Third Party Receivers- Lemon, Redcon and Orange etc

I'm about to buy a couple of receivers, compatible with my Spektrum DX9.  The cost of Spektrum receivers is pretty high, compared with the third party receivers on the market, such as Lemon, Redcon and Orange etc.

I'd appreciate any comments, good or bad, from anyone who has bought a third party Rx.

Thanks in advance 

Hi Tosh

I've used Lemon DSMX, both the Stab + and the telemetry receivers with no issues.

I was warned off of the Orange type by clubmates who had had issues in the past. 

Never heard of Redcon

If I was in the market for a standard rx for Spektrum, I'd use the new AR410 or 620 antenealess (is that a word) rx's which I've heard good things about and not too expensive, either.

Kim

Edited by Kim Taylor

13 minutes ago, Kim Taylor said:

Hi Tosh

I've used Lemon DSMX, both the Stab + and the telemetry receivers with no issues.

I was warned off of the Orange type by clubmates who had had issues in the past. 

Never heard of Redcon

If I was in the market for a standard rx for Spektrum, I'd use the new AR410 or 620 antenealess (is that a word) rx's which I've heard good things about and not too expensive, either.

Kim

The AR620 receivers are little belters and my first choice of Spectrum receivers for the my funfighter and similar sized models. I've no real experience of the other fruit-based DSM receivers.

I like the idea of the Spectrum receiver with no aerial sticking out. That is a deal maker on small models
I’ve used Orange receivers without any issues, (DX9). Range good, reliability good. One thing to note, Orange telemetry is not 100 % compatible to Spektrum. It makes the Orange stuff seem to have less efficient aerials. Andy (forget is second name), the developer of Spektrum software, is my source. He says, don’t worry, as long as you don’t get a hold.  But I still shift aerials to minimize fades.

Be aware, the case is clipped in two halves. It will unclip if pulled hard enough. ( I use industrial grip hook and loop). Tape the case together is you intend to yank.

The only trouble I’ve ever had since moving to 2.4 Meg in 2013, the Spektrum DX9, was a Spectrum receiver. New, I never found out what was wrong with it, not much left after I stopped jumping up and down on it. 

Hi Leccy,

I do have a couple of the AR620 Receivers, which are reasonably priced.  But I was looking for a 7ch- Dual Ailerons, Dual Flaps (individual for aileron mixing), Elevator, Rudder and Motor.  The Spektrum lot that I've looked at (£70-80) are more than twice the price of Orange.  That's why I'm putting the question as to reliability- I've learned over the years that being the most expensive doesn't necessarily mean the best.  Back to the '70s, (expensive) Kraft were crushed by the cheap upstart, Futaba, which, though much cheaper, still did the job just as well, if not better.

• Like 1

Tosh , electric or IC. I’m a petrol head, so haven’t explored, but I note Lemon do telemetry receivers for electric models with all the sensors fitted. Not cheap, but good value for a complete package, wot tells you the Watts in the air.

Either way, I’m a fan of remote satellite receivers. Can’t beat moving an aerial on a 30 or 45 cm extension down the fuselage, or out in the wing, away from lumps of motors, batteries, banks of servos, and clutter in the main radio bay.

• Like 1

I have 3 Redcon CM703 used with my DX9, all have worked faultlessly for 2yrs+. Range wise if I can see it I have been able to control it and that is on large sports planes. The twin Ariel's are not true diversity as with some Lemon and when connected are at 22ms. For me the difference between 9 - 22ms is not noticeable.

I have and prefer the latest diversity Lemons for ease of installation. For real belt and braces I also have some diversity satellites connected to a few.  However I still use the older whiskered Lemons with and without satellites and again they have been faultless all bare one which always took about 90 seconds to initialize on switch on but always worked.

I always mount all Ariel's in drinking straws at 90' inside the fuselage, that said I have no carbon fuz's.

Trouble is with the supplied aerials, is they don’t get very far from the receiver. And it sits in a complicated mess of signal blocking lumps of metal and wires. It is a kindness to give it an aerial , out of the noise. Hence, invest in a extension lead, and a satalite.

• 9 months later...

Today a club-mate, flying with a Spektrum TX, buried an E-Fite foam wing into the turf from a pure vertical powered dive during which he had no control.   It had a diddy little Orange RX in it with a pair of antennae each about an inch long.  He said he'd had it in there for years with no problem... but today there was a problem, a terminal one.

Who knows?  After I'd helped him collect the litter of foam, I suggested we test the components.  Everything worked fine on the ground - RX, ESC, motor, the servo that still had a lead attached - but in the air it clearly hadn't in those critical last few moments from a height of about 50m all the way to ground zero, which I observed.  There are only two possible reasons for this:  either the TX or the RX.  His TX is a new generation black DX9, the RX is a park-flyer type Orange with two diddy stubs for antennae.

Had anything like this happened with my Taranis (I gave up on Spektrum three or so years' ago after repeated RF board failure on my new gen black DX7 resulted in the terminal crashes of two large and expensive power models in the space of a week, then it nearly did the same to a slope-soarer, all with full-range receivers, after board replacement by the UK agent), I'd have downloaded the telemetry logs and graphed RSSI etc to get to the bottom of it.

But in this case, who knows?  Except that the club member in question has several unexplained crashes of various foam models over the last couple of years, and he's not a reckless or unskilled flier... so maybe the common denominator is the TX?

On 10/04/2021 at 12:59, Tosh McCaber said:

I'm about to buy a couple of receivers, compatible with my Spektrum DX9.  The cost of Spektrum receivers is pretty high, compared with the third party receivers on the market, such as Lemon, Redcon and Orange etc.

I'd appreciate any comments, good or bad, from anyone who has bought a third party Rx.

Thanks in advance 

OP 

3rd party rx advice

Denis

I use Lemon stab receivers by choice with my DX6i as it has the better gyro sensitivity than the equivalent Orange.

I also use both Orange and Redcon basic 6 ch receivers.

I have always found range issues are a function of the rx aerial positioning.

Not likely to be a problem but the early Orange rx took an age (3+ seconds) to 're acquire' after loosing the signal. A crash was almost inevitable. It did their reputation no good although technically it was not a reliability issue but the fact their single tiny aerial meant limited 'park flyer' range unless a properly positioned satellite rx was used as well.  

• Like 1