Reliable mini servos for under a tenner?

Forumites, I need your collective experience...

Apologies if this has been done before; the search was not forthcoming.

I have just installed a pair of Emax ES08MAII servos in the wings of my latest build. Whilst checking the linkages were bind free, I found that the servos appear to have no power. If I rest my finger lightly on the aileron, the servo does not have the power to drive it. The 'gearing' is the same as in my tempest, so it's not that I am asking too much of it. Both the servos I recently bought are the same.

They are on extension leads, but I have run them direct with the same result. They appear to be weak. I suspect they may be forgeries.

Prior to this I had some no-name metal gear 12g servos that had no idea where centre was.

I'm aware that these are cheap products, but both are no use whatsover. I also understand the philosophy of pay little/ pay twice. I am clearly paying twice! I do accept the consequences of my buying decisions...

Surely there are some useable 12g size servos out there for under a tenner each? The problem is that there is huge choice, but no provenance unless the name brands are used, and then the cost sky-rockets.

What are you guys using, and do they centre properly and have enough power to get out of their own way?

Thanks

GRaham

Hi Denis,

Yes, these were my first thoughts. I had been using a NiMh pack for setting up and hadn't charged it for ages so suspected that. However, on the flight pack through the BEC the problem was the same.

I suspected voltage drop on the extension lead so tried them directly too. I also ran them into other Rx channels. All the same on both Emax servos; no grunt!

Graham

1 hour ago, EarlyBird said:

Here you go.

12g Corona in stock.

Earlybird those are DS919MG servos, 1.7kg/cm and not the same as the DS929MG.

Graham, which warehouse are you looking in?

The Corona DS929MG are in stock in the UK warehouse here (£6.26p). I have bought dozens of them for small models and they are excellent in my opinion. There are many 'cheap' servos available off eBay that are copies, which have poor centring, are weak and unreliable.  

Emax is not noted for being a quality brand although I am sure many have found them to be satisfactory. 

Edited by Piers Bowlan

Thanks Piers.

Those are in HK. I tend to limit my HobbyKing searches to UK warehouse/ In stock. I'd prefer not to wait 5-29 days for delivery when this is the only thing (apart from the weather) holding up the maiden flight of my Yak3. The law of sod would see perfect weather until the day they arrived!

Graham

2 minutes ago, Graham Davies 3 said:

Thanks Piers.

Those are in HK. I tend to limit my HobbyKing searches to UK warehouse/ In stock. I'd prefer not to wait 5-29 days for delivery when this is the only thing (apart from the weather) holding up the maiden flight of my Yak3. The law of sod would see perfect weather until the day they arrived!

Graham

That is odd, they are showing as 'in stock' in the UK on my computer!

26 minutes ago, Piers Bowlan said:

Earlybird those are DS919MG servos, 1.7kg/cm and not the same as the DS929MG.

Piers I never said they were Graham was asking for.

12 hours ago, Graham Davies 3 said:

Surely there are some useable 12g size servos out there for under a tenner each?

I felt I had answered the original question.

I am going to give up trying to be helpful.

2 hours ago, Lima Hotel Foxtrot said:

I havent had a problem with these puppies in some pretty large slow models or fast wings. Support a UK LMS!

https://www.addlestone-models.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=etroni&PN=ET2006-ETRONIX-METAL-GEAR-SERVO--9g--2.5Kg-cm--0.10sec-60deg--ET2006.html#SID=135

I saw the Etronix range on Steve Webb's website and thought they were a viable option; an endorsement is very helpful

Graham

5 hours ago, FlyinBrian said:

These are also available from Servoshop, they are fast and powerful for their size

https://servoshop.co.uk/index.php?pid=SG92&area=Servo

Oh, please make sure you do buy from a reliable source as even though these servos are cheap as the proverbial French fries (which are not so cheap these days) they do get copied. Steve Webb guarantees the ones he sells are genuine

Wookman, thanks for that. Yes, on the face of it there are plenty. This is the problem; there are hundreds of options and deciding on a reliable option is the hard bit. It's personal recomendation that carries the real weight.

FlyinBrian, totally agree. Got my fingers burned. A mate told me once; "stop saving money, it's costing a fortune"...

16 minutes ago, FlyinBrian said:

Oh, please make sure you do buy from a reliable source as even though these servos are cheap as the proverbial French fries (which are not so cheap these days) they do get copied. Steve Webb guarantees the ones he sells are genuine

Servo Shop is part of Steve Webb Models.