RX Dual battery diagram?

Does any body know where I can find a simple diagram of how to connect up a separate RX battery to the RX, whilst disconnecting the red wire from the ESC?.

Thus keeping the two power sources separate, and keeping power to the RX should the ESC fail.

I have tried searching for "Dual battery system" etc. but it started to get very confusing.

I know how / why it works, but would like to find a diagram to put on our club web site.

Simon, you can also plug the Rx battery into any spare slot in your Rx.  It does not need to be plugged into the battery port which is also the Bind port usually.  If you have telemetry that needs to go into the Bind port as well as the battery and be able to insert a bind plug easily, use a pair of Y leads one plugged into one of the Ys in the lead plugged into Rx.  Alternatively, there are 4 way, and more, connectors made for the multi rotor guys which plug into the Bind/Battery port and provide 4 plug points.  Useful for Bind plug, battery, sensor and one other if needed.

Simon, a word of warning in case you are not aware of it. If you switch the Rx battery off but leave the flight battery connected the ESC will still be drawing a small current. I've known of a couple of people who have done this at the end of a days flying, stored the model only to discover their lipo was dead as a Norwegian Blue parrot next time they intended to use it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PatMc said:

Simon, a word of warning in case you are not aware of it. If you switch the Rx battery off but leave the flight battery connected the ESC will still be drawing a small current. I've known of a couple of people who have done this at the end of a days flying, stored the model only to discover their lipo was dead as a Norwegian Blue parrot next time they intended to use it.

It's not just about the risk of the flight battery draining if left connected. There is a real risk that the motor could burst into life at any time! It only takes a lapse in concentration or an ESC fault.

The motor should be considered as live whenever a flight battery is connected. I suspect that this is the reason why the battery connections are shown on the diagram.

Gary, I think this is a much overstated danger that in fact doesn't really exist so long as the Rx is definitely unpowered.

I can't think of any scenario that can cause the motor to burst into life with no signal reaching the ESC but I'm willing to listen to any explanation that proves me wrong.

BTW I'm not advocating that it's OK to leave the flight battery connected as there is the danger that the Rx switch could be accidently or forgetfully be left switched on.

7 minutes ago, PatMc said:

......  there is the danger that the Rx switch could be accidently or forgetfully be left switched on.

Yes, that's the lapse of concentration I was talking about. I'm not sure about the ESC fault either, but I'd rather err on the side of caution.

As Philip H Sheridan, the famous 19th century RC modeller once said "The only good engine is a dead engine".

4 minutes ago, Dwain Dibley. said:

That's why the arming plug is the last thing you put in before a flight, and the first thing you take out after a flight. ? You can do this on the strip.

D.D.

Yes, that's good practice too DD, but let me ask you this.

Where do you store the arming plug when you have finished flying for the day and ready to go home?

Presumably, if you store it in the arming socket, you disconnect / remove the flight battery first.

I keep it in my box of tricks, and all flight batteries are removed from the models after flight for charging.

Thinking about it, I make a plug for every set up, when I only need one. LOL

I think what you are saying Gary, and I agree, is that we must be vigilant at all times, as there is no failsafe way of getting rid of Human Error.

D.D.

Edited by Dwain Dibley.
  • Like 1

I can't remember how I did mine now, but I don't need to remember. It's in my model Template, which I copy to add new models. Needs the throttle stick at minimum plus my spring loaded switch pressed for 3 seconds to toggle motor on/off (OpenTX). This prevents me accidentally cutting the engine mid flight, or accidentally arming as I'm moving model to/from pits.

• Like 1