T6K Servo Speed?

tizdaz

Hi guys,

How do i setup servo speed on my T6K?

I want the flaps to move slowly which I have set on Channel 5 and are activated with a 3 position switch (Off/Half/Full) switch works fine and flaps go into position, but i want them to move slowly instead of the default speed.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

I have programmed a club mates T6K, I don't think the T6K has the option of slowing down a servo or control function. You can also get inlinme servo slow units from here  .

A few years back I used one of these servo slow and reverse to operate dual flaps, with a Spektrum Dx6i, it worked well. The only thing to note is that if you have a mix to add in elevator compensation as the flaps are deployed, is that he compensation will be added immediately.

Edited by Frank Skilbeck

I have never found one of those inline servo slow things that actually worked without giving my servos epilepsy. If you guys say those other ones are good i might have to give them a go. 

Not that it really matters i suppose, but channel 5 on futaba is traditionally used for the gear. Channel 6 is flaps. It might cause some confusion if you get into programming mixes as i dont know if it will accept channel changes in certain mixes. 

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines

1 hour ago, Graham Davies 3 said:

I can't comment on the T6K, but I solved a similar problem with the tailwheel retract on my Yak3 and my old 9CAP by using a servo speed reducer. £7 delivered from Ebay and does exactly what I needed. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352752970945 

Hi, I had a look at that, but it says 6v, my battery is 7.4 lipo I'm using spektrum hv servos ?

If I can dig out my old 3 channel Turnigy servo slow, I'll try it on a 2s Lipo, I don't use it now as my transmitters have built in slow.

Your other option would be to get some HV digital servos that can be programmed so you can adjust the speed, but then you would need the programmer too, ay which point a transmitter with built in control/servo slow starts to make more sense. Or go to a lower voltage Rx battery, the HV servos will still work, at a slightly reduced torque.

1 hour ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

I have never found one of those inline servo slow things that actually worked without giving my servos epilepsy. If you guys say those other ones are good i might have to give them a go.

Morning Jon,

The cheapo one I bought seems to work well. It is being used for a mechanical tailwheel retract driven from a cheap mini servo. The whole set up including retract, wheel, servo and speed reducer weighs 40g, so it's all lightweight and 'low demand'. I guess horses for courses!

1 hour ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

If I can dig out my old 3 channel Turnigy servo slow, I'll try it on a 2s Lipo, I don't use it now as my transmitters have built in slow.

Your other option would be to get some HV digital servos that can be programmed so you can adjust the speed, but then you would need the programmer too, ay which point a transmitter with built in control/servo slow starts to make more sense. Or go to a lower voltage Rx battery, the HV servos will still work, at a slightly reduced torque.

Hiya, 

The servos I have are the HV Spektrum A6380, so guess this programmer would be best option, or a 6v battery instead of my 7,4? 

20 minutes ago, tizdaz said:

Hiya, 

The servos I have are the HV Spektrum A6380, so guess this programmer would be best option, or a 6v battery instead of my 7,4? 

Went a little overboard on the servos there. Nothing wrong with them as such, but they are massive overkill for a model of that type and there are a number of more cost effective solutions available. Given the choice, i would have bought a slightly higher spec radio (the futaba 10 for example) and cheaper servos for a better all round capability. 

In any case, although the servos are HV you could drop them to run at 6v with either a regulator or by using a 6v subc nimh battery. Then you should be within spec for the servo slow thingo. 

36 minutes ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

Looking at the instructions for the 10J it doesn't look like that does servo slow either, but the 12K does.

Nope, its why i didnt buy one as an upgrade from the 8j i currently own. The 8 and 10 do have more options though with 3 position switches and a rotary job. Not that the rotary is brilliantly placed mind you

11 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Nope, its why i didnt buy one as an upgrade from the 8j i currently own. The 8 and 10 do have more options though with 3 position switches and a rotary job. Not that the rotary is brilliantly placed mind you

The T6K which I currently have has 3 position switches and rotary knob, but as pointed out the 10j still doesn't have servo speed option, think I will just use a 6v battery and use an I line servo slow down module, best option I think ? 

6 hours ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

I've looked into the programming part, apparently there is no programmer available for the Spektrum A6380 servos! One thing with RC Electrics.. All the years I've done RC modelling, when it comes to electrics/Radios etc.. Nothing is ever straight forward! You either need this or that to make "it" work! .. & they say digital is "better"!

On 10/05/2021 at 12:41, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Give it a go. I have never had any joy with the servo slow modules but if these guys say they have had good experience with them then fair enough. I might order a few myself

Try the Logic RC Servo Slow, I just bought it and tested it, works flawlessly, also has 2 chan built into it so you only need 1 module to connect 2 servos, will post vid later ?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, tizdaz said:

Try the Logic RC Servo Slow, I just bought it and tested it, works flawlessly, also has 2 chan built into it so you only need 1 module to connect 2 servos, will post vid later ?

If this is going in an IC model make sure you test it with the engine running to make sure it isn't affected by vibration or if it's a petrol engine, interference from the spark ignition.

18 hours ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

If this is going in an IC model make sure you test it with the engine running to make sure it isn't affected by vibration or if it's a petrol engine, interference from the spark ignition.

Just now, tizdaz said:

Works all good, no interference, for those that get the "jitter" effect, this happened to me once I connected the second servo, so I had a play around and the fix is to use a Y lead between the servos and module. Works with no issues now and very smooth ?

9 minutes ago, tizdaz said:

Works all good, no interference

With the motor running?

Having to use a Y lead to get servos to work isn't exactly promising.

Is the normal servo speed causing an issue in flight when flaps go down?

30 minutes ago, Nigel R said:

With the motor running?

Having to use a Y lead to get servos to work isn't exactly promising.

Is the normal servo speed causing an issue in flight when flaps go down?

A Y lead is what is usually used when you want to run 2 servos off the same channel, the module I'm using is a 2 channel module (most slow down modules are single channel) so instead of using 2 channels for the module/flaps I'm now using a single channel for the flaps, to be honest this is how it's meant to be setup after looking up information on the module, which means I still have the other channel on the module free to use for anything else, although I prob have no need for the 2nd channel on it. 

Yes, checked with engine running, if you do suffer with interference from engine spark in petrol engines, this is usually down to poor insulation on the cap and/or poor placement of RX. 

here's vid:

My original method of setting this module up was to connect both channels of the module to 2 separate channels on my RX then connect the 2 flap servos to the module & the outcome was the issue above

However, I then did this....

Connect ONE channel of the Module to a chosen channel on your RX (For mine its Channel #5) now connect the single connector of the Y Lead to  the correct channel on the module & then connect both Flap servos to the Y Lead.

The module I'm using is the "Logic RC Servo Slow" which is a 2 channel servo slow module that supports up to 8.4v, so it's good for 7.2v RX Lipo packs  (Most of these modules when I was looking to buy only support up to 6v!). I picked it up for less than £10 from my LHS which is a much cheaper than a new TX that supports Servo Speed setting!

In the video you can only see one flap as my other wing I'm still building! But the other servo is connected out of sight & it works in sync with correct speed.

As mentioned in my previous post, I have tested this setup in another model using a 26cc Zen 2-Stroke engine for any issues. But to be honest the issues people are having with this will not be interference, my guess is it will be the voltage pulse which is out of sync from the module causing it to flutter. But the trick above worked for me no issues.

[url]

Cheers!

Edited by tizdaz

• 1 year later...
On 10/05/2021 at 07:55, tizdaz said:

Hi guys,

How do i setup servo speed on my T6K?

I want the flaps to move slowly which I have set on Channel 5 and are activated with a 3 position switch (Off/Half/Full) switch works fine and flaps go into position, but i want them to move slowly instead of the default speed.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

can you please tell me "How to setup flaperons on futaba t6k tx.