FrSKY X20 who has one ?

WayneB

It looks marvellous.

The only thing that would put me off getting one is that the majority of my current gear is JR / Spectum DSM2 based. If only the X20 (/X24)  took an MPM (maybe in the future or maybe not for commercial reasons?)

It's a serious contender for recommending to new entrants to the hobby or anyone switching from 35MHz to 2.4GHz (or anyone who just likes to have the best gear around).

4 hours ago, Gary Manuel said:

The only thing that would put me off getting one is that the majority of my current gear is JR / Spectum DSM2 based. If only the X20 (/X24)  took an MPM (maybe in the future or maybe not for commercial reasons?)

They have categorically stated it will never support any "Devices that involve intellectual property theft", though there is a process for manufacturers to certify their own modules for use with Frsky - apparently Immersion RC are already doing this for their Ghost offering. Re: the theft, presumably they are talking about the MPM but it is a bit rich given their history of manufacturing RXs based on reverse engineered protocols and blatently apeing others physical designs (see the Jeti vs Frsky Redundancy buses for example).

I suspect (as most things Frsky) this could change in future if they believe they are being hit commercially by the decision. We shall see, but you could make the case that with MPM raios now so cheap and so good, having one as a backup/spare and using that with your old RXs whislt jsut buying new ACCESS ones for anything you want to use the X20 with makes sense anyway.

Edited by MattyB

2 minutes ago, MattyB said:

They have categorically stated it will never support any "Devices that involve intellectual property theft". Presumably they are talking about the MPM, but it is a bit rich given their history of manufacturing RXs based on reverse engineered protocols. I suspect (as most things Frsky) this could change in future if they believe they are being hit commercially by the decision. We shall see, but you could make the case that with MPM raios now so cheap and so good, having one as a backup/spare and using that with your old RXs whislt jsut buying new ACCESS ones for anything you want to use that TX with is a perfectly reasonable solution.

I'm already using a Horus X12s with MPM anyway. That should cater for my needs for a while.

In my humble opinion.

The X20 is what the X12S should have been.

Smaller, lighter, easier to use out of the box. I was tied to FrOs as part of the BETA team, but switched over to OpenTX the day we were no longer under the NDA.

The X12 has more sliders and knobs, but in all honesty I never used them, apart from one on the front as a flap slider. The GPS in the X12S (not the GPS sensor in the plane) was also never used, so the loss of that is no loss to me, indeed under OpenTX it was not even implemented. 

Edited by Kevin Fairgrieve
Poor spelling.

I think they missed out with swapping the 6 position switch for half a dozen on-off buttons.  I used mine as throttle cut as it can't easily be knocked on by accident and I know others miss the functionality.

What's with the R9M they supply as part of the combo pack, why would they supply it as a DIY project requiring leads to be soldered on in order to connect it to the R8-Pro?  I guess it is effectively a freebie as the price difference to the tx only is more than covered by the R8-Pro.

Next to transfer the models that I've set up on my X10S to see if they work, copying between the X10S and X12S worked so fingers crossed!

1 hour ago, Kevin Fairgrieve said:

In my humble opinion.

The X20 is what the X12S should have been.

Smaller, lighter, easier to use out of the box. I was tied to FrOs as part of the BETA team, but switched over to OpenTX the day we were no longer under the NDA.

The X12 has more sliders and knobs, but in all honesty I never used them, apart from one on the front as a flap slider. The GPS in the X12S (not the GPS sensor in the plane) was also never used, so the loss of that is no loss to me, indeed under OpenTX it was not even implemented. 

I like the heavy feel of the Horus, but I do have large hands and am a thumb pusher. I fell in love with it as soon as I picked one up. I'm sure I'll get to handle an X20 and probably fall in love with that too.

Bob. I've read somewhere (possibly in this thread) that the 6 mode buttons issue has been logged as something for the software developers to have another look at.

Edited by Gary Manuel

1 hour ago, Gary Manuel said:

Bob. I've read somewhere (possibly in this thread) that the 6 mode buttons issue has been logged as something for the software developers to have another look at.

Yes, there are a few suggestions on Github as to how it could be handled.

I've just discovered that copying models from an X10S to the X20 doesn't work - another basic function that should have been tested before selling transmitters. Early days, eh?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bob Cotsford said:

I've just discovered that copying models from an X10S to the X20 doesn't work

After a night to cogitate and a quick play - transfers work just fine.

Provided the model doesn't reference the 6-pos switch (X10/12S) or 6 custom buttons (X20)!  I've raised an issue on Github to see if anything can be done as I use the 6-pos as throttle lock on all my models.

• Like 2

I've got the side extensions on and as a thumber it feels nice John, suitably solid with everything falling to hand - or finger- with the exception of the side sliders which to me are upside down.  The actuating arm is on top whereas I'd rather operate them with a forefinger from underneath.  It's not a big issue as I use them for flaps and there's enough of a tab on the back to control them fairly easily.  The plastic X20 sticks feel fine, I'd not even thought about them not being 10 bearing all metal units like the S series transmitters.

One other point to remember if sharing models between Horus and Tandem is the the right pot on a Horus is P3, on the Tandem it's P2 and P3 is the red central slider.  I've been setting gyro gain on the right pot with volume assigned to the T5 trim button and throttle cut on the 6 pos switch so I need to rethink my strategy there.  I guess I'd better look up how to set up sticky throttle cuts!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bob Cotsford said:

...... with the exception of the side sliders which to me are upside down.  The actuating arm is on top whereas I'd rather operate them with a forefinger from underneath.  It's not a big issue as I use them for flaps and there's enough of a tab on the back to control them fairly easily. 

I spotted that and thought it might be a problem to thumb pushers.

Does it look like it might be possible to remove the knobs from the switches, rotate through 180 degrees and replace?

48 minutes ago, cymaz said:

At the moment, it seems to have more bugs than a flea ridden hedgehog 

Indeed, probably because they repeated their age old trick of releasing information on the new OS and TX too early, falling behind their communicated timelines then rushing out a barely beta version under pressure as production ready. Nobody expects an absolutely perfect TX, but they are not playing at the bottom end of the market anymore - If they want to convince people they are worthy competitors to Futaba, Spek and Jeti the release needs to be as polished as this companies. Sadly I am not sure Frsky will ever be capable of that - they have been doing this a long time not to have learnt from previous mistakes...

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, MattyB said:

Indeed, probably because they repeated their age old trick of releasing information on the new OS and TX too early, falling behind their communicated timelines then rushing out a barely beta version under pressure as production ready. Nobody expects an absolutely perfect TX, but they are not playing at the bottom end of the market anymore - If they want to convince people they are worthy competitors to Futaba, Spek and Jeti the release needs to be as polished as this companies. Sadly I am not sure Frsky will ever be capable of that - they have been doing this a long time not to have learnt from previous mistakes...

Shareholder pressure?

Been there!

I do enjoy a conspiracy theory!

Issue 293 CLOSED https://github.com/FrSkyRC/ETHOS-Feedback-Community/issues/293

Not in the next update 1.0.8 ( I know it is a hardware issue and not ETHOS but come on FrSky.

But low and behold v1.0.7 which I am currently running has a new open issue! How if it is already in the wild, surely 1.0.8 should get that!!

X201.thumb.jpg.fb90f457a25348cf118a82bf59790e4e.jpgX20.thumb.jpg.8f9349218db6a22f43336e86a66332ae.jpg

Edited by Kevin Fairgrieve

10 hours ago, Kevin Fairgrieve said:

I do enjoy a conspiracy theory!

Issue 293 CLOSED https://github.com/FrSkyRC/ETHOS-Feedback-Community/issues/293

Not in the next update 1.0.8 ( I know it is a hardware issue and not ETHOS but come on FrSky.

But low and behold v1.0.7 which I am currently running has a new open issue! How if it is already in the wild, surely 1.0.8 should get that!!

X201.thumb.jpg.fb90f457a25348cf118a82bf59790e4e.jpgX20.thumb.jpg.8f9349218db6a22f43336e86a66332ae.jpg

A poor choice of words on my part!

Should have said an RF MODULE FIRMWARE issue rather than hardware.

21 hours ago, Kevin Fairgrieve said:

A poor choice of words on my part!

Should have said an RF MODULE FIRMWARE issue rather than hardware.

I have a Horus x12s and it's RSSI has always been less than useless. I have even put in the Access internal module and that is just as bad. Never use it as it just keeps warning me that I am about to crash my model...

It it is now used as a very expensive door stop, I was going to try the new ETHOS software but it's not worth the effort. Will just keep my Taranis.....