Black Arrow RCM&E August 1976

Dave Greer

All RCME and RM plans including X list plans should be in the Sarik Hobbies plan service.   However some were scrapped before X list acquired them, some that were less popular or damaged.  ( info from the man who acquired them, saving them from being put in the skip, and called them X list),   Black Arrow was not listed in the 1983/4 Plans Handbook so maybe didnt survive.

However the plan in the magazine looks easy enough to scale up from the magazine plan using a ruler and calculator just as people did before scanners and printers became available.   Basically one takes the stated wingspan and divides it by the measured wingspan  using a calculator.   The figure is kept in the calculator as a constant and then every other measurement you take is multiplied by this constant.  Millimetres are easiest.  Then all measurements are taken from any convenient straight line to create your own drawing.   Only basic lines are needed not all the construction detail.   Give it a try if you really want to build this design!

Edited by kc

On 16/05/2021 at 16:46, kc said:

You could buy a copy of RCME and get a better copy to start from which might enlarge on a copier.  A set of all the 1976 copies is for sale here ( about the same as a plan now! )

Hi - I have actually ordered the ebay mag (seemed last one) but 6 months or nix at all is the norm here on the southern tip of Africa. ?

My target was a quick build for a slope fly away September 21, thus trying to get ahead of the post game. ?

Cheers

Dave

Dave, I didn't realise you were that far away.   I thought the ebay magazines would reach you in a few days.

However I have finally found my copy of the magazine and will email a scanned copy of the tiny 1/5th scale plan if it's any help to you    ( too late if you have spent the money!  But it's not lost money as you can still read the magazines and then resell them!  Old RCME still seem very worthwhile reading) 

I have scanned the plan at 600dpi to a PDF and it looks as though it might print at full size (500percent) and be useable.    So if you want it send me a Private Message with your email address.

Whilst checking that the plan in the magazine is really 1/5th full size I realised that the method of scaling up by measuring wing and comparing to stated span works well but only if you actually measure the span.   This plan with swept back wing caught me out as only 1 wing half is shown so you cannot measure  wing tip to wingtip.   If you just measure along the wing half it won't work out - you need to measure from extreme wingtip to a point along fuselage centre line AT RIGHT ANGLES and double it.   The centre line is not shown at the point so you have to extend it.

Anyway I have done it for you and if all the measurements of the magazine plan are multiplied by 5 it should produce a 53 inch span model. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/05/2021 at 14:49, kc said:

Whilst checking that the plan in the magazine is really 1/5th full size I realised that the method of scaling up by measuring wing and comparing to stated span works well but only if you actually measure the span.   This plan with swept back wing caught me out as only 1 wing half is shown so you cannot measure  wing tip to wingtip.   If you just measure along the wing half it won't work out - you need to measure from extreme wingtip to a point along fuselage centre line AT RIGHT ANGLES and double it.   The centre line is not shown at the point so you have to extend it.

Anyway I have done it for you and if all the measurements of the magazine plan are multiplied by 5 it should produce a 53 inch span model. 

Thanks muchly, I have pm'd you ?

Cheers

Dave