Hangar 9 P-51 Sport 40

Almost forgot I bought this, has been stuck at the back of the garage for years, and now I have retired my twinstar (to the bin ? ) I have hangar space for another model.

Hangar 9 P-51 Mustang 40 Sport ARF: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games

I have a Turnigy G46 motor/60amp controller to go in it and will run it on 4S packs. Also have the Robart retract system to install too, but may actually leave them off to start with as my field is a bit bumpy (and it will be my first time using retracts). A few more chores to do today then the build starts, photos to follow....

• Like 1

Build pause until my servo leads arrive. Managed to fit the speed controller today and stick in some foam blocks to keep the battery in place. The screw down block that was meant to hold the fuel tank in place has been glued to a former as it was the correct size/place to stop aft movement of the battery pack.

image.png.705fa27884037a03db714664ada86e03.png

image.png.f4b5230f24ab45af25cb5a0f8f6baf30.png

Soon as my leads arrive I can mount the 4 servos  in the wings and setup the control links...may get a flight at the weekend...

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished setting the throws and getting the DR & Expo setup for some (hopefully) docile stuff along side hooligan settings, balances up spot on with a Turnigy 4s 5000 pack in it minus the cowel. Not being very brave and leaving the cowel off for its maiden, my field is not the smoothest, but it will be on after a couple of flights. Forcast 10mph winds and no rain tomorrow, 3mph and 40% chance of rain Saturday, will check in the morning to see if a lunchtime fight is on.

• Like 1

Well got 2 8min flights in today with no dramas, looks great in the air, need to get those retracts sorted (will need to roll my strip though)

image.png.3dd8547112b8883dc96980ef0767cc19.png

image.png.7be4cfe2eb0839d638de4c242482531e.png

Horses need to clear my flying patch a bit more, will need to mow it otherwise! I need to have a tweak on the rates, elevator doesn't need it, just a touch of  expo, ailerons need it, on full rates it is twitchy. I am currently marking out my strip with electric tape to keep the nags away when flying, need to remember to add a bit more space for the next flight, it was like trying to land on a carrier LOL too used to flying foamys. Time to fit the cowel up i think.

• Like 2

Its got its nose on now, think I am going to have to put the rear air vent in now, not kean on the instuctions way of doing it which is basically cut a square hole in the fim in the base of the fuz under the star. Will see if I can glue in a balsa plate so that the coering has some support around the hole. I suppose I could build a scale-ish radiator outlet and glue that on.....will have a think.

image.thumb.png.2a97f8610afdfd9af89992d830b3fa7e.png