Euros 2020 ? Football.

I was lucky enough to be at Euro96 at the England v Scotland match.  It took my ears around 4 hours to stop ringing from the crowd noise!  I thought the noise would abate during half time but it didn't!  Don't know where the crowd got the lung power to generate so much noise but I wished I'd taken ear defenders that day!  I shall always remember Gazza's amazing goal.  Just couldn't believe how casual he made it look.  I don't suppose there'll be a similar wonder goal this time but we can but live in hope.

We had several clues but never noticed them.  It helps to attack at pace rather than meander up the field giving the opposition time to get back!  They needed a bomb up their backsides.  Sadly, the manager couldn't deliver the kick when needed.  He's going to have his work cut out before the next game to get the team to re-focus on attacking football played at pace.

I think one of the TV pundits described Englands performance as 'Pedestrian' and said that the only player worth anything was Pickford. Agree that the Foden decision was hard to fathom. Pull your socks up boys you might have to meet Belgium in later rounds. We had some good talent twiddling their thumbs on the bench as well - Sanchoz?

Edited by Robert Cracknell
Addition

The overhyped darling of English football, Harry Kane was substituted again having not troubled the keeper and pedestrian describes the England performance perfectly. The contrast with a Scotland team, full of fight and effort, couldn't be more stark. On paper they shouldn't have been able to live with England - but the game isn't and wasn't played on paper.

• Like 1

Southgate needs to have a rethink. We are not going to break down any well organised international defence with Rice AND Phillips in the middle, their instinct is to hold the ball and move it sideways (very slowly on yesterday’s evidence). We have to trust the defence more and stick with only one holding midfielder. He also needs to do something with Sterling who had another monumentally average game - I think it’s time give Grealish a run from the start, he looked threatening running with the ball and won loads of free kicks. Why he removed Foden (probably the best of the bunch on the night) rather than Sterling, completely baffling… ?

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

The weather was the same for both teams, but maybe Scotland are more used to it than the white team. 

Let's have a whip round and get them a can of wd40 each !

Anyway, a result.

Hope all goes well for Wales in the next match, not that I am overly interested in football.

I watched the game which was boring...

21 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Seriously?

Not really, it was tongue in cheek, England was disappointingly pedestrian, and manager decision to substitute Foden looked a big mistake. Pickford earned his corn too

13 minutes ago, i12fly said:

Not really, it was tongue in cheek, England was disappointingly pedestrian, and manager decision to substitute Foden looked a big mistake. Pickford earned his corn too

No argument there.  Let's hope the disappointing result was the kick in the posterior that they need to change their attitude. How much could we do with a Kante giving some positivity in midfield?  There seems to be a fear of failure that brings out the negativity in what could be seen as easier matches (although the home nations rivalry means that these will never run to "paper" form) and now is the time for Southgate to start earning his salary, make some intelligent starting selections/tactics and fire up the team - and (unless there was an unnoticed injury concern) stop substituting players making meaningful contributions!

Eternal optimist here.

Back at the turn of the year, I was putting my hopes on winning the Champions League when Chelsea hit a terrible run in the PL - now they are the current trophy holders and qualified for next year's competition by league place as well. I suspect many would have doubted my sanity!

I can only keep those same fingers crossed...?

I cvame back from our club BBQ a bit knackered yesterday and after unloading and putting the leisure battery bck on charge settled down to watch the Portugal vs Germany game. I'd missed Ronaldo's opener, but saw the German equaliser and them go into the lead. Next thing I woke up and it was 4-2 with a couple of minutes left. ? The games do seem to get getting better as the tournament warms up.Best of luck to Wales today -it would be great if they could get a good result.