FrSKY X20 who has one ?

WayneB

Hi Bob

My x12s has always had bad RSSI be it flying or range check. Amy Taranis 2019 SE bound to the same model is nearly double the distance at range check. I get the first warning RSSI @35 at 30 paces and critical at @32 two paces further, just changing the TX and I can walk over 60 paces before I get a critical....

I have always had to use the external antenna even with ACCST.

Even VFR starts to disappear while the Taranis is rock steady.

Just have no confidence it it so never use it. When you have spent 400 hours building a scale model you don't want to keep hearing signal critical 

1 hour ago, charlie holdford said:

I have a Horus x12s and it's RSSI has always been less than useless. I have even put in the Access internal module and that is just as bad. Never use it as it just keeps warning me that I am about to crash my model...

It it is now used as a very expensive door stop, I was going to try the new ETHOS software but it's not worth the effort. Will just keep my Taranis.....

Sounds like something faulty on the RF side, changing the operating system to Ethos won't fix that, but upgrading the RF firmware might. But if not then you should send the radio in for checking.

Well Frank, you are right give the latest Github posts....

I can assure you I have changed both the firmware and Swapped out the internal module. Even tried the Access upgrade. Each time the Taranis out performs. It is without doubt the most expensive doorstop I own. Looks good and it's a shame but it's not worth taking the risk.

Its usable if you turn the volume down ?

Had a good half dozen or so long flights on the slope at the weekend with the X20S - no problems at all.  Flying a mix of X4R / X8R receivers, all on ACCST.  Have bought a couple of Archer receivers recently, I guess I better not get them airborne until the RF firmware is updated in the next couple of days.

20 hours ago, charlie holdford said:

Hi Bob

My x12s has always had bad RSSI be it flying or range check. Amy Taranis 2019 SE bound to the same model is nearly double the distance at range check. I get the first warning RSSI @35 at 30 paces and critical at @32 two paces further, just changing the TX and I can walk over 60 paces before I get a critical....

I have always had to use the external antenna even with ACCST.

Even VFR starts to disappear while the Taranis is rock steady.

Just have no confidence it it so never use it. When you have spent 400 hours building a scale model you don't want to keep hearing signal critical 

That is very disap[pointing - did you get it from T9, and if so have they taken it back for investigation?

On 28/05/2021 at 13:04, MattyB said:

That is very disap[pointing - did you get it from T9, and if so have they taken it back for investigation?

MattyB yes purchased Dec 2018 from T9

discussed the telemetry files at the time but nothing forthcoming.

cant be asked now, if anyone wants a Horus x12s with Para and Access with 2 cell Lipo you can have it for £60 post paid ?

1 hour ago, charlie holdford said:

MattyB yes purchased Dec 2018 from T9

discussed the telemetry files at the time but nothing forthcoming.

cant be asked now, if anyone wants a Horus x12s with Para and Access with 2 cell Lipo you can have it for £60 post paid ?

Horus Sold.....

Edited by charlie holdford
Now sold

Thanks for all the info guy’s, but I think will leave the X20 for now. Think I shall just get a new X9D with some Access receivers for now and be done with it. Hopefully will have another look in the future when it settles down a bit, I still like the look of ethos operating system and will look forward to having a proper look at the transmitter in time.

Cheers.

• Like 1

On 05/06/2021 at 10:05, ken anderson. said:

hello cymaz,consider the radiomaster T16s....MPM fitted,i was a bit iffy before i bought mine as a back up,but i'm impressed with its features and build for the money.

ken anderson...ne..1..radiomaster dept.

Ok...?

That's all a bit disappointing. My Taranis is starting to get a little scruffy and 'looser' feeling so I was gently meandering towards a more expensive FrSky offering.  Maybe I am better off replacing a gimbal, to remove the 'throttle warning' message, and maybe even swapping the case.....

Re range, I have found the Taranis rock solid - apart from in a H9 Ultrastick that suffered issues with multiple receivers that I could only cure by relocating the servos from the tail. Even chokes didn't cure the issue.

As an aside, does everyone have a backup transmitter? And do you keep the model settings aligned between the two?  

GG

My two Txs are X9D+ and X9D+2019 and, when first transferring models between them I noticed that the data on the initial setup screen was wrong each time I transferred.  I then realised that was because of the different RF modules in the two Txs -- the + is ACCST only, and the +2019 is ACCESS/ACCST.  So now I keep some models exclusively in one Tx and others in the other.  Backups of both are kept on my laptop so that transfer between the two is possible if necessary, but it requires careful checking and correction of the data if done.

6 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

That's all a bit disappointing. My Taranis is starting to get a little scruffy and 'looser' feeling so I was gently meandering towards a more expensive FrSky offering.  Maybe I am better off replacing a gimbal, to remove the 'throttle warning' message, and maybe even swapping the case.....

4 hours ago, Tim Ballinger said:

No backup Tx for my Horus X10 but model memories saved to my Mac. Really hoping the X20 is eventually able to import those files then I might think about buying one.

Tim

You are both in a boat that a number of us are in - wondering if there will be a compelling, high quality hardware for OpenTX/EdgeTX in the near future. At this point I don't think Frsky will be providing it; the X10 was killed by MPM sets, and their eggs are now squarely in the proprietary ETHOS basket now. Will Radiomaster or Jumper step up and provide a higher build quality set, otr is it too much of a risk for them in terms cost when it could eaily be cloned? Maybe a company like  Mpx could jump on the OTX/EdgeTX bandwagon? Who knows. 

Yes, it's a shame as the early FrSky offerings certainly shook up the market. 

I even has 5 mins of 'tranny envy' when two of my flying buddies used their ix12 and ix20.  A quick search on t'internet killed that envy stone dead on a value basis.  DISCLAIMER - I am not knocking any non FrSky offering.......    

• 1 month later...

A great 6 day's of flying on the Lleyn Peninsula with the PSSA guys, about 3/4 of which was with the X20S (the rest was with the X12S).  Faultless throughout the event, and those that handled it thought it felt really great in their hands too.  Really loving this radio.

• Like 1

I'm working on getting erskyTx running on the X20. I have a simple test program actually running, but there is a lot to discover. Currently my program runs, outputs data to the SPort for debug purposes, and is able to read all the switches, trims and buttons.
The next step is to get the display and the analog inputs working.

This won't happen too quickly as, unlike other radios, FrSky have not released any data on the X20 hardware, so I'm having to work everything out from the ETHOS code (disassembled).

I plan to create a low level module that accesses the hardware. This might then be useable by openTx/edgeTx.

Mike

• Like 2

On 07/06/2021 at 06:47, GrumpyGnome said:

As an aside, does everyone have a backup transmitter? And do you keep the model settings aligned between the two?  

GG

I have an X10 Express as a backup for my X10 (with updated boards). Very happy with the X10. Both tx have the model settings aligned. Also use the Express as a buddy box. Certainly won't be going near an X20 for a year or more. I'll let the dust settle.

On 16/07/2021 at 11:53, Mike Blandford said:

I'm working on getting erskyTx running on the X20. I have a simple test program actually running, but there is a lot to discover. Currently my program runs, outputs data to the SPort for debug purposes, and is able to read all the switches, trims and buttons.
The next step is to get the display and the analog inputs working.

This won't happen too quickly as, unlike other radios, FrSky have not released any data on the X20 hardware, so I'm having to work everything out from the ETHOS code (disassembled).

I plan to create a low level module that accesses the hardware. This might then be useable by openTx/edgeTx.

Mike

Sounds excellent Mike. You are not going to be on Fraky’s Xmas card list if you succeed, though…. ?