in the way!

Hi all. I am some what puzzled as there seems to be conflicting statements regarding the suitability of the spektrum RX for a 82" span. On one hand its for up to a meter and the other used in an 8ft vintage model.

Why is a Park flyer limited  to 3 ft, surely if capable of recieving and then powering a servo it would be usable in ANY size craft? the servo being the weak link.

From what I have read the weak point seems to be range, so is allied to size/visability at distance with naked eye.

Whats the range of a park flyer viz larger planes.

Bas

Edited by Basil
addition

Basil

You are quite correct. The receiver has no direct impact on the size of the plane it is fitted to.

The only consideration is the bigger the plane the more reliable (or fail safe back up) is required as the consequences of a failure become ever more significant and dangerous.

Big planes require more space to fly in so a radio range that is acceptable for a 3ft plane may not be so for a 1/3 scale one.

You have to take a judgment as soon as RC brands are discussed. Each has its own dedicated following.  

Simon,re Range; surely this is a characteristic of the RX. If so are we saying that park flyers only have a limited range?

Is a Sports model the same as a Park flyer?. I thought a sports model was some thing that was at the least very manouveable up to aerobatic.. Not your slow flying , high wing beginners type plane. The AR620 is discribed as a sport model, so I assume movement wise it's suitable for 82", just the range to look at. I also assume that you would require a lot of air space to exercise a sport model, therfore range should not be a problem!!!!! It also says 'Full range' so I would assume it's range was at least in visible range.

Perhap I am trying to reassure myself as I took the advise of more than one person to 'Go buy spektrum' and got an AR620!!!!

Bas

Edited by Basil

Hi Bas,

1. There are "sports" model aircraft. These, as you surmise, are r/c model aircraft capable of performing a wide range of aerobatic manouevres without being as aerobatic as an out-and-out competition aerobatic model. Models like the WOT 4 and the Acrowot are good examples of sports models and they are ideal as second or third choices for a beginner.

2. It is unfortunate that Spektrum chose to describe their new aerial-less receivers as Sports Receivers because there is no such thing as a sports receiver and such a description may be confusing to a beginner. Please excuse my description "aerial-less." The new Sports Receivers, the AR620 and the AR 410, six and four channel respectively, have aerials but they are encased within the body of the receiver.

3. A Park Flyer is a small electric powered model designed to be flown in a town park close to the pilot. This is particularly handy for city dwellers and being electric powered they are not perceived as intrusive by the general public. Receivers designed for park flyers have a limited range because the models are designed to be flown close to the pilot within the space of a small park.

4. Finally, I spent fourteen months building my Big Guff pictured above. Life got in the way a fair bit at that time!

The short-kit cost me $179 from the USA. That's £129 plus postage plus import tariffs plus VAT at 20%. The model has an eight foot wingspan and is over five feet long. I'll  leave you to work out how much it cost me to buy the Oratex to cover it. I fitted a Laser 70 in the nose. They're £250 plus postage. In addition I had to buy large amounts of balsa sheet and strip to complete the model, (you do not get the strip and sheet in a short-kit, just the parts which are difficult to cut out.) Then there's the snakes, wheels, (genuine inflatable Du Bros at £60 a pair plus the pump to infate them,) a fuel tank, glues, three servos, fuel proofer, switch, hinges, horns, clevises, closed loop wire and a propeller.

So no change out of £500. I fitted an Spektrum AR 410 4 Channel Integrated Telemetry Sport Receiver, to give it it's full title, exactly the same as the receiver linked in yesterday's post to Steve Webb Models. It cost me less than £25. I cannot fly an eight-foot wingspan model in a limited space so a receiver designed for a park flyer was out of the question. The AR 410 flies it perfectly well.

Do you really think that having spent all of that time and money on my Big Guff, that I would have fitted a receiver with inadequate range or one which was of questionable quality?

If you only have ailerons, rudder, elevator and throttle on your Auster you could get away with an AR410 though an AR620 would give you further options.

Final point, can you give us a picture of your receiver? Does your Spektrum AR620 receiver look like the one in the link I posted in my post of 29th March at 20.22? If so, it is full range. Fit it without a qualm. If not buy an AR 620 or AR 410 as described above. You'll do a range check with a new model as a matter of course anyway.

Edited by David Davis

David, thank you for your detailed reply to my post, information was just what I was after , especially as it was positive for me. I am sorry if I seemed critical. It wasn''t , as I dont have the knowledge to be so, only puzzled about the terminology and discription used by Spektrum in my handbook and the RX info.

I purchased the RX AR620 as supplied by Steve Webb, tiny thing!!. I have been reading about TX/RX combos etc for quite some time and have never been able top get to the bottom of exactly what gives.

I agree with your comments re the costs, they soon mount up!!!, as I found, even when making a scatch build.

Once again I am endebted to the members of this forum.

Bas

Edited by Basil
addition

David, I am a very novice flyer. Every time I make headway we have a lock down so have to go back to almost square one.I agree about the Auster, it was built as I needed a challenge to occupy me during this lockdown, a challenge it has been, learned a lot. No where finished so still a lot to learn. I will save this for RON, (lateron)

For learning I have a hand me down thru' the club,electric, forgot its name but is very strong. slab sided etc, just the ticket for the likes of me.

Re the AR620, I have a spektrum TX(second hand) that has basic telemetery, so I can keep an eye on the battery, thats the only one at my stage that is of imeadeate interest.Thanks once again.

By the way thats a big beastie you have there, reminds me of the ' Good news' design, I have an old one that I rescued but its a bit fragile for a learner.What is the name of the design/kit is it the Big Guff?, I'd like to look it up.

Bas

Edited by Basil

Yes it is called the Big Guff. It was designed by a pair of twin brothers Walter and William Good in 1938.They built the transmitter and receiver for it too. There is a YouTube video of an interview with the Good brothers here with some footage of the original flights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jduj1wkGFT0 They'd previously built a smaller model called "The Guff" as a proof of concept.

My build blog is here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3115832-The-Big-Guff-This-is-mine. It starts in August 2018 but I didn't start to build it it until April 2019. The blog strays over many different subjects until the maiden flight. I bought the short kit from Laser Design Services in Texas. http://store.laser-design-services.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=400. It's run by an ex-patriate Englishman from Portsmouth.

The kit was ok but the planview of the fuselage was distorted leading to several setbacks. Post 54 of my build blog has all of the details. Apparently better plans are availablle, please see Post 320 for details. 

• Thanks 1