Galaxy Models Musketeer Build

Looks great Caveman thanks. I think I could make it so that you hook it on the pull it down to lock it then have a simple hook/plate to swivel around to hold the cowl down rather that a catch....which is more money. 

9 minutes ago, Caveman said:

Hi Tony, here are a few photos of the cowl of my Vultee Vanguard. The cowl is split in two horizontally to allow for speedy access to the engine without removal of the prop and spinner.

The top and bottom are joined by two 'straps' on each side, the lower screws are removable to allow the parts to slide apart. It takes about 20 seconds to have the engine exposed - this saves having an external wire adjust the mixture.

DSC03306.thumb.JPG.b10fc8d012483c47cd9b0d719eeb565d.JPG

DSC03307.thumb.JPG.f22d906ab9df88443d135f82772736d7.JPG

DSC03308.thumb.JPG.fc33f757b76d81ed34cf1e698bb7867e.JPG

DSC03309.thumb.JPG.db26be9aea319a32c8f5a558d57b89c4.JPG

Hope that helps, GDB

Just now, Tony H said:

Looks great Caveman thanks. I think I could make it so that you hook it on the pull it down to lock it then have a simple hook/plate to swivel around to hold the cowl down rather that a catch....which is more money. 

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I am slowly getting there with the plane build, it hasn't been the easiest and the Easycoat covering I bought for it has been a real pain to use. I persevered and got there in the end, I just need to build and paint the cockpit/canopy and install the wing servo, Rx battery and receiver then test the balance and I should be done. Here are a couple of pics so far.

20210627_155904.jpg

20210627_155911.jpg

Edited by Tony H
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Update to the plane build. It is all finished now. I think it took about 60hrs a lot long than it should have due to errors and the covering taking longer than it should due to the Easycoat covering. The current specs are Irvine 39, 11oz SLEC fuel tank, 10x7 propellor and 4x standard servos. The AUW is 2.30kg not including fuel. I had to add 50g of weight to the tail to balance it, if I did it again I would mount the elevator servo in the tail so I don't need to add extra AUW weight.

Fingers crossed with a full fuel tank it won't make it overweight, it should be 2.6kg including fuel. Let me know if you have one how it fly's (does it feel heavy). I will let you all know how it fly's when I have the maiden flight. Here are a few pictures.

IMG_20210710_110943.jpg

IMG_20210710_111000.jpg

IMG_20210710_111030.jpg

IMG_20210710_111117.jpg

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Caveman said:

Very smart Tony. I'm looking forward to your maiden flight report, and some video if possible ?

GDB

Thanks Caveman. I intend to do some video if I can convince my wife to come along to video.

Mine weighs 2.12 Kg dry and it flies very nicely powered by an OS40LA. It's a typical sport aerobatic plane of its time really. Needs the airspeed kept up a bit but it slows down fine for landing and the stall isn't vicious. Surprisingly aerobatic. This is my second as I liked the first one so much. The first was a tiny bit lighter at 2.0 Kg but was powered by a weak-kneed Magnum 40. It met its end when the aileron servo didn't respond on take-off. Might have helped if I'd plugged it in properly I think, but nobody's perfect.

P.S. I will fit the cockpit one day and, yes, it is on 35 MHz.

DSCN4309.JPG

2 hours ago, John Muir said:

Mine weighs 2.12 Kg dry and it flies very nicely powered by an OS40LA. It's a typical sport aerobatic plane of its time really. Needs the airspeed kept up a bit but it slows down fine for landing and the stall isn't vicious. Surprisingly aerobatic. This is my second as I liked the first one so much. The first was a tiny bit lighter at 2.0 Kg but was powered by a weak-kneed Magnum 40. It met its end when the aileron servo didn't respond on take-off. Might have helped if I'd plugged it in properly I think, but nobody's perfect.

P.S. I will fit the cockpit one day and, yes, it is on 35 MHz.

DSCN4309.JPG

Looks good how long have you had it? Looks like you have changed the wing tips. Do you think mine will fly ok with the extra weight of 400g? The Irvine 39 is a bit more powerful than the OS40LA by about 0.4hp.

Edited by Tony H

I doubt if the extra weight will make any significant difference. It will have plenty of go from the Irvine. The picture was taken in June 2019 before its first flight, hence the lack of grime. I haven't flown it very much due to various circumstances beyond my control, but it flies very much like my first one. I built it from scratch using the original plan and a wing core cut for me by a clubmate and I finished the tips slightly differently just because I liked them that way. I thought maybe the ends of the ailerons would be better protected from damage. The new one has the rudder and elevator servos in the tail, and aileron servos in the wings plus a steerable nose wheel. Makes for really good ground handling.

Went for the maiden flight today. I ran the engine in on the ground first then tried it out in the air. take off was easy enough but in the air a few hairy things happened. It felt like the ailerons were sticking the unsticking causing it not to respond and then over respond same both directions. I was lucky not to crash, landing was easy once lined up straight. 

I am scratching my head about the ailerons because everything looks perfectly fine on the ground. I think maybe I will switch the aileron servo out.

Canopy was steaming up a bit in the sun, I need to drill a hole in it to let the moisture out. 

IMG_20210717_141601.jpg

IMG_20210717_141617.jpg

Edited by Tony H

Flew again today, much better this time. I am finding it doesn't like to be flown too fast especially into a banked turn I sometimes get a strange delay coming out of a turn, I think it might be some kind of wing flex. Landing the plane is very easy, glides in easily even with the extra weight of the fuel 

Flew again today, much better this time. I am finding it doesn't like to be flown too fast especially into a banked turn I sometimes get a strange delay coming out of a turn, I think it might be some kind of wing flex. Landing the plane is very easy, glides in easily even with the extra weight of the fuel 

IMG_20210718_144442.jpg

IMG_20210718_144433.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I have just added a you tube video for this plane, to give you an idea how it flies, The video frame rate makes it look a little blurry but I think you will get a good idea. I think it flies very well, mine is a little heavy due to the oversized fuel tank but I can still land it at a fairly slow speed.

Galaxy Models Musketeer Video