Euros 2020 ? Football.

Enjoyed the matches I've watched. I thought the squad were excellent. Far cry from the team of old.

In the end the Italians outplayed us and had the lads on the defensive for the best part of the game, I was surprised we held 1-1 through extra time. Penalties, could have been either team easily, luck wasn't with us.

5 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

The inevitable racist abuse directed at the three young players who failed to convert their penalties, after the event. The FA/Police/Social media providers need to collaborate to identify the perpetrators and take the appropriate actions, with regards to bans and prosecutions.

As for the MP opining that Marcus Rashford ought to concentrate on his penalty technique, rather than getting involved with politics, words fail me.

That MP should concentrate on politics and telling the truth rather than getting involved in sport!

Edited by Martin Harris - Moderator
Party political reference deleted
  • Like 3

With regard to the racist abuse dished out on social media to the young England players if these tweets/posts/facebook comments etc. concerned terrorism, child abuse or drug dealing the police would be knocking doors down in a matter of hours - they can find them, it is a matter of do they actually want to?

The big social media companies should immediately clamp down on anonymity. Its like CCTV, if you not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to fear!

The law should be changed to make all social media users able to be identified.

• Like 1

Robert, there is an alternative view to anonymity in  countries with repressive regimes.   However, the general thrust of your argument about anonymity in social media in this country is well made.  Bear in mind that quite a lot of the racist abuse is said to have originated outside the country.  Anonymity on social media has led to a complete breakdown in social behaviour as perpetrators fell able to say things they wouldn't dare to say in face-to-face conversation.  

Making social media companies publishers would go a long way to preventing such anti-social behaviour.  Closer to home, why are there so many contributors on this bit of social media sailing under anonymous names?  What do they fear? 

That having been said, our Mods do a fantastic job of keeping us on the straight and narrow so congratulations Mods.