High Voltage Servos

I have acquired a couple of small servos for possible use in a 2M powered glider. The servos are marked HV (Model: DS939HV 
Operating Voltage: 6.0V / 7.2V Operating Current: 200mA / 240mA), which I presume indicates that they may be connected directly to an appropriate LiPo. Will this type of servo function efficiently just plugged into the receiver as per normally and powered through the usual ESC/BEC & LiPo set up?

Thanks for reading I look forward to any comments.

SW

11 minutes ago, Skippers Walker said:

I have acquired a couple of small servos for possible use in a 2M powered glider. The servos are marked HV (Model: DS939HV 
Operating Voltage: 6.0V / 7.2V Operating Current: 200mA / 240mA), which I presume indicates that they may be connected directly to an appropriate LiPo. Will this type of servo function efficiently just plugged into the receiver as per normally and powered through the usual ESC/BEC & LiPo set up?

SW

What is the ESC?BEC voltage? Some have adjustable voltages. If not adjustable they normally output 5V which would mean that the speed and torque of the servo will be reduced. If it is adjustable than make sure that the receiver can handle the higher voltage and adjust it to 6 or 7V to take advantage of the higher speed and torque.

59 minutes ago, Skippers Walker said:

SW

A fully charged 2S lipo is 8.4V, so be careful! Those servos either need a BEC that can be set to output in the target voltage range or a 2S LiFe pack. LiFe nominal voltage is 3.3V/cell and fully charged 3.6V/cell, so a 2S will be 7.2V fresh off charge. However that will dip down below 7V on load quite quickly, then discharge the rest of it’s capacity on a very flat voltage curve.

Edited by MattyB

Hi Folks

Thanks for the useful and informative responses. I have set up the servos and ESC on a bench test in the model and they appear to work just fine. The ESC/BEC voltage is 5.5v and the Servo spec torque is stated as 2.8kg. Given that the model is a lightweight thermal soarer I guess that the actual working load on the elevator/rudder will not be high.

A very useful conversation overall thanks again for responding so quickly.

Stay well

Chris (SW)

• Like 1