Cambria funfighter to PSS?

Hi Rene - good to hear from you my friend -I hope that you are well.

Yes - my pal Derek converted the Cambrian Spitfire to PSS and flew it for several years before handing it on to me.

I converted the Cambrian Spitfire and Bf109E, which had previously flown both IC and electric, to PSS with a bit less success - my Spitfire flew, but needed a decent blow, but the smaller wing and higher wing loading of the Emil didn't really work. I think starting with the PSS in mind and losing some weight would yield good results. 

There is a recent thread on this topic in the forum - with pictures and some details. I'll postr a link.

I think the whole funfighter range has been proven over the years to go really well on the slope in the right conditions, they are not floaters by any means and you'd be wise i think to ensure the tailend parts are as light as poss, but they fly well and are a very handy size of model for the slope and rugged too!

Edited by Phil Cooke

Just to add that Cambria funfighters (such as the Ki61 in my other post) has less ply in the fuselage construction and light balsa tail surfaces. I have a couple of Cambrian kits which use a type of lite ply for fuselage sides and generally heavier balsa. No big issue but just to be aware that there are two separate kit ranges with slightly different designs.

• 3 months later...

The chap who sells the Cambria kits suggests that his are better because they have an RG14 wing section.

However, having seen models from both manufacturers fly, there doesn't seem to be much difference.

I would take note of the advice offered by Phil Cooke further up-thread in that they are not floaters. You need a good slope to enjoy fighter like performance from them.

Here is my Ki61 flying recently from the Lleyn peninsula in NW Wales (photo by the aforementioned Mr. Cooke).

EDITIMG_3100.jpg

• Like 1