Ethos v1.0.1 - on an X10S

Bob Cotsford

1 hour ago, Andy Joyce said:

That's a  shame Matty. Still tempted to make the change as probably have only about 6 or 7 models on the X10S.

Bottom line is do those that use it on X10S think it better than OpenTx as have avoided that system as understood the User Interface was just as poor although it allows a lot more flexibility.

Sorry Andy, but no-one can tell you this with absolute certainty - you will just have to try it and see (unfortunately there isn't a PC based "OpenTX Companion"  equivalent at this stage for ETHOS, though it's on the roadmap). 

Most seem to think it easier to get the hang of than OTX, but many concepts are similar as Bertrand (the lead Dev from OTX) was taken on board at Frsky to devlop ETHOS. I suggest you watch some Youtube and do some reading on RCGroups first to form your own opinion before taking a leap.

RCGroups X20 review.... https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3916663-FrSky-Tandem-X20-Review

Programming a simple model with ETHOS... https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3955389-Programming-a-simple-model-with-Ethos

Monster thread on ETHOS and the X20... https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3703807-New--FrSky-X20-X20S-X20HD-Tandem-and-ETHOS

Edited by MattyB

Just backing up and downloading the necessary files for the change to Ethos on my X10S.  Thought it would be a good idea to install a new SD and retain the old files on the original SD card which is only 256MB in size.

As I need to buy a new card, is there any limit or recommendation as to the size of the SD card that can be installed on a X10S for Ethos?

On 21/10/2021 at 16:36, MattyB said:

Sorry Andy, but no-one can tell you this with absolute certainty - you will just have to try it and see (unfortunately there isn't a PC based "OpenTX Companion"  equivalent at this stage for ETHOS, though it's on the roadmap). 

Apologies, I have just found out this is no longer correct - there is now an ETHOS PC simulator to be had from GitHub…

https://github.com/FrSkyRC/ETHOS-Feedback-Community/releases/tag/simulators

I am not sure it yet has the full set of functionality that the TX has (or if it’s truly analogous to Companion for OpenTX), but it should give you some additional insights without having to update your TX. I may install it later and start poking around in ETHOS to see if I like it or not…

Edited by MattyB

Just been searching for versions of the Amber soundpack suitable for download to Ethos.  Have downloaded a couple of versions but none seem playable on my media players. Is there a special format required for OpenTx or Ethos?

Just looked in the Ethos system files and they appear to be standard wav files. So is there a version of Amber with .wav files?

Edited by Andy Joyce

Know I have asked this query before but now in the process of loading Ethos onto my X10S.  Which Ethos version should I use as listed on this page?

Also the bootloader download on the FRSKy site only gives the following versions:

X10

X10Exp

X12S

X20

So similar query on the bootloader which file should I load onto the SD card?

Edited by Andy Joyce

On 10/04/2021 at 23:20, Bob Cotsford said:

"upgraded X10S"

Just reread Bobs original posting and possibly I have been under a miss apprehension that Ethos could be loaded onto an old LBT X10S as he has an upgraded X10S which I assume means he has changed the two boards that FrSky sell as an upgrade.

Now tempted to go down the Opentx route since I will then be in line as to what others use. An alternative would be to have the X10S RF boards upgraded but don't have the  capability to desolder the existing board so did wonder if anyone offers to do the work commercially as do like the look of some of the new Archer range of Rx's.

Well I had a couple of 'spare' hours yesterday so installed my ISRM board purchase (thanks T9) in my X12S and then proceeded to upgrade it from OTX to ETHOS. All went rather well, steps not quite as per the FrSky vid but probably quicker!

Now just playing around setting up some models, GUI looks like a good mix of FROS and OTX (I never really liked FROS) but can certainly see how it was designed for a touch screen!

• 6 months later...
On 24/10/2021 at 20:10, Bob Cotsford said:

Just the normal Amber.zip download, note it doesn't go in the SD card Sounds/EN folder but straight in Sounds/ for Ethos.

Post #3 here on RCGroups contains all the essential gen.

I've just received my X20 yesterday so I was of course playing around with it last night. I copied and pasted the Amber Sound pack into the Audio file, and if I open up the File Manager in Ethos, I can see the files there. However, when I click on one of the WAV files, it doesn't play and the the screen changes to go back to the top of the list again, unlike the original Ethos files which will play.

I saw this on the RC Groups page you linked and now think that I should have put it in audio/(user sound files), instead of /audio/en/system (system sound files), but I don't recall seeing a user files section.

I added a Play Track in special functions, linked to a switch and tried to add a sound file, but only got the three dots ... and nothing else. 

SD Card (drive letter)/audio/ (user sound files)
SD Card (drive letter)/audio/en/system (system sound files)

• 5 months later...
On 11/04/2021 at 12:51, Bob Cotsford said:

Hard to say as I've been using nothing but OpenTX since 2014 but I suspect newcomers to FrSky would find Ethos far easier to work through than OpenTX, which sometimes has too many ways of working leaving you wondering which is the 'right' way to do something.  Lots of neat touches that I've come across so far, for instance selecting a switch, stick or trim as a control by toggling it (like OTX so far) but then select NOT(eg not switch n^) by long pressing Enter and ticking the negative box, no scrolling through long lists of switches, trims, channels to find eg !SA^.  Throttle cut and throttle hold are built in in the throttle parameters where they belong, no need for replace mixes or overrides there.

Does that mean if I update x10s to ethos I can no longer use the 4 in 1 external module for DSMX?

edit - sounds are much clearer on my X10S than they ever were using OTX, and I'm talking about the same sound files, eg 'Armed' and 'Disarmed' so it must be a better device driver used in Ethos.  If only there was support for 4 in 1 MPM modules!  Still, I have my Taranis for that use as it will have to stay on OpenTX.

• 8 months later...
On 14/04/2021 at 21:53, Mike Blandford said:

Out of interest I flashed my Jumper T16 with the X10 ETHOS file. It does run with only a couple of problems. One is the rotary encoder that is incorrectly wired on the T16 so is a bit unreliable but can be used. The other is the right pot and both sliders don't work. This is a bit of a surprise as the openTx hal.h file indicates these are on the same processor pins as the X10/X10S. I just wondered if these work OK on your X10S and if anyone has tried ETHOS on a X10 (non-S).

It is just possible there is a bug and these don't work if the sticks are using normal analog inputs instead of the hall PWM inputs.

It was very easy for me to flash ETHOS since I use erskyTx normally, all I had to do was flash the ETHOS file using eepskye, and revert to erskyTx by flashing that. No need to use the special bootloader.

Mike

Hi Mike. I know this might be a bit late as its 2023 now but I have loaded ETHOS on to my Jumper T16 and report back the same issues as you have. However with a bit of playing around I noticed that on boot up(when the 6 pos switch was on 1) that as you said previously,the sliders, right hand pot and main batt voltage  would not work/calibrate etc..However when i push 3 or higher on the 6 pos switch they all work and are useable. The main battery is correctly read and low batt alarm works.Of course after reboot when position 1 is defaulted you have to push buttons 3 to 6 to get the features. Note nothing dangerous on the channels and operation /mixes etc   is noted and is stable and only if you need the sliders etc you can push the button etc..I push it anyway for main batt monitoring. I use an XJT ext  module or my IRX4 plus on PPM for transmission for my boats...One other note...the RTC seems lower voltage  and could be unduly drained more than normal but is not really a concern for me...Chris.

14 hours ago, Kevin Fairgrieve said:

If you are technically minded there is a mod for the TX16S that will allow it to use an ISRM 

Be warned though it is not a plug and play option.

I have a spare ISRM module, but have not gone down this road as yet!

Click the link below.

ISRM Mod.

Thanks Kevin. I have an old X10s that I have put ethos on as well.I use an XJT ext module for that.If I had a spare  ISRM board i would put it in that as its a simple fit.My Jumper is my boat and car radio and I dont think,reading your link that its worth the effort for my jumper T16 as its a toy radio anyway.I would never use it for my real model fleet and anything valuable.Of course its stuck on ETHOS 1.0.1   for the Jumper T16 as ETHOS has been nobbled. I have an X20S for my main models and I absolutely love ETHOS.

Thanks again for your reply...