Recommended servos for ARTF Acrowot EP and ARTF Wot 4 EP

Hi - I've got an Acrowot kit to build up and planning on getting a Wot 4 - I believe they need standard servos, 4-off each model. I've only used Radient servos before on a trainer and I've no idea what the price-performance-quality balance is like. I suspect price is the winner.

Can anybody recommend servos for the above models?

I'm relatively new to aeromodelling - I used to race cars and the general approach was for the servo to have a huge force and speed rating. Weight was almost irrelevant.

Futaba 3003 or 3001 would be more than adequate and reliable. The 3001 are more expensive because they are ball raced whereas the 3003 are not. You'll need 5 in total:  2 for ailerons, 1 for elevator, 1 for rudder and 1 for throttle which can be a smaller type such as 9g if you prefer. Please make sure you buy from a reputable retailer and not an unknown quantity on eBay to ensure they are genuine. The market is awash with fakes.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Phil McCavity said:

Futaba 3003 or 3001 would be more than adequate and reliable. The 3001 are more expensive because they are ball raced whereas the 3003 are not. You'll need 5 in total:  2 for ailerons, 1 for elevator, 1 for rudder and 1 for throttle which can be a smaller type such as 9g if you prefer. Please make sure you buy from a reputable retailer and not an unknown quantity on eBay to ensure they are genuine. The market is awash with fakes.

Thanks Phil. There's so many servos on the market it's hard to know what to pick. I'll be setting them up as electric, so 4 each.

Is it pointless to buy servos with extra torque or speed? With cars it has a direct and noticeable effect, but with planes the speed a surface moves must affect the model and I presume also the size of the control surface dictate torque required?

IMO (that's my caveat) yes at this level. Pattern 3d ships and big scale models with a good pilot at competition level will benefit from the extra torque, speed and precision but not so much at club flying Wot4 level. By all means buy them if you're feeling flush but for what you need it is unesessary expense. 

Thanks both, good to know. I've compared the model numbers you've both given with those on the 4-Max website suggestion - looks like the spec is standard size, ball raced, metal geared.

I've got to find a Wot 4 ARTF balsa now, nowhere has the thing in stock... Is there something I don't know about, i.e. a replacement coming?

10 hours ago, Mitchell Howard said:

I've got to find a Wot 4 ARTF balsa now, nowhere has the thing in stock... Is there something I don't know about, i.e. a replacement coming?

Steve Webb Models have them in stock:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chris-Foss-Wot4-Four-Classic-Kit-Kit-to-Build-Model-Aeroplane-Kit-/174229764093?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

47 minutes ago, Phil McCavity said:

Thanks Phil but that's the kit version. While I fancy building something in the future, the artf one is slightly bigger and has the electric pack. This might be the only way forward though judging by the stock issue.

Has anyone on here for experience building this kit? I gather converting to electric isn't as smooth as the artf makes it.

On 13/05/2021 at 18:34, Mitchell Howard said:

Thanks Phil. There's so many servos on the market it's hard to know what to pick. I'll be setting them up as electric, so 4 each.

Is it pointless to buy servos with extra torque or speed? With cars it has a direct and noticeable effect, but with planes the speed a surface moves must affect the model and I presume also the size of the control surface dictate torque required?

Futaba 3001 are a good balance of performance / price they just work and in anything up to .90 size they are fine.

Having said that most of my 3001 have been disposed of in the model when it was sold. I have also had great service from Futaba 9001s and the low end Hitec digitals eg 5625.

I have both an ARTF and a Foss kit Wot4, not the Foss Classic but the Mk3 tapered wing. The kit 4 is relatively new (bought half as a make project during Covid) and I have only flown it 3 times but first impression was that it was a slightly nicer plane to fly and thats saying a lot as I really like the ARTF 4. 

As regards the two planes, the ARTF 4 with the electric pack goes together very easily and will have you flying it within days.

The kit 4 can be converted to electric two ways, the underneath hatch method which I decided against or by replicating the ARTF by making a hatch between the front of the wing and the cowl and a tray inside similar to the ARTF 4. The top hatch method has the advantage of easy access to insert and remove the battery and connect / disconnect the battery / ESC (no turning the plane upside down).

Whichever way you make the kit it will take at least a month (me two) but the end product is your creation. I decided to, other than the hatch, make it exactly as per the instruction book, tail skid and closed loop wires on the rudder with as per book connection to the rudder servo. I am not sure what others have done but rather than standard size servos, the veneered foam wings have cutouts for 17G standard micro servos and I decided that Hitec HS82MG servos would be man enough and went with them. They are probably a lot more powerful than the original single servo setups in Wot4s and I don’t intend trying 3D with it.

In summary, if you want it flying soon ARTF, if you like building, Foss kit.

On 14/05/2021 at 20:17, Phil McCavity said:

For pre-order at Nexus.

Appears to be in stock at Colin Bliss. When I added to basket and went to checkout there was no mention of stock levels.

That's all I can find atm outside of the ARTB kit unless you are prepared to buy used?

I had an extended conversation with Colin Bliss himself earlier today - a knowledgeable chap who obviously cares about the hobby/sport. He didn't have the ARTF but it sounds like shipping a container from wherever the Ripmax ARTFs are made went from £1800 to £8000. I would buy used if there were any available in a good condition.

12 hours ago, Phil McCavity said:

Does it absolutely have to be a Wot4, have you thought about the Max thrust Riot as an alternative?

I'm a little more confident about the build of the Wot 4 classic kit now - Colin helped me understand the model is sold as an advanced trainer and build instructions are commensurate with that level. It is something I've wanted to do, building from pre-cut parts. He was saying the classic is most comparable to Ripmax's ARTF. the kit version sold as the mk3 is a larger wingspan but not as well-regarded as the classic's wing profile.

Regards the Riot, I don't really know much about it. All I can say is it's not the model that others have recommended.

2 hours ago, Richard Ashworth said:

I have both an ARTF and a Foss kit Wot4, not the Foss Classic but the Mk3 tapered wing. The kit 4 is relatively new (bought half as a make project during Covid) and I have only flown it 3 times but first impression was that it was a slightly nicer plane to fly and thats saying a lot as I really like the ARTF 4. 

As regards the two planes, the ARTF 4 with the electric pack goes together very easily and will have you flying it within days.

The kit 4 can be converted to electric two ways, the underneath hatch method which I decided against or by replicating the ARTF by making a hatch between the front of the wing and the cowl and a tray inside similar to the ARTF 4. The top hatch method has the advantage of easy access to insert and remove the battery and connect / disconnect the battery / ESC (no turning the plane upside down).

Whichever way you make the kit it will take at least a month (me two) but the end product is your creation. I decided to, other than the hatch, make it exactly as per the instruction book, tail skid and closed loop wires on the rudder with as per book connection to the rudder servo. I am not sure what others have done but rather than standard size servos, the veneered foam wings have cutouts for 17G standard micro servos and I decided that Hitec HS82MG servos would be man enough and went with them. They are probably a lot more powerful than the original single servo setups in Wot4s and I don’t intend trying 3D with it.

In summary, if you want it flying soon ARTF, if you like building, Foss kit.

I think I'm plumping for the kit and despite wanting two models at the field ASAP, this weather's preventing me from getting there anyway! Thanks for your comments, Colin Bliss repeated your remarks about the feel of the classic kit. I think we're looking at 2-3months for stock of ARTFs.

Thanks Phil, didn't know BMFA had that. Having a quick scroll and it looks like a mixed bag - there's a foamie wot 4 on there but the usual story with regards postage, they won't do it for fear of damage.

For those of you that have flown any wot 4 - have you also flown an Evolution Models Fusion 2? They're called a funfly model and wondered if they were anything like the wot 4?

I haven’t got one but I think the Fusion 2 is machine with big control surfaces primarily designed for extreme aerobatics but with VERY turned down throws can fly sedately. It’s a machine for fun flying after you master a Wot 4.

Talking of which, before you get to either an ARTF or kit Wot4 and definitely before an Acrowot I would recommend you consider a Wot 4 Foam e. £140 including motor, ESC and servos. Repairable with brown Gorilla glue and cocktail sticks and flying on “cheap” 3S 2200 Lipos and a 4 channel receiver. You could have it flying in 2 hrs and it would not be too expensive a loss should the inevitable happen. (I killed 2 in my first 12 months, one dumb thumbs one by not properly fastening the wing on!).

Thanks for all the remarks, but I did end up finding an ARTF at ModellbauUK.

Earlier in the thread, the recommendation was to buy servos from a known source rather than eBay/Amazon. Does that extend to buying 4max branded servos from 4max? They're not Futaba, but they seem to have a good rep for getting power systems right, and they're in stock and well-priced.

15 hours ago, Mitchell Howard said:

Thanks for all the remarks, but I did end up finding an ARTF at ModellbauUK.

Earlier in the thread, the recommendation was to buy servos from a known source rather than eBay/Amazon. Does that extend to buying 4max branded servos from 4max? They're not Futaba, but they seem to have a good rep for getting power systems right, and they're in stock and well-priced.

Nice one, glad you found what you was looking for.

I don't know about 4Max servos but if they have good reviews then it will be based on genuine 4Max servos so buy directly from them, if they are not something like rebranded TowerPro then they will be made specifically for them to their spec. The problem comes when you buy outside of the proper retailer. TowerPro being a good example, decent budget servos but buy from Steve Webb or other reputable trader supplied directly by them as they are cloned to death and of widely varying reliability elsewhere.