Does RM TX16S support DMSS

Brian Dorricott 1

That is a good question Brian, wish I knew the answer. My JR XG11 is still going strong but like your club buddy, I have several JR DMSS receivers and QRX R8DM DMSS receivers too. Should my transmitter stop working and prove to be un repairable for any reason it would be nice to have a replacement Tx that works with all my receivers. 

Seems the TX16s has an 'improved' JR slot to take the RF module, only trouble is the JR DMSS Tx modules are discontinued and like hens teeth. I did find one on a German website at a price of nearly 200Euro and no guarantee it was in stock either. My XG 11 does not have a removable module but I think some of the earlier ones did? 

The full list of protocols supported by the MPM is here - no JR DMSS that I can see. If there was sufficient demand for it and it was technically possible I suspect they would have added it by now, but I suspect the number of existing JR users who would deem the current MPM hardware of sufficient quality is low.

Sorry to say it, but no amount of reassurances from the new owners would convince me to invest in JR at this point - they are just too far behind in features and the distribution is too spotty. Better to plan to move away to something else over time and accept the RXs will have to be sold on or die with that set.

Thank you Matty, just reading the marketing blurb seemed to indicate that but your link confirmed it. Quite extraordinary how many protocols and sub protocols there are and it seems some of the ‘new’ manufacturers like FrSky are ever happy to market a new Tx with the latest protocol, not backwards compatible with all your ‘old’ receivers of course (that you may have purchased only last week!)

As far as JR are concerned, my XG11 works and I am used to it so why change? When I bought it I was also considering a Hitec Aora 9 but they have gone too, although at least their protocol is supported in the Tx16s. What troubles me about buying any new Tx is how long will it be supported, has it got the latest firmware, if not, can I update it? Also, will compatible receivers continue to be available? Buying a new radio is not just about the cost of the Tx and a handful of receivers but about the time required to learn your way around the software and program your fleet. Time you could be building/ flying models.

Edited by Piers Bowlan