Scale warbird for a .61 fs engine

Simon Knight

Interesting. As others have said, limited options these days. VQ have a huge range, but they are very similar to the old  "VMAR" brand. A clubmate has the YAK 55, which looks the part, but has one major failing. The covering! It is micky mouse thin sticky back plastic, nightmare to repair and tears VERY easily. So buyer beware as usual!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Walts said:

369 Euros for a 60" plastic film covered ARTF! ? What on earth has happened to the hobby since I've been away? It's only been 5 years or so, but these types of models used to sell for around £170 back then.

Prices have got a bit salty recently, haven't they?

Alternatively, look at VQ kits at Sussex Model Centre (and others) and you'll find the same kit for £214.95. 

You're welcome!!?

Kim

43 minutes ago, Kim Taylor said:

Prices have got a bit salty recently, haven't they?

Alternatively, look at VQ kits at Sussex Model Centre (and others) and you'll find the same kit for £214.95. 

You're welcome!!?

Kim

I think you will find that the VQ kit does not include the electric retracts nor the sprung oleo legs. The retracts are an extra. (About £95 I think)The Nexa kit does include the retracts. So you do need to compare like with like. SMC price is still attractive if they have stock left of course.

That said , yes all modelling goods (and just about all imported item) have seen very substantial increases recently as well as supply issues. The "cheap" days are never coming back I'm afraid!!

Edited by David Ovenden

1 hour ago, David Ovenden said:

I think you will find that the VQ kit does not include the electric retracts nor the sprung oleo legs. The retracts are an extra. (About £95 I think)The Nexa kit does include the retracts. So you do need to compare like with like. SMC price is still attractive if they have stock left of course.

That said , yes all modelling goods (and just about all imported item) have seen very substantial increases recently as well as supply issues. The "cheap" days are never coming back I'm afraid!!

You're right, of course. I was thinking more along the lines of the VQ kit + H-K or similar retracts & olios, which may well be a bit cheaper, although H-K prices have climbed recently too.

Kim

I might be wrong. They might have improved.

but the undercarriage plates were a version of the croissant I eat for breakfast.

and the threaded control rods were tapered, as in, they fell off the thread.

Didn't last long. Too much trouble.

Mig 3. It flew OK. Not great, but OK.