Euros 2020 ? Football.

2 hours ago, Outrunner said:

Football ? 4 weeks of it coming up, run for the hills, or the flying field!

Is it really 4 weeks?  At least the Tour de France starts in 2 weeks so there's an alternative for me. 

Geoff

18 minutes ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

To be quite frank, I've never managed to see the attraction in standing by the side of a road waiting for a glint of aluminium and lycra to flash past in a drug enhanced haze.  But each to his own...

Cynic, you will be telling me next that successful football players don’t start being coached in childhood to cheat. You rob me of of my innocence. I am bereft.

Lycra. Flash. Ladies?. Beat lie down in a dark place.

Edited by Don Fry
Fantacies

On 11/06/2021 at 20:37, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

To be quite frank, I've never managed to see the attraction in standing by the side of a road waiting for a glint of aluminium and lycra to flash past in a drug enhanced haze.  But each to his own...

When we've watched the Tour in person we've cycled to where the stage is (usually Alps or Pyrenees), camped, and then cycled up the Col the riders were going to ride later in the day.  The scenery is magnificent and there's usually some banter amongst the spectators beforehand.  So we've had a ride and seen the stars ride a climb at the same speed we ride on the flat ?  I've never been a fan of spectating on a regular basis.  I watch sports occasionally and usually ones where I've been a participant at a lowly level - sailing, cycling and motorcycling, mostly.  The last time I played football was over 70 years ago and it has no interest for me but I'm sure it's great to play, and that's the important thing. 

Watching the 3 major 3 week stage races on TV (or my PC) is a treat for my old age.  And, as for drugs, cycling has and is doing more to fight abuse than any other sport.  Cycling was probably the first major professional sport and physically about the most demanding - especially 100 years ago - and taking anything from alcohol onwards was seen as a way to ease the pain of racing 100+miles/day for 3 weeks.  5 times winner Anquetil said you can't win the Tour on mineral water - perhaps not but nutrition is still key.

Obviously I'd like to see England (or any UK team) do well in the European Championships but I won't bother watching because football isn't my 'thing'.  Unfortunately for most media football and sport are synonymous much of the time so minority sports get little coverage.

Geoff

Denmark Vs Finland was a bit dramatic.  Pleased the lad who collapsed was OK but wonder if there is a major problem for him in his career.  Hope he gets back to playing at the top level.  I wonder how much that affected the Danes especially as the Ericson would have taken the penalty.  Still, the Finns did well to beat the Danes for the first time in many years if ever.

Difficult to judge how good Belgium were as the Russians were a bit mediocre.  At least Wales didn't lose.

• Like 1

I thought Gareth Bale's penalty miss showed that he had not decided what he was going to do before he started his run up.  He was lucky that Wales were not punished by a Turkish goal although his efforts in the dying moments of the game showed that he had switched on the tactics section of his brain.  His second attack from the last corner was well worked and finally nailed the Turks to the floor!  I have to say, playing footie in those temperatures must be pretty trying.

I am an England supporter, but when it comes to the Euros or World cup I will always cheer on the home Nations. To me it was a pity that England and Scotland were drawn in the same group which makes the  chances of  Scotland progressing  poor if they lose. I would have liked England, Wales and Scotland all go through to the next stage.