First Balsa build- Please advice

herreraa

My son (9Y) asked to me for a balsa plane that he acan build (he is 9Y). He is training on a H9 of 63in glow, but no landing or laking off yet. 

I have not experience building medium balsa but some building foam. My son does not have much patience , he has ADHD and al looking for something easy to build and with able to do some basic loops in the air. He loves warbirds and he wanted to fly the large onces one day.

I was thiking something like the Q-tee.

Any recommendations are realy appreciated

Thanks

Alex

Kay, TX

I would probably build something that would be a suitable 2nd model after his trainer. Hopefully, the idea of working on the model that is another step towards his warbird dreams will help overcome any impatience and keep him engaged in the build. 

If the model is also able to use the same engine/equipment as his trainer it minimises the added cost of buying new equipment as you can recycle what you have. Also, should the trainer ultimately be retired and its gear moved to this new model, the gear can also be moved back really quickly in the event of damage to the new model so he can keep flying. 

I would take a look at the galaxy/pegasus range on the pegasus models website. These models use foam core decks and wings to speed construction as well as balsa frame fuselages. They are considered old fashioned now, but i am stll a fan as they build quickly and are pretty robust. 

The musketeer is a nice little model and i think there is a build thread here on the forum which may give you pointers if you get lost https://www.pegasusmodels.co.uk/product.asp?type=mainmenu&maingp=RC Aircraft&id=Sports&prodid=994303#.YJ1EZrVKiUk 

EDIT:

Forum thread here 

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines

2 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

I would probably build something that would be a suitable 2nd model after his trainer. Hopefully, the idea of working on the model that is another step towards his warbird dreams will help overcome any impatience and keep him engaged in the build. 

If the model is also able to use the same engine/equipment as his trainer it minimises the added cost of buying new equipment as you can recycle what you have. Also, should the trainer ultimately be retired and its gear moved to this new model, the gear can also be moved back really quickly in the event of damage to the new model so he can keep flying. 

I would take a look at the galaxy/pegasus range on the pegasus models website. These models use foam core decks and wings to speed construction as well as balsa frame fuselages. They are considered old fashioned now, but i am stll a fan as they build quickly and are pretty robust. 

The musketeer is a nice little model and i think there is a build thread here on the forum which may give you pointers if you get lost https://www.pegasusmodels.co.uk/product.asp?type=mainmenu&maingp=RC Aircraft&id=Sports&prodid=994303#.YJ1EZrVKiUk 

EDIT:

Forum thread here 

Jon, 

Many thanks for the advice. I will try to find one in the USA.

Alex