FrSKY X20 who has one ?

WayneB

Has anyone actually got a FrSKY X20 yet, or even picked one up ? 
Interested in your thoughts if you have, I’ve seen the video’s etc but would prefer a real users opinion ie- someone who payed for it or was at leased interested in it.

Cheers for any replies Wayne.

2 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

I'm assuming that the red slider replaces the central rotary control on the likes of the Horus. It does look nice though!

Not quite.

The central rotary control on the Horus has 6 positions. The X20 replaces this with the 6 "latching" buttons to the left and right of the central slider. These may be easier to use by touch for something like flight modes than the rotary switch. I think the 6 buttons are an improvement on the rotary switch.

The Horus has two sliders to the left and right of the on/off switch. I suspect that the X20 central slider replaces one of these. Of all the controls on the transmitter, I would expect that the central slider will be the least used. So why make it bright red? I suspect that it is red for cosmetic reasons, but it doesn't work for me. If they wanted red, they should have made the on/off switch red.

I do like that the front mounted switches have been angled back and the spacing between switches has been maximised, again to make them easier to find by touch. On the other hand, the side sliders don't look right to me. I would expect to operate these with my index finger underneath the transmitter (I have my thumbs on the sticks), but the sliders look as though they are designed to be operated from the top (tray styled to suit stick pinchers?).

Also missing from the X20 are Trim switches T5 and T6 as found on the Horus - never used them but handy to have.

Touch screen? Not convinced about the need for this, but I get that tablet / smart phone users expect it these days, so who am I to complain?

One issue that's been raised is that the 6 buttons act as 6 individual on/off controls so can't be used to replace the Horus 6 position switch, eg for flight modes.  A gross mistake in my opinion that they were not configured as 6 position changeover!  It's been raised on Github so that might be different in future versions of Ethos.

I've played with Ethos on my X10S and X12S and so far I'd say it will provide everything needed for 95% of flyers and may be an easier transition than OpenTX for most.

How would a 6 position changeover work Bob? Surely on a six position switch, the (logical) contact is made (true / logic 1) with the switch in the appropriate position and not made (false / logic 0) with the switch in any other position. Not looked inside but I'm pretty sure that there aren't 6 wired outputs to the Horus switch. I think the switch operates a potentiometer, same as the other rotary knobs. The difference is that it has 6 detents and the position of each of the 6 positions is calculated during calibration, from the analogue value.

On the X20, pressing one of the buttons (logically) latches that position and unlatches the other 5 positions. It also gives a visible backlight as feedback of which button is latched. Surely this is almost the same function as the 6 position Horus switch, unless I'm not understanding the issue. The big difference is that on the Horus, you need to go through position 2,3,4,5 to get from position 1 to 6 (unless you are very fast and accurate on the switch). On the X20, you can go straight from 1 to 6. The bottom line is that on both systems, the "switch" can only be in 1 of the 6 possible positions at any time.

1 hour ago, Alan Hilton said:

Does the module port on the back take a djt module

Alan

Afraid not. It takes the XJT lite.

• Built-in TD 900M/2.4G Dual-Band Internal RF Module Supports Multiple Working Modes
    • 2.4G ACCST D16Mode (Compatible with ACCST Receivers with D16 V2 or later FW)
    • 2.4G ACCESSMode (Compatible with ACCESS Receivers)
    • 900M ACCESSMode (Compatible with ACCESS R9 868/915MHz Receivers)
      (*Capable of simultaneous working under ACCESS mode)
    • 2.4G & 900M TD Mode (Compatible with TD Receivers)
  • Super-low latency and long-range control with telemetry
    (*Up to 50 to 100KM range and down to 4ms end-to-end latency)
  • 800*480 Color Touch-Screen Displays
  • 6 Quick-Mode Custom Buttons (Front) and 2 Momentary Buttons (Rear)
  • Lite Type External Module Bay
  • Built-in 6-axis Gyroscope Sensor
  • All CNC Metal Trims, Knobs
  • Haptic Vibration Alerts and Voice Speech Outputs
  • Supports SWR Indicator Warning
  • Supports Recharge System for 2S Li-ion Battery (USB Type-C Interface)
  • High-speed PARA Wireless Training System (Compatible with FreeLink App3.0)
  • High-Precision Hall-Sensor Gimbals with Metal Panel
  • ETHOS: The more powerful, Flexible and Intuitive OS for your radio.
    • Clear and Intuitive UI Design
    • Supports Dual Operation Modes of Radio Display (Touch and Non-Touch)
    • Supports Multi-Language Switching
    • Hardware/Software Version and Factory Version Detection
    • Supports running LUA Scripts

6 minutes ago, Kevin Fairgrieve said:
  • (*Up to 50 to 100KM range and down to 4ms end-to-end latency)

Is it up to 50KM or up to 100KM range?

That will make all the difference as to whether I buy one or not.

I wouldn't want to lose control at 75KM as I might struggle to see where it crashes at that distance ?

5 hours ago, Gary Manuel said:

On the X20, pressing one of the buttons (logically) latches that position and unlatches the other 5 positions. It also gives a visible backlight as feedback of which button is latched. Surely this is almost the same function as the 6 position Horus switch, unless I'm not understanding the issue.

From the reports on RCGroups and issue on github the switches operate as 6 independent switches, ie if you used them for flight modes you would be able to select up to 6 modes at the same time.  I would have expected it to work in the way you describe but that doesn't seem to be the way of things.

Edited by Bob Cotsford

Ah, that does sound like an issue and is not described as working that way in the bumph I've read. 

How are the 6 mode switches unselected? Like a toggle switch? Press once to select, press again to deselect?

Edited by Gary Manuel
Question added.

2 hours ago, Gary Manuel said:

Ah, that does sound like an issue and is not described as working that way in the bumph I've read. 

How are the 6 mode switches unselected? Like a toggle switch? Press once to select, press again to deselect?

So if you unselect all 6 is that flight mode 7?