Third Party Receivers- Lemon, Redcon and Orange etc

3 hours ago, Jonathan M said:

Who knows?  After I'd helped him collect the litter of foam, I suggested we test the components.  Everything worked fine on the ground - RX, ESC, motor, the servo that still had a lead attached - but in the air it clearly hadn't in those critical last few moments from a height of about 50m all the way to ground zero, which I observed.  There are only two possible reasons for this:  either the TX or the RX.  His TX is a new generation black DX9, the RX is a park-flyer type Orange with two diddy stubs for antennae.

Had anything like this happened with my Taranis (I gave up on Spektrum three or so years' ago after repeated RF board failure on my new gen black DX7 resulted in the terminal crashes of two large and expensive power models in the space of a week, then it nearly did the same to a slope-soarer, all with full-range receivers, after board replacement by the UK agent), I'd have downloaded the telemetry logs and graphed RSSI etc to get to the bottom of it.

But in this case, who knows?  Except that the club member in question has several unexplained crashes of various foam models over the last couple of years, and he's not a reckless or unskilled flier... so maybe the common denominator is the TX?

Unless he put the receiver from a crashed plane into another and then also crashed that (unlikely given he's skilled and not reckless) sounds unlikely to be Rx.

Or, if they were all DSM2, maybe there's a specific area that's best avoided - we have one SE of our strip that Spektrum users avoid, even on DSMX (which is probably just habit on non-DSM2 rx's).

Many years ago when DSM2 was in popular use , unexplained motor off , and dives into the ground were frequent. DSMX has stopped that where I fly . Yes , too many RF board failures on DX8 ! Now a lot of us use the new aerialless Rx and not seen any problems at all. Still odd Lemon unexplained failures though. Just my observations ! ?Colin