Recommendation

Mitchell Howard

Hi - can any recommend a sub-1m wingspan model? I want to build myself, but from laser cut pieces rather than cutting out myself.

I was thinking about the Vintage Model Co cub or super cub, but the wingspan is making me think twice.

I particularly want it to fly very slowly and be a little discreet as there's a small piece of wasteland near home that I can practice on. I'm learning at a club on a bigger trainer but need to get some more time in the real world not on a simulator.

Whilst the bigger the wing the better it handles the wind, I'm thinking something around the 700-800mm would be a compromise.

Hi Mitchell,

You could have a look at the Belair kits website under the vintage and old timer section. Lots of choice of laser cut short kits. Lots are free flight but some show r/c too. All the difficult bits are laser cut you just supply the strip wood and accessories. Some come with plans and some don't but many of the corresponding plans can be downloaded for free from the outerzone website. I did a Tomboy that way and it's ideal.