Pfalz E1 Flies At Last

Cliff 1959

The Pfalz E1 flies well after all, persistence pays off, the first three attempts proved challenging. My initial problem was a rearward cg coupled with too much control throw and possibly to smaller a fin area, whatever it was after both wings being badly damaged and rebuilt she now flies really well, I'm looking forward to more flights to come, over short grass this time!

• Like 1

Good to see it fly well,? but taking photos or videos pointing into the sun.  It is why there were no TV pics from Apollo 12, Astronaut Alan Bean accidentally pointed the camera at the sun and fried it.

Cameras today are better/tougher but pics will still be rubbish. ?  Re run needed ?

Edited by J D 8

Glad to see you got it flying ok in the end. Sometimes these smaller models can be more challenging to trim out than the bigger ones. The flip side is that they bounce better!

It's really good to see someone promoting these smaller models.  I think a lot of people don't realise how much fun can be had from these relatively simple and inexpensive models.

3 hours ago, John T said:

Glad to see you got it flying ok in the end. Sometimes these smaller models can be more challenging to trim out than the bigger ones. The flip side is that they bounce better!

It's really good to see someone promoting these smaller models.  I think a lot of people don't realise how much fun can be had from these relatively simple and inexpensive models.

Thanks John, I think these little planes are often overlooked because they have to be built, and as we know, building is a dying part of our hobby. Yes, I have foamies in the hangar, but for the fun of the challenge these models can't be beaten. I belong to several Facebook groups that are global and there are still an awful lot of modellers out there but I fear in the next 20 to 30 years not so many, it's a shame. 

Of course, if there's a global foam meltdown happy days will be here again.