FMS Alpha Jet EDF conversion

4 years ago I saw an FMS alpha jet chuck glider in my local model shop and bought it for my lad to play with when he got older. 

A friend bought one of those hobbyking/sky angel f16 micro edf... he couldnt fly it and broke it, I'd glue it, test fly it, laugh my wotsits off at how much fun it was to fly before he would have a go and break it again. Eventually the foam to glue ratio was heading in the wrong direction, t.hats when I noticed the alpha jet looked ideal for the 35mm edf....

Strengthened the wing and horizontal stabilser with carbon fibre rods. 

Got lively with the soldering iron to melt foam to shape to house servos etc.

used a toothpick to hold the edf unit in ?

servos 2 x 2g

25a esc

35mm edf 1100kv

Flying weight with 2s 500mah 20-30c lipo is 173g

Only this week did I get to fly it and I thought Id post up some pics (not got any flying vids - yet) 
Im simply amazed that it flew based on the fact I have no idea what i am doing and made it up as I went, guessed where the CoG would be and a bunch of other stuff that if I had thought about it would not have bothered with the conversion.

I will be putting another one together that looks better and with some modifications to the controls, on the skyangel there is a servo per side and the aileron is linked to the elevator on each side whereas on this model I have gone with a servo for Ailerons and another for elevator. Pitch control seems ok but banking seems slow so  I will probably change it to the skyangel style of control to see if that makes it quicker at turning. Other than a fairly large turning circle I was impressed.

Hopefully I can inspire others to be made.

20210527_160349.jpg

20210527_160359.jpg

20210527_160425.jpg

20210527_160444.jpg

20210527_160506.jpg

20210527_160512.jpg

Edited by Mark Wood 2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Smooth wide turns required or she'll roll in. Ive added another servo/limkage for rudder control which has taken weight +3.7g taking total flying weight to 176.7g.

Thinking I may need to mix rudder to elevator to get some tighter turns.

No flights or vids yet with rudder...

• Like 1