Vic Smeed Ballerina build

Jon H

I will soon be taking delivery of a Vic Smeed Ballerina kit and hope to get into building it in the not too distant future. I plan a full tissue/dope/diesel build with 2 channel radio and an AM10 engine. 

Although not my usual fare i used to have a model like this and i find them very enjoyable to fly. There also seems to be some discussion at my club about a bunch of us building some small diesel models for a bit of nostalgia. The smell of the diesel is also very therapeutic! 

I also have no space for anything bigger ?

Assuming there is interest i will document my adventures as and when i get stuck in ?

• Like 2

Interesting  Nightflyer, I have all three in my hanger! Mamselle is oldest nearly 20 years and is 1.5 times original size. Tomboy is a bit newer about 15 years and powered by, you guessed it Mill .75!  Ballerina recently finished sports an AM 10. Not flown yet but I suspect a bit overpowered.

The eagle sparrow has landed

Tiny little box, but it contains all of the required laser cut parts, plans, wheels and pre bent u/c and elevator wire. The quality of the laser cutting and plan printing is excellent ?

20210515_101231.thumb.jpg.1f70c3c6b002497a93815170d62afe60.jpg20210515_101243.thumb.jpg.c091b0536acf224c792d81273d690d5b.jpg20210515_101305.thumb.jpg.9efb02a37b32742f87cce3276321b84a.jpg20210515_101355.thumb.jpg.d898845053b69fc0546c75a9e452a9f8.jpg

I agree that my AM10 is probably over doing it a bit, but its the smallest engine i have and i can always run it a little short of compression to keep the power levels under control 

• Like 1

On 14/05/2021 at 09:59, Jon - Laser Engines said:

I will soon be taking delivery of a Vic Smeed Ballerina kit and hope to get into building it in the not too distant future. I plan a full tissue/dope/diesel build with 2 channel radio and an AM10 engine. 

Although not my usual fare i used to have a model like this and i find them very enjoyable to fly. There also seems to be some discussion at my club about a bunch of us building some small diesel models for a bit of nostalgia. The smell of the diesel is also very therapeutic! 

I also have no space for anything bigger ?

Assuming there is interest i will document my adventures as and when i get stuck in ?

Hi John welcome back to the "Oily hand society"

A few of us in our club have an occasional "Diesel day" for nostalgia sake. Lots of fun plus the great smell of the fuel. ?

Sorry Ron, been slacking as i went to old warden today. Got a bit soggy but there was plenty to see i the sky. 

ED, yep really looking forward to some diesel action. If i had my way, anyone who wants to fly i/c will be handed a 1cc diesel and told they are not allowed to buy anything until they can demonstrate 5 starts/flights with it. They would soon learn to listen to their engine! 

I could have cut out all the parts...Nah, i will take the nice accurate kit parts thanks. Cop out? I think of it more like a modern take on a classic. It could be worse too, i could have ordered the electric version! ? 

Anywho, i do plan to tissue it just for the sake of sniffing the dope nostalgia. I also have some tissue in stock so it makes sense to use it. I just have to remember how to use it as its been a while! 

3 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Very pretty. I fancy blue fuselage (like yours) but natural tissue wings. 

What size is your mp jet?

The MP jet is .65cc. I think it is based on the Mills engine but built using modern machinery. It is a lovely engine Built by a Czech company. I dont think they make it anymore but do still make model engines.  Richard

19 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Very pretty. I fancy blue fuselage (like yours) but natural tissue wings. 

What size is your mp jet?

Be careful what you wish for John. Natural tissue wings have a habit of disappearing against the sky if its cloudy or hazy as it mostly is in the UK?