Model for bungee launching

Shaun Walsh

I have a Circle Dancer which flies well in light winds but can anyone recommend something for higher wind speeds. I have a second hand High Sierra which would probably be OK if it responded to rudder movements (currently fitting a much larger rudder) but is there anything currently available around 2 metres span with a similar mass capable of flying off a bungee and penetrating in higher winds. I have a Graupner Cumulus which would probably be good but cannot bring myself to risk it, I have converted it to electric motor pylon power for flying on calm days.

Any suggestions?

I have an Amigo II which would fit the description of your Circle Dancer.

This flies perfectly well in windy conditions (20mph) without modification but with slightly altered trimming.

Better penetration in wind can be acquired by adding ballast to a light wind model, but make sure there is a sufficiently strong structure to support the additional weight and wing strength.

Bungee launching in a strong wind does carry the risk of overloading the structure on the way up as the machine will more than likely provide extra stretch on the way up, don't ask how I know this.

When I flew towline gliders regularly I trimmed new models & practiced using bungee or power winches. The wings were relatively heavy because they were designed around being able to take the stresses of fast launching, necessary to get into a developing area of lift, with a "ping" release to gain extra altitude. 

When all moulded designs became available they proved lighter & stronger with vastly superior performance but (IMO) too costly for all but dedicated competition flyers. 

I gradually gave up on bungee launches, selling off most models but keeping a couple mainly for slope soaring. Despite what might be considered relatively high wing loading (circa 14oz/sq ins) they have proved to be capable of flying in a wide range of wind conditions including very light wind, better than the likes of Alulas. 

When brushless motors became available I turned to E-gliders for flat field flying & abandoned bungee altogether. Nicad batteries were the norm at first but now with lipos "self launch" thermal gliders can be built lighter than pure gliders were because their wings are not subjected to the same stress during launch even though they go up just as fast.           

I can recommend the Art Hobby range of gliders from T9 Hobby Sports.

I have the 2.7m Odyssey and it goes up on the 3/8" luggage rack bungee perfectly. There's quite a range of gliders and they can be ordered as straight glider or electric. The Odyssey can be built either way. They are built to order so if they are listed as out of stock then they can still be ordered and are usually ready for shipping in a couple of weeks.

SpeedsterDen on YT is an afficianado with these gliders and he shows how versatile they can be.

Highly recommended.

On 09/05/2021 at 00:18, PatMc said:

...When brushless motors became available I turned to E-gliders for flat field flying & abandoned bungee altogether. Nicad batteries were the norm at first but now with lipos "self launch" thermal gliders can be built lighter than pure gliders were because their wings are not subjected to the same stress during launch even though they go up just as fast.           

Great point. I simply can't see me using a bungee again (outside of the odd EDF); modern e-gliders are so much simpler to operate, especially if you're on your own, and their performance is superb. Here in the UK you norrmally end up needing a bit of weight to fight the wind anyway, so getting the absolute lightest model is not generally (IMO) that important.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...