Frank Wooton, aviation artist

Geoff S

My brother turned up unexpectedly this afternoon and presented me with this book he'd found in a second-hand bookshop (as he was on his way back from Matlock it may have been Scarthin books in Cromford).  He regularly brings me books he's found to do with either aviation or sailing (one on Thames sailing barges and once a fantastic book by Uffa Fox which has numerous articles on his designs in the 1930s)

DSCF0229.thumb.JPG.d804b36e6c47d1ca45675364d3c9dbf9.JPGDSCF0227.thumb.JPG.417efbe61d08f09dbfd1f9bbf2513f3a.JPG

It's a large format  book (320 mm x290 mm) with about 95 pages and numerous full cover images of his paintings (often executed in a few hours on site) and beautiful pencil sketches.  Probably one of his best known pictures is the one on the right of Spitfires flying low over a ploughman and his team of horses.

A lovely addition to my book shelves.  My brother is an artist of mostly water colour landscapes but not in the same class as Wooton.

Geoff

• Like 1

Yes, I am lucky.  The book isn't mint but still in excellent condition.  The price in 1996 was £40 so quite expensive.  Obviously I've no idea how much my brother paid for it.  He's developed a ponytail during the pandemic and I offered him a hair cut as a thanks but he declined gracefully ?

Geoff

• Haha 2