Hangar 9 P-51 Mustang (20cc)

tizdaz

Hi guys, just purchased the H9 P51 Mustang ARTF kit (will be my first build!) Anyone else built this kit that can give some hints/tips for the build ? ?

First impressions for me when seen the detail etc were very good. I've not yet started the build, just getting together all the parts/tools/materials that i want/need before a begin ?

A few pics of her bare just to get a feel for it ?

P-51 (1).JPG

P-51 (2).JPG

P-51 (3).JPG

P-51 (4).JPG

P-51 (5).JPG

P-51 (6).JPG

P-51 (7).JPG

Nice combo!  Per your other thread, I think you should set your mind on flying that in 2022, once you have ascended the experience ladder somewhat. Plenty of time to get it all spot on with no corners cut.

Of course, you may be ready before then, which would be a fab bonus!   

GG

Ha! im here from the other thread as well. Like all of us, it seems you unable to resist the urge to put it together and look at it!

My builds would take half as long if i didnt spend most of my time putting it together and admiring it. 

Anyway, i posted a more detailed explanation on the other thread by my recommendation is you put it back in the box and come back in at least 2 years. The delay might sound excessive, but it will be worth it. 

• Like 2

Completely agree with Jon - this will end up in matchsticks if you try to fly it this year. Take your time and work your way through a series of models (at least 3) of increasing performance and size, then think about the Mustang. I admire your ambition, but have seen so many founder and give up early after a disaster because they underestimated the difficulty of the task. Your Mustang is at least two orders of magnitude harder to operate safely and without damage compared to the IC buggies you have come from!

• Like 2

Hi Tizdaz,

Welcome to the hobby!

You have received some sound advice here, but I wouldn't want you to feel discouraged.

I started years back, but like you I wasn't really interested in trainers, so before I had finished building my first trainer, I bought and built a fokker triplane! I did wait a while before attempting to fly it, but even then, it didn't end well...

I was largely self taught, and reasonably successfully, but not without crashes. Crashing is inevitable in this hobby, and it's sage advice to find a way to live with this. Your improving skills in building,preparing, maintaining and operating the models do limit this, but... The issue is, no matter what happens, the ground is rather hard and unforgiving and always where each flight ends!

If I were to offer advice, I would say by all means ASPIRE to the beautiful P51, but get hold of something more forgiving, and frankly, disposable to learn and have fun with. It's not only the financial cost that hurts, it's the personal investment in models that hurts when disaster strikes.

You are also going to learn constructional and set up lessons along the way. You may find that going it alone building and preparing the P51 may mean you take decisions that are not ideal, that hindsight would have given you a different approach. The amount of models I saw bite the dust due to various sub-optimal build issues such as binding control runs, stalling servos, fluttering control surfaces, and of course, incorrectly set  centre of gravity was enough to keep most model shops in business!

Most of my learning was done on an own design 36" span high wing model. A bit small for most, but because it only weight under 2 lbs, it tended to bounce. When bad things happened, it was not terminal and cyano and 5-minute epoxy meant my day wasn't at an end!

So don't be discouraged; it's not easy but nothing worthwhile is. And the satisfaction of a great landing and going home with the models in the same state they went out in is immense. Keep the P51 in the corner of the room as your goal. And with help from the brilliant forum members, you'll get there without too many tears!

Graham

On 14/04/2021 at 11:54, Graham Davies 3 said:

Hi Tizdaz,

Welcome to the hobby!

You have received some sound advice here, but I wouldn't want you to feel discouraged.

I started years back, but like you I wasn't really interested in trainers, so before I had finished building my first trainer, I bought and built a fokker triplane! I did wait a while before attempting to fly it, but even then, it didn't end well...

I was largely self taught, and reasonably successfully, but not without crashes. Crashing is inevitable in this hobby, and it's sage advice to find a way to live with this. Your improving skills in building,preparing, maintaining and operating the models do limit this, but... The issue is, no matter what happens, the ground is rather hard and unforgiving and always where each flight ends!

If I were to offer advice, I would say by all means ASPIRE to the beautiful P51, but get hold of something more forgiving, and frankly, disposable to learn and have fun with. It's not only the financial cost that hurts, it's the personal investment in models that hurts when disaster strikes.

You are also going to learn constructional and set up lessons along the way. You may find that going it alone building and preparing the P51 may mean you take decisions that are not ideal, that hindsight would have given you a different approach. The amount of models I saw bite the dust due to various sub-optimal build issues such as binding control runs, stalling servos, fluttering control surfaces, and of course, incorrectly set  centre of gravity was enough to keep most model shops in business!

Most of my learning was done on an own design 36" span high wing model. A bit small for most, but because it only weight under 2 lbs, it tended to bounce. When bad things happened, it was not terminal and cyano and 5-minute epoxy meant my day wasn't at an end!

So don't be discouraged; it's not easy but nothing worthwhile is. And the satisfaction of a great landing and going home with the models in the same state they went out in is immense. Keep the P51 in the corner of the room as your goal. And with help from the brilliant forum members, you'll get there without too many tears!

Graham

Hi Graham,

Great advice & I hear you ? Yup im definately expecting a crash or 10 while learning! ..But fear not my Mustang will sitting pretty at home waiting for that special day ?

As I say, I will be in rush to get her in the air (well, maybe a little!!) but not until I feel I'm experienced/confident enough! I know some say "Don't build it until you're ready to fly it" but for me a big part of the RC hobby isn't just using the models, it is the building of them.. Infact I probably enjoy the building/modding part the most! So there is no way this mustang will be sat in the box in corner of my room for another couple of years until I feel I'm good enough to fly her! ? I've started the build & although i've hardy done anything as yet (see my post below!) its put a delay on me building her.

On 14/04/2021 at 12:09, john stones 1 Moderator said:

Hi Daz.

2 years ? Depends on how much stick time you get in them 2 years I reckon, and how you progress. Enjoy the journey. ?

Agreed! ? But I will be honest, most part will be weekends only, although I will try to grab cheeky weekday sessions now & then if I can sneek away from work! lol ?

Sooo,

I've made a start on the build after getting the materials/tools needed. The first task was to fit the flaps etc. But I already hit a brick wall (sooner than expected!!) But no fault of my own!!..

The right wing flap had damage, was a rattling noise inside it as if some of the balsa/structure was loose, so while inspecting it closer there was damage to the surface (under the wrap) when I pressed gently, I could feel the split in the balsa ? there was also visible damage to the edge of the flap.

So I contacted the shop I bought it from & within 2 days I received a replacement flap.. All sorted! ..... Or so I thought ?

Flap arrived yesterday, so tonight I decided to continue my build, only to notice that the flap print does not align with the wing skin!! I'm guessing this is the reason why the Flap/Aileron & wing are sold together as the print is done on these parts together for the print to match, so if you source one of these parts separate elsewhere, 99.9% chance the print will not match! As you can see form pics below the alignment is well off on the black/white stripes ?

So I've just fired off an email to the shop again so will see what happens, but the only solution I see is a replacement wing with the matching Flap!

alignment.jpg

alignment2.jpg

alignment3.jpg

Edited by tizdaz

Some new parts arrived!

8x Spektrum A6380

E-Flite Retracts

Servo Extension Cables (Various lengths)

Opto Remote Kill Switch

Glues/Epoxy & few new tools etc

I think I have everything now to complete the build (except the engine which i won't be buying for a good while.. A) because it will stop me getting tempted to just pick her up & try to fly her! & B) By the time I am ready to fly her the engine I want (DLE 20RA) will probably be slightly cheaper!

?

PartsDay.jpg

Edited by tizdaz

3 hours ago, tizdaz said:

I think I have everything now to complete the build (except the engine which i won't be buying for a good while.. A) because it will stop me getting tempted to just pick her up & try to fly her! & B) By the time I am ready to fly her the engine I want (DLE 20RA) will probably be slightly cheaper!

?

And C) Jon and various others on here will have talked you into a Laser!

Rightly so too!

4 hours ago, tizdaz said:

Sooo,

So I've just fired off an email to the shop again so will see what happens, but the only solution I see is a replacement wing with the matching Flap!

ooorr...you could repair the damaged flap you have. find the damaged section and see if you can cut an access to that section that will not show once the model is finished, or can be easily touched in with a little paint, you can probably get some glue in there and repair the damage. As you say, building is half the fun and some balsa bashing skills will be needed during your flying career. Its going to be mighty expensive if you dont repair minor damage and just get something new.  

While i cant fault your enthusiasm, i would very strongly recommend you build a few simpler models first as a mistake there will be less impactful and less expensive. 

Pick up whichever trainer it is you desire and at the very least build that before getting too far down the rabbit hole on the P51 as you are likely to find that your inexperience causes you a substantial issue which cannot be easily fixed. 

Again i am not trying to be mr grumpy, its just that you have a great model there and it would be unfortunate to make a costly mistake so early in the process. 

GD3, plenty of these are flying with Lasers. Not sure its fair for me to recommend one though. 

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines
  • Like 3

Hi guys ?

Reason why I bought the ARTF kit so I didn't need to do any difficult building so to speak being my first model, the flap was damaged and some of the print was also damaged and this isn't sold separately, so it can't be touched up. The shop are going to sort it. I have no issue with building as like I say, I've scratch built models and enjoy it, but with a brand new ARTF kit I was not expecting to be doing damage repair while building it due to damage in transit, even if I was an experienced builder of rc planes, I would still want a replacement part as I've paid for it and it's new ?

The damage you described sounded trivial, i would just fix it and save myself the hassle of waiting! 

Also i dont think i have ever bought a model that was perfect and free from transport damage. They always need the covering tightened, a little glue added, loose edges of film stuck down, another layer of fuel proofer and so on. 

These things travel thousands of miles in thin carboard boxes and some work will always be required to put them right. Unless a canopy or cowl is squished, or a wooden part is really broken, just fix it and move on. Otherwise you will be spending an awful lot of time chasing shops asking for replacements that may take many weeks to arrive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

The damage you described sounded trivial, i would just fix it and save myself the hassle of waiting! 

Also i dont think i have ever bought a model that was perfect and free from transport damage. They always need the covering tightened, a little glue added, loose edges of film stuck down, another layer of fuel proofer and so on. 

These things travel thousands of miles in thin carboard boxes and some work will always be required to put them right. Unless a canopy or cowl is squished, or a wooden part is really broken, just fix it and move on. Otherwise you will be spending an awful lot of time chasing shops asking for replacements that may take many weeks to arrive. 

As I say, it's broken and the print is damaged, the print can not be replaced. If you are familiar with the hangar 9 20cc mustang model (I don't know about others) the print is not sold separately. The whole model comes pre covered in print vinyl of some kind which matches up to each part. So even if I did fix the broken balsa, I could not replace the print! I've been in Contact with shop, and it's being sorted this week, even if it did take a couple of weeks, I still don't mind waiting ? To be fair, the damage was done at factory I think, as it was well packed certainly not thin cardboard as you have experienced) all parts are packed with boxes within boxes, thick heavy duty plastic bags, foam and so on, so I'd say it definitely wasn't during transport, and the flap was taped to the wing and not freely moving around. So I'm guessing QC was on a Friday afternoon for my plane! 

Edited by tizdaz
  • Like 1

You could of course, tell your club mates that the actual aircraft it’s modeled on was damaged in a daylight raid over Berlin in early March 1945. The replacement aileron had a later pattern substructure, so the rivet lines don’t line up. If anyone asks or cares.

As an aside, you are finding nothing is straightforward in this game. Now I have only once found an ARTF undercarriage mounts which were well designed, with appropriate materials. That one just needed proper glue to make it secure. How good are your skills at knowing where to look on the usual problem areas. I saw a wing come off an ARTF last year. Oh, the owners little jig was a joy to see. You are building a potentially very expensive mistake. You are putting some enthusiasm into a dream. Put it into something to progress on, so your pot of enthusiasm is replenished. 
Sorry for the grumpy post, but I have seen too many failures walk away from this hobby, trying to run too early, too expensive for the return in happiness. 

Edited by Don Fry
More stuff

2 minutes ago, Don Fry said:

You could of course, tell your club mates that the actual aircraft it’s modeled on was damaged in a daylight raid over Berlin in early March 1945. The replacement aileron had a later pattern substructure, so the rivet lines don’t line up. If anyone asks or cares.

? I could, but 1 slight flaw.. I'm not a member of a club yet lol ? but will be soon, I'm visiting my local club tomorrow, been exchanging emails etc with the chairman, seems a frient club so looking forward to taking a visit there tommoz ?

Update on the damaged flap, The model shop I bought it from decided the best solution was to replace the whole kit as the flap was beyond repair & replacement flap would not match the wing I had due to the print, so they just exchanged the whole kit which arrived today & all looks good ?

I have to say that Kings Lynn Model shop were brilliant in terms of Customer Service, hard to find good CS these days so it's good to know there is still some out there who look after their customers still! ?

I'm going to start the build over weekend, I also picked up a Boomerang Trainer to learn on, ? next on list is TX which I've decided will be the Futaba 10J, I'm going to give the Boomerang a once over to check/tune engine & setup the servos etc, then next weekend I shall visit my local RC Plane club ?

Edited by tizdaz
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

the 10j is a good tx. i use the 8j myself and it works very well. 

also, maybe i should call the shop and see if i can get a discount mustang ?

Cool ?

Yeah ive had a few different Futaba sets in the past, never had issues with any of them, I was looking at the T6k (which now supports 8 channel) but I'm not quite sure if that would be ideal for my P-51 as its minimum 8 channels so thought the 10J would be best option & be a little more future proof.

As for the discount on the Mustang... Ya never know! Might be worth a shot!! ?