FrSKY X20 who has one ?

WayneB

1 hour ago, WayneB said:

Never used anymore than 3 flight modes anyway, cheers again Kevin.

Only model I've ever used more than 3 flight modes on was my Phoenix 2000 full house glider. That had 6 modes, spread over two switches on my JR DSX9, which got too complicated to use. 6 buttons would have been ideal (but not as the X20 is working now).

On 11/05/2021 at 09:08, WayneB said:

Has anyone actually got a FrSKY X20 yet, or even picked one up ? 
Interested in your thoughts if you have, I’ve seen the video’s etc but would prefer a real users opinion ie- someone who payed for it or was at leased interested in it.

Cheers for any replies Wayne.

So back on topic.

I have managed to transfer eight models over as of this morning. Navigating around ETHOS was a little strange to start with, but once you know where to find things it gets a lot easier.

The 64 million $ question? I have yet to find anything that I could do in OpenTX that I can not do in ETHOS.

Today I also added an XJT Lite, so D8 is now an option for me. One Taranis and two Horus X12S possibly made redundant.

large.768989337_DSCF02521.JPG.ab8f0416d01c0b028c22e70c60e11941.JPG

As a pincher I have found that it sits well in my hands, but I do suspect that I will need to use the neck strap when hand launching.

Most of the buttons are well laid out and logic dictates that it is very similar to my previous TX`s.

One small gripe so far! The rotary wheel on the right seems to often skip past a letter. I would have rather it had a rubber feel.

Other than that all is good.

2 hours ago, Kevin Fairgrieve said:

So back on topic.

I have managed to transfer eight models over as of this morning. Navigating around ETHOS was a little strange to start with, but once you know where to find things it gets a lot easier.

The 64 million $ question? I have yet to find anything that I could do in OpenTX that I can not do in ETHOS.

Today I also added an XJT Lite, so D8 is now an option for me. One Taranis and two Horus X12S possibly made redundant.

large.768989337_DSCF02521.JPG.ab8f0416d01c0b028c22e70c60e11941.JPG

As a pincher I have found that it sits well in my hands, but I do suspect that I will need to use the neck strap when hand launching.

Most of the buttons are well laid out and logic dictates that it is very similar to my previous TX`s.

One small gripe so far! The rotary wheel on the right seems to often skip past a letter. I would have rather it had a rubber feel.

Other than that all is good.

Photo of it above/below your Taranis please Kev ?

On 14/05/2021 at 01:31, Gary Manuel said:

Not quite.

Also missing from the X20 are Trim switches T5 and T6 as found on the Horus - never used them but handy to have.

Not quite x2 - you're comparing this X20 to an X12S - which is not the intended replacement.  The X24 will replace the X12S, with the extra sliders, rotary knob and T5 & T6.  The X20 is the X10 replacement.

I've got screen brightness set to the red slider - quite useful to have the high contrast if I need to tweak the screen whilst in flight.

• Like 1

I’ve watched the review posted by WayneB, gosh this is a monster. Any new radio bought will be different in feel and operation for the first few weeks, much like this new forum platform. 

What will probably make me move from Futaba is the replacement costs. The price of the x20s and 10 receivers ( depending on spec) about £700, . The R8 with 3 axis gyro.....under £38.  Nearly £200 cheaper than a Futaba 18sz and 1 Rx. 

I know now a few people will say, “ oh, what about Futaba quality”. Well Bentley make beautiful cars....doesn’t mean I can afford one.

I am thinking of the X20, as was wanting to update. I have a mix of 3 transmitters for one reason or another at the moment but want to focus on the one only. I have a Teranis so ok with open tx and FrSKy and thought of going to the Access as it was an up to date protocol. Plus I like the look Ethos from what I have seen. We will see.

On 16/05/2021 at 19:13, Kevin Fairgrieve said:

First flight with the X20 today. ?

First flight with ETHOS today. ??

First flight with ACCESS today. ???

And the log files are compatible with OpenTX. 

Any chance of a review?? That would be great...thanks?

15 minutes ago, Kevin Fairgrieve said:

I am not particularly good at doing reviews.

Is there anything specific you would like to know?

Easy to set up ? Rx configuration and set up, any issues?

I use pinch method on the sticks , is it comfortable to hold?

That sort of thing, much appreciated 

I always did my setting up on the TX, even on the Taranis and Horus. Companion was mainly used for backing up and importing logs. I have so far been able to still import the logs.

In my opinion Ethos is pretty much a graphic interface for Open TX.

So far I have set up 24 models from basic four channel sport models, to models with gear and flaps. 

Setting up throttle cut and special functions is a breeze. Pretty much the same as OTX

The setting up of an ACCESS rx requires first that the rx is paired to the tx and then bound. A simple procedure and once done allows any OTA rx to be updated without digging out the rx from the bowels of a model. I also have a number of RX4R and RX6R, but these are not OTA capable, they are however ACCESS or ACCST  rx.

All of my older X8R, X6R and the like all bind in D16 mode. I had a mass WORKSHOP session where I updated all of them to ACCST V2 with the latest available firmware from the FrSky website.

So far I have only had four flight, but I have found the tx to be quite light. Previously I had my Horus on a neck strap but have not felt the need to break out the strap. That may well change once I start flying my hand launch belly land models. 

As a pincher the gimbles are well placed and close to the edge of the tx. I have not used the additional grips supplied as I think they detract from the feel.

I have also added an XJT lite, so that my V8R7-II and non D16 rx are compatible. Setting these up is just a case of selecting the external module and the rest of the programming is identical.

6 hours ago, cymaz said:

Thanks for taking the time to do that. Seems a very capable radio. No niggles or drawbacks ?

Despite being a comitted Frsky user I wouldn't consider one at this point, and will not until Ethos and the X20/24 H/W have been field provien for at least a year. Why? Because Frsky releases in recent years have been fraught with issues, and I do not trust them when it comes to releasing software right first time.

There have been just too many instances of issues in their early run products (early Redundancy Buses causing crashes, faulty hardware in G-series receivers, buggy receiver firmware for the ACCST v2 rollout, telemetry issues with ACCESS etc) for me to put trust in a brand new TX like this, especially one with a brand new OS. Having Bertrand Songis from the OpenTX Dev team lead the ETHOS project is partially reassuring, but it's clear from posts on RCGroups that there are plenty of software teething issues at this time, especially for an OpenTX user usch as myself who likes to use the more advanced features (for instance there are no global variables at this point in ETHOS). I will wait at least 12 months to see a) if they can turn ETHOS into something with the power of OpenTX, and b) whether there is some more high end hardware from a.n.other manufactrer that runs OpenTX that would be an easier transition for me.

After playing with Ethos on an X10S and X12S I  would be happy using it in it's present state even though there are still a few advanced features missing, most notable for me being calculated sensor values.  All the  basic functions are there for the majority of modellers though there are areas that need tidying up. 

I've ordered an X20 to play with and should have that in my grubby mitts in 4 or 5 hours ?.  I've done this with the full understanding that the software is really only up to beta test standards and will need frequent updates for a while.

I've stated this elsewhere  - in my view FrSky have put the X20/X20S on open sale prematurely,  they should have been sold with a big sticker saying 'BETA INITIAL RELEASE FOR ASSESSMENT ONLY' on all advertising or better still, offered for sale to a larger control group for assessment with a commensurate discount for the guinea pig status.

The X20s should not have gone on open sale until Ethos was at least 95% complete and included some of the more advanced features to equal OpenTX (is software ever 100% complete?) with a desktop application to go with it.

I can only say that I've not personally had any issues with FrSky gear that have put me off, maybe I've just been lucky in my choices of gear.  My expectations will be that I'll have a similar experience to when I bought my Taranis 7 years ago when OpenTX was in it's infancy.  With time the X20/Ethos experience will grow and mature.