Futaba FASST rumour

cymaz

As a side note, a club mate has a new 18sz. We’ve tested it with an old frsky fasst rx. It worked. Though, to be honest he’d not updated to the latest program version.

I’m wonderful I’d that would make a difference 

If it’s a new TX updating the TX firmware will make no difference since the FASSTchanges were made in 2015. If the Frsky RX was bought after ~May 2015 there should be no issues; if it was before that I would mosey over to the Frsky site, download the latest FASST firmware for that RX and flash it according to the instructions.

Edited by MattyB

I think the 18SZ has always been to the latest standard, it would depend whether the Frsky Fasst Rx had been updated or was purchased after the update, (as per Mattys post)

But even if the receiver works, be careful, there's a post here which noted they work until another Tx switches on and then they don't work, I suppose this is a downside of reverse engineered protocols, if the OEM changes the protocol they will only test it on their products, it's up to the 3rd party supplier of the reversed engineered products to keep up todate with the OEM changes and react accordingly.

1 hour ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

I think the 18SZ has always been to the latest standard, it would depend whether the Frsky Fasst Rx had been updated or was purchased after the update, (as per Mattys post)

But even if the receiver works, be careful, there's a post here which noted they work until another Tx switches on and then they don't work, I suppose this is a downside of reverse engineered protocols, if the OEM changes the protocol they will only test it on their products, it's up to the 3rd party supplier of the reversed engineered products to keep up todate with the OEM changes and react accordingly.

Much appreciated, cheers Frank

After Frank’s post I’ve decided to conduct a test and see if we can learn anything from it.

I built a small rig this morning with a mixture of servos, a FrSky TFR6 and spare Rx that’s about 3 years old and a battery. I’m off to see a club mate who’s in the middle of  bad sciatica at the moment, ( hopefully homemade medicinal buns might cheer him up) and will use his Futaba 18sz whilst placing my Tx next to his.

I'm sure it will prove something.......reporting back later

D5BF39AA-F8EC-4AAC-8884-B5E684B04DEE.jpeg

Edited by cymaz

When Futaba firmware updated started to come with the LBT mod I stopped updating my 14SG so it would retain compatibility with all my FRSky receivers as some of them didn't have the option to be updated. Now I wouldn't know which were bought before FRSky made them work with the latest Futaba FASST TXs. If there are identifying marks which show they are the latest build it would be worth knowing about it.

23 hours ago, MattyB said:

There are plenty of RXs that are D8 compatible (for instance there are lots of tiny whoop micro quads that have embedded D8 compatibles), but none of them will have an EU certificate of compliance. Compliant and compatible are not the same thing!

Du'oh! Of course......

I realised that it was not worth investing in further Futaba FASST Rx when the only Tx being sold were the expensive models.    When they dropped the 6EX2.4  Tx it was obvious that any damage to my 6EX 2.4 would make the Rx useless unless I bought an expensive new Tx.  If I just dropped the Tx or caught the switches or caused any physical damage I would not trust the Tx to be reliable.    That and the fact that FASST Rx cost about 50 pounds caused me to switch to Spektrum for all further Tx and Rx.    Of course my 6EX still works and so do all the 3 Rx but Futaba lost a customer.  

The same has happened to the S-FHSS Rx.   Anybody who bought those Rx will find it hard to buy a replacement Tx at a moderate price if they damage their 6J or 8J   Tx.

Regarding the FrSky TFR6  - I have had one in a model and done almost 2000 flights without problem ( just a dozen more flights to reach the 2000 hopefully this month if the weather permits)  and many of my clubmates used 6EX transmitters at the same time, so I don't think there is any interference problem.   At one time it seemed the whole club used 6EX2.4    I don't believe any of my friends could have updated their 6EX so the TFR6 worked just as bought with all these other Tx.   

Ok, just uploaded a couple of videos onto ‘tube. As you will see it’s not what I was hoping for. The link between the 18sz and the FrSky Rx is very hit and miss. I’ve even swapped over the Rx and had the same result.

This video is on reduced power but as the Tx is next to the Rx it should have had no issues, which it did...

The second video is on servo travel mode and I turned on my old 9 cap. The 9 has a proper Futaba 8ch module in the back. There are no problems. Considering the previous video, it’s not 100% reliable, so no good.

Edited by cymaz

That looks exactly like the issues that were reported in 2015 after Futaba tweaked FASST to be ETSI compliant. I suspect all you need to do is flash the latest RX firmware and all will be well.

https://www.frsky-rc.com/download/

EDIT - Hmmmm, I thought they had offered tweaked firmware for all the TF series in 2015, but it looks like only the 8ch RXs have new firmware on the Frsky site... 

Edited by MattyB

Cheers MattyB. I’ve looked on the site and the link that tells you on the website.

I bought up this issue as I’m sure that there are a lot of flyers with Frsky fasst receivers 

By all accounts, I may just keep my gear now until the 9CAP is not working or gets broken. It’s in perfect working order now. I best get saving!

Edited by cymaz
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, cymaz said:

Cheers MattyB. I’ve looked on the site and the link that tells you on the website.

I bought up this issue as I’m sure that there are a lot of flyers with Frsky fasst receivers 

By all accounts, I may just keep my gear now until the 9CAP is not working or gets broken. It’s in perfect working order now. I best get saving!

Unfortunately Frsky do have a bit of a rep for being economical with the truth at times, especially when it comes to developing firmware for older RXs to maintain compatibility (case in point, D8 support after 2015). If it isn’t in their commercial interest to provide it they will generally quietly “forget” in the hope it drives new RX sales instead. 

PS - Perhaps a question for @Mike Blandford... Are the TFR6 and TFR4 receivers flashable with new firmware do you know? If so might it be possible for an RF software genius such as yourself to develop something based on the TFR8 firmware for “new” (post 2015) FASST that could extend the life of these RXs?

Having done some reading and researching, I’ve ordered the necessary leads from Align..

I’ve

There are the same ports on the tf6 as on the tft8. I’m hoping I can update both successfully so the Futaba 18sz will operate them both  properly. 

TFR6

14CDA4C4-4CC5-44B7-96A8-F67885B6D5B5.thumb.jpeg.d9440089a45ee9f04f917d6f1b25ca5c.jpeg

TFR8

47A38A42-D096-4C0D-9649-D8025B9B1186.thumb.jpeg.70c3ef0fe4bf62e8186f016e0539939d.jpeg

28C0A3D3-A3BE-427B-B282-5E3532719B3A.png

Edited by cymaz

I tried to set up and install the Frsky up upgrade using the leads. Several problems...

• couldn’t open the zip file
  • lap top struggled to see the usb lead/plug thingy
  • just had a hissy fit and wouldn’t work

Luckily I didn’t  blow anything up and nothing burst into flames ( fortunate as I was using the kitchen table).

Conclusion is that when I come to change the Tx I will bite the bullet and change over to real futaba receivers. 

Anyone got got any second hand?

16 hours ago, cymaz said:

I tried to set up and install the Frsky up upgrade using the leads. Several problems...

• couldn’t open the zip file
  • lap top struggled to see the usb lead/plug thingy
  • just had a hissy fit and wouldn’t work

Luckily I didn’t  blow anything up and nothing burst into flames ( fortunate as I was using the kitchen table).

Conclusion is that when I come to change the Tx I will bite the bullet and change over to real futaba receivers. 

Anyone got got any second hand?

Yes, I did suspect you may have trouble upgrading those tbh given the limited firmware available on Frsky’s site and the lack of information online. On the up side there are plenty of S-FHSS compatible RXs out there that would work with any new TX and be a more economical option for smaller, cheaper models, though none have telemetry.

Given you will be forced to swap out RXs whatever you choose I would encourage you to look at other options beyond the big F. You obviously like and trust the brand, but it is very costly for what you get in terms of features, telemetry is expensive and still not std in all RXs, and I personally have concerns over the long term future of Futaba in terms of their recreational RC business. At least look at the offerings from Jeti and Frsky, maybe even Spektrum (though most Futaba flyers will generally come out in a rash at the mere thought of the latter in my experience...! ?). There are lots of good options out there.

Edited by MattyB

Crossfire is Team Black Sheep’s (TBS) proprietary long range protocol, originally designed for increased range FPV flying. People are peed off because all previous Frsky radios had JR module bays that supported third party modules, but the X20 has only a Lite bay which seems to have been locked down so you can’t use Crossfire, MPM modules etc

• 2 years later...

I'm flying with Futaba since May 1986,   37 years ago.  I've never used anything else to fly my planes only Futaba.   Why?  The answer is simple.  If its not broke don't fix it.  My first transmitter back then was a Futaba Challenger,   followed next by a Futaba Skysport 6.  Then in 2000, I bought a Futaba 9c Super.   Two years later, I bought the 2.4 Fasst module to set into the back of the transmitter and I bought my first Futaba 7 channel Fasst receiver to go with it.   Wind the clock forward now and I'm still flying my planes with the same transmitter trouble free and I now have no less than 17 Futaba 7 channel Fasst receivers as I find them brilliant and never ever any loss of signal and this is the year 2023.   I have always been one happy customer with Futaba and never found the need to change to another brand.   Long live Futaba.   If I live to be an old man and I'm 60 now I will still be flying my IC and electric aircraft with my Fasst receivers.   Good luck to everyone and many happy landings.   Kind regards Aidan 

• Like 1