FrSky S6R receiver problems after updating.

I've been updating all my planes with the latest FrSky firmware. Its not been an easy job, as it resets all the telemetry, and I have to reprogramme all the telemetry setting. I have three planes with  S6R receivers. The first updated normally and the telemetry logs are just as I expected. However 2 more have some really odd glitches that I can't explain. Here is the first, my Wot 4. Funfly 80amp receiver in this one. Before updating, perfectly normal flight pattern, after updating 3 huge current spikes shown in red 90,000,000amps on every flight!!! RSSI (in green) perfectly normal. These spikes did not affect the ESC.

image.thumb.png.d4fe0d77b341e3b45ec794644cbdd747.png

Here is the second, a Gypsy Moth, a new plane with a Neuron 60S controller. In this case the spikes are going up to over 100 amps, yet I have current limiting set to 50 amps.

image.thumb.png.033f8f2c544bacbb9b4913312cd71545.png

Similarly the BEC voltage is reading very oddly, with spikes up to 20v. Again I've shown the RSSI to highlight nothing abnormal is going on at those points with regards to telemetry. Clearly there are no such spikes actually happening otherwise I'd have spent an hour filling a bin bag with bits as the servos and receiver would have all failed. However, the spikes have been enough with the Neuron to shut the ESC down.

image.thumb.png.fc0916588c7fd9356a733b04e0afd95c.png

Any geniuses out there with an idea of what is going on.

My own thoughts are

1. Telemetry seems to be working OK, as RSSI looks quite normal.

2. Spikes affecting Neuron, so telemetry reading is feeding back directly to Neuron control system.

3. With the Funfly, these spikes have only occurred after updating firmware in receiver. Never a problem before. However, if the spikes are due to the firmware update and it somehow affecting the telemetry, how come the Neuron is affected?

Edited by Andy48

Just some thoughts

Have not a clue about FrSky or updating

But are there any clues that the graph registers 0 amps for most of the flight

And 5 volts, for most of the flight and at some points in the record, these go to minus volts

It almost as is the software maths are calibrated wrongly, and the peak multiplier magnifying by 10 or 100

So

Is this a faulty download, that I think the boys would be aware of,

Or is it your computer's handling of the download

55 minutes ago, Denis Watkins said:

Just some thoughts

Have not a clue about FrSky or updating

But are there any clues that the graph registers 0 amps for most of the flight

And 5 volts, for most of the flight and at some points in the record, these go to minus volts

It almost as is the software maths are calibrated wrongly, and the peak multiplier magnifying by 10 or 100

So

Is this a faulty download, that I think the boys would be aware of,

Or is it your computer's handling of the download

This is the BEC voltage, which should be 5v throughout the flight. Then there are the + and - spikes which I cannot explain.

The first graph doesn't register 0 volts, its just that the graph is scaled to include the peaks, and as such the normal current drawn 20-40amps is  insignificant compared to the 90,000,000 amp spikes.

Definitely not my computer handling the download, never seen this problem before, and downloading older files do not show this spike effect. Similarly the same firmware does not give problems except with these two receivers, and yet a third similar one behaves perfectly.

Think I would be tempted re-install old firmware on one of the faulty receivers and  check readings, if okay reinstall the latest software and check again - might tell you whether you are doing something wrong re the update process and / or definitely  confirm a fault in the software ....  Where all the receivers from the same batch - especially the 2 faulty ones ?

Edited by conrad taggart

I cannot install the old software again as this requires uninstalling that software on the transmitter too. No the receivers are a different batch.

I really don't understand it at all, but probably similar to your thinking I will try one of my new Access stabilised receivers instead, and possibly replace the ESC and run the plane up and check the telemetry each time. Job for tomorrow as it is due to rain all day.

There have been quite a few reports of unstable telemetry on ACCESS RXs over on RCGroups, but obviously the S6R is ACCST...  I would ask there in the radios forum, that is where the biggest gurus of all things Frsky firmware hang out.

Edited by MattyB

10 hours ago, MattyB said:

There have been quite a few reports of unstable telemetry on ACCESS RXs over on RCGroups, but obviously the S6R is ACCST...  I would ask there in the radios forum, that is where the biggest gurus of all things Frsky firmware hang out.

Cheers Matty, this is what I am going to do, along with swapping out and testing. The puzzling part is the same instability in the Neuron ESC, that must originate in the ESC as far as I can see, for the ESC to go into reduced power mode.