Ok convert me!

Hi John

Are you concerned about LiPo batteries because of either the safety aspect (charging fires) or the longevity and ease of which we can render them useless (by over discharging etc)?

Either way, the A123 batteries absolutely address both these concerns.

The manufacturers claim that the chemistry is inherrently safe. Have a good look round A123 Systems website  Where they say "A123Systems is one of the world's leading suppliers of high-power lithium ion batteries using our patented Nanophosphate™ technology designed to deliver a new combination of power, safety and life."

I can vouch for the robustness and long life. See my thread A123 cells acytually at end of life.

Don't do it John!

Electric planes are soul-less beasts, devoid of any character and missing the delightful sounds on offer from those little marvels we all know as IC engines.

Sure they might be noisy and some can be a little difficult but so are children and we still love them.

You wouldn't get rid of your kids John, don't get rid of your little glow gems either.

Pleeeeease John, pleeeeeease....

• 2 weeks later...
Ive just aquired a little electric model. Its in a pretty sorry state at the moment. Its only small, about 800mm span at best (allowing for its broken wing). I have little or no faith in the on-board electronics , so in a sense i should write it off. However, i intend to see this little aeroplane fly again. Ive been doing a bit of research and suspect it might be a model marketed by a firm called "G-MEX" in Germany. Basically, its a Piper Cub shaped model, plastic fuz and foam wing. What would you suggest as a decent (but inexpensive) set of kit for this model. As i said, i want to see it fly again, but i am not prepared to spend a fortune on it. Any advice (including "look for the nearest skip") would be most welcome. If i come up with anything i will post it here. Many thanks, John.

hi john i think the way technology as come on flight times are getting longer and longer and on par with ic, and it's cleaner. just think you can put all your stuff in the boot and not have the smell, don't know about you but i don't like the smell of the fuel, but what i do like is the sound and that's something you don't get with electric, i don't think you'll ever fully convert an ic flyer to electric,but reading other threads more ic flyers are keeping an electric model in the boot for that odd occasion when they think i wish i had a model with me.