Instructing

andy paterson

How long is your piece of string? Seriously, there are endless possibilities and probably as many recommendations from those that have completed their 'B'.

Availability - Probably something like Mr Foss's 'WOT4' or 'UNO Wot' 4 Ch version. These are well known, fly well and straightforward to build or acquire in ARTF format.

Additionally, these models are so well known that at least one 'ex-spurt' in your club will have flown them and knows their capabilities, not to mention limitations.

Would suggest a straightforward simple model that can easily be repaired should you get a manoeuvre slightly wrong involving terra firma!

Remember BMFA have online videos demonstrating the 'B' and there are numerous articles, books etc. that describe the 'how to ...' as well.

Good luck!  

Wot 4, perfect with your Irvine 53, get a kit, take patterns of the parts, then when you wreck it, and you will, it can be rebuilt, so it ends up as Tiggers broom, only the rudder is original.  Tool for a job, no love. 
Point easily forgotten, The B is not perfection. If you look up, for instance, a stall turn in aerobatic schedules, vertical climb, stall, aircraft swaps ends on its own axis. Difficult to do consistantly. The B allows for the rudder to perform the turn, so it drops out in what looks like a U turn. Much easier. 

One of our forum members has written a book on aerobatics  - Model Aircraft Precision Aerobatics by Peter Jenkins available on Amazon now.     Should be helpful in gaining a B so worth reading.  I think he also does training sessions for aerobatics too ( North Essex based I think )

51 minutes ago, kc said:

One of our forum members has written a book on aerobatics  - Model Aircraft Precision Aerobatics by Peter Jenkins available on Amazon now.     Should be helpful in gaining a B so worth reading.  I think he also does training sessions for aerobatics too ( North Essex based I think )

Peter is based in Suffolk, flies from my site in South Norfolk - great guy!

Some years ago I took my B test with an Acrowot it didn't recover from spins consistently because I had the CG a long way back so it was just luck it came out OK on the day. There are better models, when I first flew my Sebart Angel and went through the B test manoeuvres it almost seemed like cheating it was so easy.

I suspect that the reluctance to spin often encountered with certain models may be to do with the limited movement of the rudder advised in typical instruction books.  I normally ignore any advice to set, for example, 15mm movement and set the maximum deflection to align with the angle of the edge of the elevator "V".  With a reasonable C of G, it's rare to find a model which will genuinely refuse to spin.

Assuming a model is strong/powerful enough to perform an outside loop, there are very few models incapable of flying the B test - it's more important to be thoroughly familiar with performing the manoeuvres with whatever you're flying.  I haven't witnessed it but I'm fairly sure that successful tests have been flown with 3 channel models.

IMHO as long as the model will preform the routine then it will be acceptable, one point made when I did mine was the examiners would consider the capabilities of the model.

If you turn up with a very capable 3D/pattern ship model that rolls upon its axis then expect a tougher time than something else as they expect you to demonstrate corrective inputs (as per the guidance notes).

I had a choice of a BH Speed Air or a E-flite Carbon Yak and used the Speed Air, because I could demonstrate to the examiners my level of skill and control, not which one looks the best or is the easiest to fly.   

Chris, I have to disagree that if you turn up with a pattern ship the Examiner should expect you to fly to a higher standard.  That is a common misconception even by some Examiners.  Nowhere in the documentation does it state that.  It's like requiring rolls to be carried out with the model being rolled away from the pilot - that is not called for in the Guidance Notes.  The one thing that is specified is that the stall turn must be away from the crowd line or display line.  The Achievement Scheme Guidance Notes are the bible.  Sadly, a lot of Examiners are unaware of the existence of this resource.  If you don't believe me, ask Andy Symons or your Area Achievement Scheme Coordinator.  You are being tested, not your model.  

• Like 1