cutting an electric motor shaft

I am part way through converting an HHM Chandelle which had an Irvine 61 to electric, I have built a cage to carry the 5s battery with the motor   mount immediately in front but the motor shaft sticks out behind into the battery space by about 20mm . It is a substantial  shaft, 8mm and will take a bit of cutting , too much for a dremel, Considering whether to use  an angle grinder with the motor wrapped up to protect from swarf or is there another option, any ideas chaps?

Junior or full size hacksaw, its not like the shaft is made of anything hard!

Could put a little grease on the shaft/motor housing behind the masking tape so you can wipe it off once you have cut through the shaft.

Or take the shaft out, cut it/clean it and put it back, I have had some just held in with a grub screw and other that have used Loctite everywhere and been very difficult to get apart.

PS the bearings normally have shields to stop the grease getting out...which generally stops muck getting in.

If a hacksaw will cut it, a Dremel will cut it. More watts in a Dremel than in your arm. 
I would consider.

If you could live wish a shaft stub, protruding, 5mm?, you could shield the motor with polythene and masking tape, mount the motor as needed, and cut away. Square off with abrasive as needed. But you need a stub, so the tape has a stick point to keep debris out. Debris in motor is never good. 

8mm shaft sounds like quite a chunky motor!   Does that model really need a large motor and masses of power?    Original Howard Metcalf adverts from 1996 say the Chandelle is " very graceful "  and suggest 45 to 60 two strokes so the Irvine 61 seems top end of that range anyway.   

If you are going to cut it, I reckon that these will do the job - a great addition to the standard Dremel or similar. The "Dremel EZ SpeedClic" disks and mandrel are available as a set or separately.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-EZ406-02-Mandrel-Cutting-Starter/dp/B000FBLRVA/ref=sr_1_17?crid=3SFAK47UG3JVX&dchild=1&keywords=dremel+ez+speedclic&qid=1618857175&sprefix=dremel+ez%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-17

Well, the deed was done this morning with a hacksaw, it is a chunky motor, a Grand Turbo GT4030/02 to give its full title, bought several years ago as a bargain special from the net, may have been the site which merged with  Robotbirds.

The HMM Chandelle was a freebie from a mate and I flew it briefly  maybe fifteen years ago with the Irvine 61 but the aileron servo failed in on my first flight with it and damaged a wing so it has languished in the depths of the shed. It had been stored for quite a few years before I got it so that must be why the servo failed .  The Irvine 61 seems in good condition if anyone wants it for the cost of  carriage.

On 19/04/2021 at 21:47, john davidson 1 said:

Well, the deed was done this morning with a hacksaw, it is a chunky motor, a Grand Turbo GT4030/02 to give its full title, bought several years ago as a bargain special from the net, may have been the site which merged with  Robotbirds.

The HMM Chandelle was a freebie from a mate and I flew it briefly  maybe fifteen years ago with the Irvine 61 but the aileron servo failed in on my first flight with it and damaged a wing so it has languished in the depths of the shed. It had been stored for quite a few years before I got it so that must be why the servo failed .  The Irvine 61 seems in good condition if anyone wants it for the cost of  carriage.

PM sent.

Andy.