Hello everyone - New forum member here!

Dave Brooks

6 hours ago, Dave Brooks said:

Hi Eric,

I love that Seafury! Really looks good. What do you use to glue the depron and foam board? 

I have been contemplating the warbird shaped gap in my hangar and wondering whether a cardboard winged Spitfire is a realistic prospect. I'm not about to part with the £300 plus it would take for a decent sized ARTF or even balsa kit so thinking about another composite construction scratch build standoff type scale model. As long as it looks about right in the air and has the overall 'feel' of the type it's good enough for my purposes. I suspect that it will be too heavy for a small model but something 60" or up might carry the weight well enough........

Cheers

Hi Dave, I use UHU por to glue any type of foam I have made a Flite test Lockheed Lightning with what they call Maker foam using a glue gun but you have to work quick as it goes off rapidly with UHU Por you have more time before setting . A P51 Mustang would be a better subject for cardboard as it has not as many curve as a Spitfire.

Cheers Eric.

9 hours ago, Graham Davies 3 said:

. I may skin the wings in it too, but I will cover with laminating film as a drop of water on foamboard is a bad thing.

Laminating film should be good, I am going to try it when I get some film. It may also be effective to remove the paper and replace with the film. The paper is heavy, but gives stiffness, laminating film may adhere well enough to give the stiffness without as much weight. I plan to try doing it in the flat, possibly even before cutting out.

For waterproofing foamboard I also have used rattle can acrylic lacquer - cheap stuff from Toolstation. That passed pretty severe soaking on test pieces, and did not add noticeable weight.